When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1655 sourcing .. off to Canada now

lanikai

This Hobby is surely "more than jus watches.. I have learned the "patience" of the "Hunt" .. what I mean is .. when I first saw TMG's 1655 I was not taken aback immediately .. but the more I saw it posted the more it "grew" and GREW

and after learning a little more.. and thanks to TMG tech support as well researching .. or trying to on my own.. I started the "Journey" of the hunt..

and I will say seeing Ubi's desire for perfection in his frankens served as a rosetta stone for what this hobby is about.. so it was too, viewing Tribal and Jojo's frankens.. but I am not to the point of evolution in this hobby to go all the way with genuine movement and such.. but this project has taught me that patience trancends the end result and the feeling of satisfaction and anticipation in now savouring and feeling "safe" in the fact that it is headed to RWG's Master Horologist..

Here are some pics of "some" of the parts that my dealers have helped me with .. and Thank you to.. Joshua (perfect clones) and Chris (eurotimez) for the patience and unending energy to source discontinued parts for me.. believe me it took more than one erroneous piece to get it correct.. no fault of the dealers.. but these parts are jus not available anymore..

but I cannot believe I did not take a pic of the case I will be using as it is the correct 40 mm as is the beautiful dial .. but more credits.. when I get it back in about a month.. :D

As I say I forgot to take an image of the case set.. that will be used as these cases are all well over 40 mm.. they will not be used..

but the correct size orange hand will be.. the second hand was custom built by MKII .. and the hour and minute are genuine Omega's that need to be modded to fit.. the correct bezel after 3 tries is obvious.. I stopped bidding at the genuine crystal at 500 usd .. a clarks will do for now.. it is the correct size mag and closer to the edge of the plastic crystal and also wider as the OEM..

1655assembley002jl2.jpg

The dial to the left is the one that will be used.. it is smaller to fit the 40 mm case .. I am extremely happy with it :D

1655assembley007cg4.jpg

The dial and bezel .. after many others that were incorrect..

21883402bt1.jpg

The Roman numeral II needs to be modded slightly the bars on top and bottom are a fraction of a mm too long.. and the T Swiss T should be fine.. I found variations to the genuine .. the Smaller markers need not be extended .. after Ziggy's vintage cream colour lume ... :) .. the coronet matches the genuine of this model I believe..

1655assembley009zp4.jpg

A genuine pic.. the Roman Numeral II on the Genuine .. so my dial needs jus a little taken off the top bars..

49793qr4.jpg

Another genuine

dscn9290yy1.jpg

Thank you to DBR for these pics .. what seems like so long ago.. thank you Mate !!

Well.. now the Anticipation.. feel like a kid awaiting Christmas.. :lol:

All I can say is thank you All for the support !!

Aloha~Cheers

R

Nice post R, you've done your research well. I know some of the stock in the donor pieces I purchased have change over the last two years or have been discontinued, so that is some great hunting on your part. Of course, that is half the thrill!

I'm glad I could help and stoke the 1655 fire :evil2: and I'm sure you'll be happy with the results. I know my project was quite rewarding.

All the best,

-S

Lani...I'm looking forward to this one. This is one of my Holy Grail project watches I dream of doing when I get the courage to start the process. Good for you for taking the plunge.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one completed. Wow...simply amazing...and Rob is going to do this one proud for sure!!

If you want some more gen pics...let me know...I can scan what you need from the Antiquorum catalogue!!

The big question is what engine are you sticking in this one??

Thank you All !!.. TMG.. Jojo.. Freddy..Cats..Dizzy..ToadT.. and Cableguy-(where have ya been man?).. are you between GF's now :rolleyes: .. another Hawaii Guy.. back.. good to see you posting brah !!

kruzer00 Posted Today, 01:09 AM

It will look great. And I have to agree the hunt can be more fun than the finished product. But here is my question for you - are you really going to wear a watch that small?

