When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are you a PC or a MAC ?

exper

So just wondering if people on here are PC or MAC users ?

The reason behind this post? Recently I have been drawn by the good looking Powerbooks that I am seeing more and more everywhere. I have been a PC ever since Windows 95 and didnt ever consider a Mac but recently with a job change I find I am only ever using the computer to use the browser, thats it - a major change as I used to be on the computer about 15 hours a day ;) switching only entered my mind as there is no denying they are good looking machines, especially the newest release laser cut from one peice of aluminum - I am currently on a pretty new Vaio however it just feels kinda plasticy in comparison

So anyone else on here switched from the PC to MAC ? What are your opinions overall, happy with the decision ?

Edited by exper

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So just wondering if people on here are PC or MAC users ?

The reason behind this post? Recently I have been drawn by the good looking Powerbooks that I am seeing more and more everywhere. I have been a PC ever since Windows 95 and didnt ever consider a Mac but recently with a job change I find I am only ever using the computer to use the browser, thats it - a major change as I used to be on the computer about 15 hours a day ;) switching only entered my mind as there is no denying they are good looking machines, especially the newest release laser cut from one peice of aluminum

So anyone else on here switched from the PC to MAC ? What are your opinions overall, happy with the decision ?

Aluminum is still a conductor last I checked. Maybe not the best shroud for computer hardware. Looks nice though. I'm sure its not a problem, i'm just not a big Apple nutswinger. Im sour that my Ipod video is already dead.

I just purchased a 17"Toshiba laptop. 3gb RAM, ATI graphics, AMD Turion x2 64 @ 2GHz, Vista. About $700. Im enjoying it very much. Vista is not as bad as its hyped to be IMO.

I work on PC 95% of the time. I state even before Windows existed. I have 3 PC (quite recent and powerful) at home. But, I have a Macbook for my laptop.

I had a Black Macbook and I just switched to the new Aluminum one. They are very nice and for everyday use, Mac OS is great. (I'm too much PC guy to only work on Apple, but for my need, the Macbook is great)

Laptop: Lenovo (IBM) T60p dual booting XP Professional and Ubuntu 8.10 at home (I generally use Ubuntu with VirtualBox running seamless Vista for when I need Excel to do finance things.)

Desktop: HP Pavilion Elite m9400t dual booting Ubuntu 8.10 and XP Professional runs most of the media functions at home and has two 1 TB externals that I store everything off of (sudo server)

at work we have almost all IBM's running XP Professional (laptops and desktops)

My girlfriend has a newer 17" (I think?) Macbook Pro... thing is HOT (temperature wise)- we took it to the Apple store in NYC and they basically said "yeah, we know...it's a design thing...we stopped calling them 'laptops' because we're afraid we'll get sued if one really overheats and burns someone"

That being said, it's a pretty nice computer but I just love the functionality and abuse resistance of my ThinkPad. I'll go so far as to say IBM makes the best business laptops (and I've owned laptops from just about every brand, including Apple) and the trackpoint etc make it invaluable. My work just issued me a new Lenovo R61 and it's nice, but I like the T series much better.

EDIT TO ADD: One other thing: Microsoft Office (Specifically Excel, Access, and Powerpoint) are bar non, the best software apps in their class... I have tried just about every other paid app and open source app (OpenOffice, etc) and NOTHING comes anywhere near the power of the Office suite...that's probably one of the reasons it makes up a huge percentage of Microsoft's sales per annum

mac is for people that think they sophisticated and their products is over priced.

When I got my Black Macbook back 2 years ago, it was the CHEAPEST option for a 13.3" Laptop. (Ok only Sony and Lenovo offered one)

3 weeks ago, a Dell XPS with same configuration than my new Macbook was only 90$ cheaper... And still made of plastic..

So, what is overpriced? Don't compare with Acer or other crap brand.. Try to find my an all Aluminum Laptop with same spec cheaper than Apple...

mac is for people that think they sophisticated and their products is over priced.

I've been an IT professional for about two decades and my vast experience leads me to Macs, not some desire for a flashy show-off status symbol.

