When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why Do You Have To Service A 7750 Before Wear?

Alan_Schezar

I have been lucky so far too. (knock on wood). But if/when they finally break, I am going to transplant route and buying a swiss 7750, which makes more sense to me than paying almost the price of a swiss 7750 movement to service the asian.

I agree that it's a bargain overall, and on some models, it's better to replace the asian 7750 with a swiss one. I have done that modification to a number of Breitlings with the real 7750 layout (12,9, and 6 subdials). Again it's a choice, some elect to have the Asian serviced, some buy a new ETA 7750, and have me replace it...whatever turns your crank...in the end we all get to wear and enjoy our watches and that is what is really important.

Thanks to all for the great and detailed responses :notworthy:

So after I buy and receive a 7750 rep, and take it to a local watch repair shop, what are the exact phrases and keywords I should use to 'service my rep'? At least so they won't do a dip and swish, or not do certain things because I didn't specifically ask for them. And what would you estimate the price range of a service for a non-chrono PAM?

Right now I am looking for a PAM 104. Is that a model which you would suggest replacing the Asian 7750 with a Swiss one? And about how much would that cost?

Thanks again in advance :notworthy:

I've got a new Navitimer 7750 3-6-9 and I love the watch. I've given the matter of movement service quite a bit of thought and come to the conclusion that at this point it is probably not worth it. As I paid about $250 for the watch, and servicing will likely be close to $200, I figure that if the watch lasts a few years I could likely buy a new or even more accurate rep at that time. Possibly by that point Swiss 7753s will be more plentiful and a transplant will be the way to go.

I do love this watch though, and maybe I'll have a change of heart when Zig returns. As he said, there is no right or wrong answer when it comes to this question.

Thanks to all for the great and detailed responses notworthy.gif

So after I buy and receive a 7750 rep, and take it to a local watch repair shop, what are the exact phrases and keywords I should use to 'service my rep'? At least so they won't do a dip and swish, or not do certain things because I didn't specifically ask for them. And what would you estimate the price range of a service for a non-chrono PAM?

I've got a new Navitimer 7750 3-6-9 and I love the watch. I've given the matter of movement service quite a bit of thought and come to the conclusion that at this point it is probably not worth it. As I paid about $250 for the watch, and servicing will likely be close to $200, I figure that if the watch lasts a few years I could likely buy a new or even more accurate rep at that time. Possibly by that point Swiss 7753s will be more plentiful and a transplant will be the way to go.

I do love this watch though, and maybe I'll have a change of heart when Zig returns. As he said, there is no right or wrong answer when it comes to this question.

That is a valid choice, but keep in mind what I said above, your 7750 is actually a basterdized 7753, BUT the ETA 7753 will NOT fit in this watch...the datewheel is not the same diameter...the rest is fine, but the datewheel window will be wrong.

Only option on this one, is to either service the asian movement, or transplant a ETA 7750 in place of the Asian one...I did this mod and the post on it is in my subforum, as stated above, ETA 7750 into a 196...

As for the availability of ETA 7753's in the future...my supplier has been unable to provide me with any 7753 parts...when I asked why? they said "We have been advised by ETA that the 7753 is no longer in production...and therefore, no parts are available..." something to think about...

As much as the Asian 7750 does have it's problems, and I am a big admirer of the beauty and fit and finish on the ETA models and would take an ETA over any Asian any day, as far as I know, I have only had one Asian 7750 fail (Daytona with seconds at 6 excepted) and that one belonged to Kruzer00, and I think he just has bad luck with these for some reason... So the results of the servicing speaks for itself...now how many of these would still be working if they had not been serviced...I can't say...although many were sent for service because they were broken...

Nuff said...

RG

Thanks for the advice Zig! One question though, Have you seen 7750 failures (non-serviced of course) decline over the past few years? and Are the unmodified (non-Daytona) versions actually more reliable?

Edited by andreww

I've had pretty good luck with my Asian 7750's so far. But then I don't really wear them that much so that may be saving them some wear and tear.

But in any case isn't it possible to get new Asian 7750's for around $50 or less? So if you have several watches with that movement, it seems to me that playing the odds against for any one particular watch to fail and replacing any movements that you need to is more cost effective than servicing all your watches. Just my two cents.

That is a valid choice, but keep in mind what I said above, your 7750 is actually a basterdized 7753, BUT the ETA 7753 will NOT fit in this watch...the datewheel is not the same diameter...the rest is fine, but the datewheel window will be wrong.RG

I'll take your expert word for this, but I thought the genuine Navitimer dial would work with the rep. If so wouldn't the date window be off?

Yes, it's great to have Rob back in post mode.... giving valuable advice

as ususal.....

This subject is especially important for us chrono lovers....

Thanks Rob... now get back to your family... and enjoy your

last few weeks,...before the tide gates open again... which from

your long absence, will be enough to flood your whole home floor to

ceiling with watches.... ^_^^_^

Yes, it's great to have Rob back in post mode.... giving valuable advice

as ususal.....

This subject is especially important for us chrono lovers....