Well W,.. I believe I have evolved as every one does eventually.. from only the big timepieces to the history filled vintage models .. and actually I don't think it will wear small.. my explorer I is a 38 or 39, and it looks good on a bond strap .. and the 5513-369 is another 40 mm I wear on rotation weekly :D

369008bl0.jpg

Toadtorrent Posted Today, 03:56 AM

The big question is what engine are you sticking in this one??

I was tempted to go the genuine route.. but my finger frooze on pulling the trigger.. a little over 2k .. I admire those who do use the genuine movements in their frankens.. I think the farthest I would go would be the 1560 eta ... but for me it will be the plain ol eta 2836-2.. and after

Robs servicing it should be good for a long while

@paneraibob.. the bezel is 1 out of 4 I got,(3 were incorrect) has been discontinued ... I don't know if I would of gone forward with the 1655 without it.. or I would of had to go the genuine route .. which would be about 500 usd..

I never have a doubt about how Rob's work will turn out.. A perfectionist hand!!! B) the only thing that concerns me, is getting it right on my ends..

quote =

I stopped bidding at the genuine crystal at 500 usd .. a clarks will do for now.. it is the correct size mag and closer to the edge of the plastic crystal and also wider as the OEM..

/quote

I am ordering a few parts today and will include some generic 116 crystals on the order so if you want to try one...let me know. I am in the USA but can send one just about anywhere.

I have a couple genuine 116 rolex crystals and do not use them on projects but they only cost about $25 or $30 when I bought them from rolex/Dallas a few years ago so there is no way one is worth much over $50US. I only have two left so I better hang on to them as I still have a genuine 1675 and a friend has a 1655.

Since they are in sealed plastic bags, I do not want to open one to measure it but iirc the generics I have been getting are very close.

I have a 1655 replica from 'Paul' 3 or 4 years ago with a non adjustable 24 hour hand (eta 2836) and a generic rolex 16 generic was too loose on the case and in the bezel so I ended up using a generic 127 (for 1680) and sanded the sidewall off a little to lower the crystal. (hand stack from dial up...24h, h, m)

The bezel slipped over the 116 crystal with hardly any friction at all but it was fairly tight on the 127, but not tight as a genuine watch so I lightly glued the bezel to the crystal and case with 2 part waterproof epoxy to help hold it a little better.

I just now measured the 'Paul' 1655 case between 8 and 19 on the 24 hour bezel and the case is about 38mm in diameter. The bezel od is 37.4mm and the crystal is 30.30 where the sidewall rises above the bezel. (there is about 1mm of sidewall rising above the bezel)

The generic 127 od is 30.30mm, id is 28.15mm, and the sidwwall is 1.05mm thick. The crystal is about 5.5mm tall from base to top.

The generic 116 od is 30.25mm, id is 29.0mm, and the sidewall is .65mm thick. The crystal is 5.5mm tall.

note: the measurements are pretty close, within a few hundredths mm, measured with a Mitutoyo digital caliper. Every time you measure a plastic crystal you get a different figure but this is pretty close. You must also allow for the squared off jaws when measuring the rounded thickness of crystals.

The case is 13.9mm thick with the lowered 127 crystal.

There is no serial number on the case and only 'stainless steel' at 6 o'clock and 'registered design' and '1655' at 12 o'clock. The caseback is polished and slightly domed like the genuine watch.

I posted a comparison between this same case and a genuine 1655 case a few years ago on TRC but I do not know if it is still up or not. It was in a 1655 discussion somewhere.

Lani, it's the research that makes this hobby so much fun. I can't wait to see the finished project!

Sure the hunt is great but man it takes a lot of time :o

Lani, I'm so happy your project goes forward and I'm sure Ziggy will be very good in making it come true :1a: .

I hope to be able to share a 1655 wrist shot with you one day on your beautifull island :D

There is something magic in the 1655 and the SnowFlake.

They are so "different" ...

I sincerely wish you a lot of success Lani :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Warm regards,

Stephane

Nice one Lani, i'm also in the process of building one and TMG has been a great help to me too.

