When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are our replicas water resistant?

imranbecks

I'm thinking of going swimming with my rep Omega SMP.. Is it advisable? I'm just not sure if its really water resistant.. I feel that the "helium valve" might invite water into the watch..... With that said, are our reps really water resistant and water tight? Any advise from members here would really be appreciated...

That was really helpful! Thanks!

So can I send my rep to a watch dealer to have it tested? Will they like turn me down since my watch is a rep?

You have to find a watchmaker who's willing to test a rep. Most in a big store or mall will do it for payment...and tell you that it won't pass because it's a rep. Just make sure to tell them it's a rep up front, otherwise they may try to test it immediately to the full rating of the gen which will likely fail.

That was really helpful! Thanks!

So can I send my rep to a watch dealer to have it tested? Will they like turn me down since my watch is a rep?

Hahahaha! You're funny! Your not serious, R u? Don't ever take ur rep to an AD/dealer! A watchsmith is more like it

and make sure to tell him/her that it's a fakey koz some wont touch them!

There's a lot of tutorial on how to waterproof (right word is water resistant) your watch. And one way is to open

your watch and check if you have rubber o-rings on the cover and the crown or tube! If you dont....your watch wont like

water!!!! If it does have it, check and see if its new and not kink or else replace, then apply thin coat of grease (all of

these you could buy from Ofrei.com!). HE valve is really for decoration and useles, I would apply a tin layer of monster

glue or fill it up around and let it dry hard! That would cover any tiny gaps in there if there is any! Put it back together

and make sure the back cover is tight and the rubber o ring does not stick out (sometimes it happens)! Ther you go,

your ready to dive...................in your bath tub! :D Jst kidding, if its a none chrono, You could probably take it short

of 100ft. But have it tested just to make sure....if you plan to dive with it! Good luck and have fun here! And I hope

you have a solid family because you will become and addict pretty soon and you need them to understand and be

there for you!

Shalom/Aloha/Mabuhay/Shallam Alaikum/Long live Barack Obama!

Lol.. I didn't mean a watch dealer such as Omega etc.. Anyway, I emailed the dealer that I got my watch from, he said that it is water resistant but he stated that I should not swim with it.. I better not then.. I'd rather not take the risk and end up destroying a beautiful rep.

Oh well, I guess I will just go swimming or do any water sports with my gen Seiko SKX007 then, which looks just as good..

5.jpg

Lol.. I didn't mean a watch dealer such as Omega etc.. Anyway, I emailed the dealer that I got my watch from, he said that it is water resistant but he stated that I should not swim with it.. I better not then.. I'd rather not take the risk and end up destroying a beautiful rep.

Oh well, I guess I will just go swimming or do any water sports with my gen Seiko SKX007 then, which looks just as good..

5.jpg

It might be still...just get it tested...and you'll know for sure. Testing will not harm the watch if done properly.

I do not really think you need to go a watch shop for this. I onw several watches and i can tell if they are water proof or not. if is a rolex, omega or breitling they are. just make sure that the caseback is secure and the crystal is pressed even. I have done scuba with MBW 1665 GW, Omega PO, And breitling no problems at all.

I had a gen Tissot Seastar 660 (I know, it's not exactly a rep-able watch, but nice nonetheless). Fully screwed down the crowns, and it leaked in 5 feet of water. Sent it in to Swatch USA, who sat on it waiting for parts... I emailed Tissot in Switzerland and had a brand new one in a new box in less than a week. Even gens leak if the QC slips.

Usually most of the good rep can have a decent water resistence.

Du to construction cost & assembling technique it is usually far from the gen though.

But since we are in the Omega subforum, i would advise against doing too much diving (or even swiming) with all the model that have a HEV valve.

The rep HEV (at least on the 2 SMP i had), is fully functional, it has a full hole thrue the case.

But the hev crown doesnt even have a gasket and you can't really add one.

Olso the hev tube is really poorly conected to the case.

Wich is a shame since the main watch crown as a corect protection & quality, and the caseback is rock solid.

It's a gen...no pearl! Gen manufacturers suggest re-testing for pressure every year.

I don't get it, if its a gen, why isn't there a pearl? Is it suppose to have no pearl for that particular model? What model is that?

Anyway, my SKX007K is still under warranty, will probably just risk it and go into the pool with it..