Thanks Rob... now get back to your family... and enjoy your

last few weeks,...before the tide gates open again... which from

your long absence, will be enough to flood your whole home floor to

ceiling with watches.... happy.gifhappy.gif

A full overhaul of a chrono movement (assuming they will work on your rep) is going to be anywhere from $250-700 depending on where you are, getting a full service for $250 at a commercial shop is a bargain.

Cant' tell you as I am not familiar with a 104 (except for the aircraft I worked on...).

You can replace a Asian with a Swiss in most models, the ETA 7750 with the 12-9-6 layout of subdials is a direct fit, no modifications required...if that is the layout of the subdials, that is your best value...straight replacement like this is about $50 for the work, you source the movement on the 'bay or where ever...

Thanks again for the detailed information! :notworthy:

As I consider buying a PAM 104 rep, it looks like it will cost ~$300, and the service will cost up to $700. That means paying about $1000 for a rep that may last only a few years? For a $1000, you can get a very good quartz watch, like a Baume and Mercier or Hermes, and they'll last forever... :g:

As it is now, I think the biggest obstacle for people wanting to buy reps is this servicing cost. If reps only cost ~$300 and didn't need any servicing, they would fly off the virtual shelves!

So how much does an ETA 7750 cost? It looks like it's actually cheaper to do a replacement. I wonder if you can do a quartz replacement too with a non-functional automatic counter-weight...

Thanks again for the detailed information! :notworthy:

As I consider buying a PAM 104 rep, it looks like it will cost ~$300, and the service will cost up to $700. That means paying about $1000 for a rep that may last only a few years? For a $1000, you can get a very good quartz watch, like a Baume and Mercier or Hermes, and they'll last forever... :g:

As it is now, I think the biggest obstacle for people wanting to buy reps is this servicing cost. If reps only cost ~$300 and didn't need any servicing, they would fly off the virtual shelves!

So how much does an ETA 7750 cost? It looks like it's actually cheaper to do a replacement. I wonder if you can do a quartz replacement too with a non-functional automatic counter-weight...

Take a look at Hamilton. I have an X-Wind on my wrist. Nice watch and it has an ETA 7750 inside. These are available online for around $800 US Dollars. Other Hamiltons with the 7750 are available for even less.

Yes, I own reps but I wear a gen most of the time. I like the 7750 and I like the X-Wind. Besides, I travel a lot and have no worries when walking through customs with this on my arm. Keeps good time too (about 2 seconds a day).

Bill.

Does Airport Security check peoples watches now ??

No, but the customs officers do. It's been commonplace since forever. Wearing watches was one of the most common methods of smuggling, as you normally have to pay huge tax on a fancy watch.

If you wear a blinglex through international customs, you may well be asked for proof of purchase. If they start to examine it closely, the more astute of them may well spot it as a rep, but even more frightning is that if you go through customs with a fancy replica wristcock, you may well have to pay import duty as if it were genuine.

It's worst when you go home from a foreign country, as they can do you for smuggling counterfeit goods and several other charges.

If you're usually stopped going through customs, don't wear replicas.

If you're on internal US flights, you should be safe.

Take a look at Hamilton. I have an X-Wind on my wrist. Nice watch and it has an ETA 7750 inside. These are available online for around $800 US Dollars. Other Hamiltons with the 7750 are available for even less.

Yes, I own reps but I wear a gen most of the time. I like the 7750 and I like the X-Wind. Besides, I travel a lot and have no worries when walking through customs with this on my arm. Keeps good time too (about 2 seconds a day).

Bill.

Thanks Bill! I would also like to own multiple reps, so I will consider it.

So as it seems now, it costs ~$270 for a ETA 7750, and $50 to do a swap, which makes it better to do a swap instead of a service. But that said, where do you buy these ETA 7750s? I've seen some random ones online, with various watch names engraved on the rotors. Does it matter for a PAM 104 whether the rotor has Paul Picots' name on it instead of Invicta, Hamilton or Mido, for example?

Thanks in advance :notworthy:

:notworthy:

Edited by Alan_Schezar

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks Bill! I would also like to own multiple reps, so I will consider it.

So as it seems now, it costs ~$270 for a ETA 7750, and $50 to do a swap, which makes it better to do a swap instead of a service. But that said, where do you buy these ETA 7750s? I've seen some random ones online, with various watch names engraved on the rotors. Does it matter for a PAM 104 whether the rotor has Paul Picots' name on it instead of Invicta, Hamilton or Mido, for example?

Thanks in advance :notworthy:

:notworthy:

Hi, guys. Frequent reader but seldom (if ever?) poster. Just thought I'd let you know TJMaxx is clearing out Hamilton Khaki field watches with Swiss 7750 day/date movements for under $200. They seem to be running $170 to $190 but my local store had them in the clearance case for $135. I bought the two they had. brown and black dial on tan nato. This would seem to be a good source of Swiss 7750s. Or do as I am doing, enjoying a really nice genuine chrono. I put a "mall kiosk" Breitling style bracelet on the brown and left the nato on the black.

GronK