Just wondering.. the dial you're looks very much like an MBW dial (Chris supplied me one too) but they come up smaller than a gen 1655 dial so which case are you using?

Cheers

P.

Looking good R :thumbsupsmileyanim: Looking forward to seeing it post Canada

Whose case and dial are you ending up using?

The dial comes from Chris.. I asked permmision before posting this as he hunted every nook and cranny for this one.. it is discontinued .. there may be a few left though :)

As far as the case it is a 40mm,... I will give all the details and credits after Rob gives his expertise on everything fitting properly .. this one is still a work in progress .. all the reviews and "History" I have gone through as much literature and one variable is consistant .. it is a 40 mm case.. some say 39 mm .. depends how you measure (you know how that one goes)

so polep .. the MBW dial is correct as it should be able to fit a 40mm case without shaving the dial down..

I may have another second hand built as the one I had built was for a larger dial .. and the shorter Orange hand may fit the correct size dial.. this is where the error may have come into play (with the maker) he may have built the orange hand for a smaller dial and then decided to use a larger case and dial.. (that is jus speculation on my part)

Interestingly there was a predecesor to the 1655.. of which I have a dial for.. it is the "Air King" explorer .. with "Precision" printed .. instead of the normal Chronometer at the 6 .. it is also a small dial and case size ... I believe smaller than the 1655 at 40 mm.. same as the explorer I - 369 dial I have ..

that is another project waiting in the wings, and should be a cake walk for sourcing.. plain simple style.. ... Rolex saw the popularity in this (Air King Explorer) and from what I understand Rolex built the 1655 for cave explorers and (Sir Hillary was a more marketable marquee name) .. the cave explorers could not tell night from day so ergo the orange hand (or GMT hand)

Steve M. wore this watch on a daily basis .. ergo .. more marketing on Rolexes part.. he wore another for a movie.. (edit add) - he wore a Tag H. Manaco in the Movie "Lemans"

It is also noted that the 1655 did not become wildly popular until the early 90's as many watch collectors in the 70's (1655 built 1971 - red /orange hand .. 1980's orange / yellow hand.. ) .. thought of the 1655 as not one of Rolexes gems of watches.. too busy and non functional .. (built for "cave dwellers") .. It was first named in 1953.. so some say that Sir Hillary was only for Marketing.. as it was in use before then..

I hope to put all the pro's and cons of the "History of the 1655" when the project is complete .. because for me the History and timeline are very interesting .. to say the least... sort of like (for me) being an archeologist ... (on a very amatuer internet scale :rolleyes: )

@Stephane ... thank you so much for the warm words.. !!

Vlydog ....thanks for your support as alway's .. B)

Nice one Lani, i'm also in the process of building one and TMG has been a great help to me too.

Just wondering.. the dial you're looks very much like an MBW dial (Chris supplied me one too) but they come up smaller than a gen 1655 dial so which case are you using?

Cheers

P.

Cheers

P.

Actually polep.... I believe the MBW is the correct size as the genuine is measured (39 -40 mm) you know how measurements can be different depending on who is doing the measuring .. ie. from the 9 to CG... from the 9 to crown.. ergo (IMO) the difference in 1 mm from different vintage collectors..

Cheers

R.

Actually polep.... I believe the MBW is the correct size as the genuine is measured (39 -40 mm) you know how measurements can be different depending on who is doing the measuring .. ie. from the 9 to CG... from the 9 to crown.. ergo (IMO) the difference in 1 mm from different vintage collectors..

Cheers

R.

;) .. feels like Deja Vu .. I had to answer both questions... B)

It's amazing how much research has to go into deciding what to do. Awesome stuff...now stop answering posts and get that sucka to Ziggy so we can see the final product. ;)

:lol: ... the art of this hobby is not the finished product .. it is the variables that need to be tested and then reevalated then "tweaked" ... some of the parts that I sourced may be off by .25 mm or may be spot on.. but this project is really a labour of love .. I now have an entire box of parts literally .. I can build 2 more watches..

the research is sooo interesting to me.. like, I always could spend an entire day in the archives at the College library browsing through super old "Life" magazines...

so the more I get into the History of this watch the more I realize that a lot of what is stated was for marketing and the truth is this one could truly have been built for, "Cave dwellers" as the explorers thought of cave expeditions as "Lowly".. I need to find history books on cave expeditons circa 1971 .. maybe I can spot a 1655 on one of the famous "Cave Dwellers" .. and we are talking caves that could go on for miles and day's underground..

:lol: ... the art of this hobby is not the finished product .. it is the variables that need to be tested and then reevalated then "tweaked" ... some of the parts that I sourced may be off by .25 mm or may be spot on.. but this project is really a labour of love .. I now have an entire box of parts literally .. I can build 2 more watches..

the research is sooo interesting to me.. like, I always could spend an entire day in the archives at the College library browsing through super old "Life" magazines...

so the more I get into the History of this watch the more I realize that a lot of what is stated was for marketing and the truth is this one could truly have been built for, "Cave dwellers" as the explorers thought of cave expeditions as "Lowly".. I need to find history books on cave expeditons circa 1971 .. maybe I can spot a 1655 on one of the famous "Cave Dwellers" .. and we are talking caves that could go on for miles and day's underground..

I hear you about the research being so interesting. I feel I'm just starting my journey now...will start some basic work on watches...and then move on to the next step of assembling one of these mixed-source watches. Amazing.

The context for the watches is a great thing. If you can dig up some photos of the watch in action...that would be amazing. I have done a bit of technical caving in the past...but not in the caves for days sense. For inspiration on where this watch could be used...check out the latest National Geographic. There is a piece in there on caving in this big crystal cathedral. To describe it in text would not do justice...you have to see the pics. Outstanding, extreme, severe.

Everything the 1655 was (or is being) built for!!

I hear you about the research being so interesting. I feel I'm just starting my journey now...will start some basic work on watches...and then move on to the next step of assembling one of these mixed-source watches. Amazing.

The context for the watches is a great thing. If you can dig up some photos of the watch in action...that would be amazing. I have done a bit of technical caving in the past...but not in the caves for days sense. For inspiration on where this watch could be used...check out the latest National Geographic. There is a piece in there on caving in this big crystal cathedral. To describe it in text would not do justice...you have to see the pics. Outstanding, extreme, severe.

Everything the 1655 was (or is being) built for!!

I am assembling my Historic review and the time line of the Explorer .. so I don't want to spoil it.. (hint).. :rolleyes:

I will wait until then to post pics of the Air King Explorer .. the precursor to the 1655 .. the lume has turned fluffy on it.. so I'm not sure I will have it re-lumed..

also, some good news for me today.. I bid.. (low) on a T-25 116 genuine plastic crystal .. and won.. so I hope to send that to Canada in time for the final assembly B)

I am assembling my Historic review and the time line of the Explorer .. so I don't want to spoil it.. (hint).. :rolleyes:

I will wait until then to post pics of the Air King Explorer .. the precursor to the 1655 .. the lume has turned fluffy on it.. so I'm not sure I will have it re-lumed..

also, some good news for me today.. I bid.. (low) on a T-25 116 genuine plastic crystal .. and won.. so I hope to send that to Canada in time for the final assembly B)

It will now have true Franken Status with that crystal. Awesome. No cheap Clarks for you. That time line is going to be great! I look forward to it.

;) .. feels like Deja Vu .. I had to answer both questions... B)

Haha! i like that, thanks!

The MBW 1655 dial i recieved off of Chris is smaller than the gen by around 0.5mm and will only fit a 5513 case. I guess you have the older version which TMG

used on his 1655 which is larger than the gen and will fit a rep case.

Good luck with the project looking forward to seeing it done.

P.