Macs stopped being overpriced about 7 years ago. These days, they're on par with the other large high-end brands.

Why people buy Macs over PCs is the operating system is made by the people that make the hardware and the operating system is better than Windows. UNIX offers better base security than Windows and is rock-stable. Macs even offer the ability to run Windows either in a VM or as dual-boot, if you need Windows for a game or MS Visio/MS Project.

Knowing Dani's taste[1] though, I'm not really upset he doesn't like Macs. ;)

[1] Apart from sports. We share taste in sports.

I use PCs at work- it's the standard, unfortunately. It's why we have a very robust and well-staffed worldwide helpdesk thingie (it's needed.)

My work mostly involves machine control, data acquisition, test and measurement and the like- LabView is one example. My life would be easier in many ways if I could use Macs at work, but it ain't gonna be.... actually, using PCs for these kinds of things is a sort of job security ^_^

But- you haven't really *lived* until you've been involved in a runoff of a new automated industrial press (a one-of-a-kind bearing press, not a printing thing, designed and built by a German company which does production equipment for our European factories), and partway through the day, with the press banging away and production operators moving 500-pound parts in and out of it, you look over at the screen of the computer that's controlling it and see a box down in the corner that says Windows has an update available, and press OK to download and install it :bones: :bones: ....... we cleared people out of there and shut that damn thing down faster than you could damn Bill Gates.

At home, it's a Mac. Multiple Macs. And one thing I can say with certainty is that if you're playing on the interweb with a Mac, you are much safer than with a PC. Never had any kinda virus here, not expecting any soon. And for my money, there ain't none better. After all, National Instruments' LabView was first written on a Mac.

My vote: Mac. No crashes, no problems. Mine just sit there and work.

The PC's I have at home? If I didn't need em to be able to be fully compatible with my work, you could have 'em. :animal_rooster:

I own a Mac on the go because it wakes from hardware sleep faster than any PC I've EVER seen.

I own a PC at home because it still takes legacy hardware/software and has Caller ID software which autoscreens my calls and plays recorded messages.

At work I prefer to stick with a pen and paper. Only because some jackass ran into my office a couple months ago and changed some values on my spreadsheet that was in Excel.

Personally, I would have preferred to get a new Mac, but my budget could only stretch to a PC, so I installed a skin for Vista which gives it the appearance of a Mac's OS X B) (Getting the iPhone was the start of a slippery slope to Mac products :lol: )

To defend Dani's post:

I think it is safe to say that while Macs are widely recognized and used by folks 'in the industry', it is also safe to say that they are also the computer of choice for the MySpace generation Emo geeks who want to prove how 'alternative' and 'ironic' they are <_< A bunch of half-assed poseurs, they give legitimate Mac users a bad name <_<

Pc... Macs arent popular here in Poland. They are available in stores and we have really no problem with getting them, I have personaly few friends who uses Apple's computers but the majority is PC.

Cheaper, more and better.

edit: and I second that Apples are overpriced for the quality they provide. I know there always will be a bunch of folks who would say iPo, iPhone, iBook and iMac are the best ever ant teh pwns every PC and other electronical stuff but thats just pure [censored] and everybody knows it, just not everybody have guts to admit it ;)

Edited by pubus

Pc... Macs arent popular here in Poland. They are available in stores and we have really no problem with getting them, I have personaly few friends who uses Apple's computers but the majority is PC.

Cheaper, more and better.

edit: and I second that Apples are overpriced for the quality they provide. I know there always will be a bunch of folks who would say iPo, iPhone, iBook and iMac are the best ever ant teh pwns every PC and other electronical stuff but thats just pure [censored] and everybody knows it, just not everybody have guts to admit it ;)

I think it depends on the equipment, and what a person wants to actually do with it. PCs are certainly the more affordable option, but Macs, in certain circumstances, can be the technically better option :) I'm honestly not a MacWorshipper, I'm just someone who appreciates their aesthetic, and can appreciate their technical uses :) I also think, as above, that too many see Mac as a way of gaining 'cool points' for their blogtastic emo-world, and make the professional users look bad ;)

I've had a PC since they first came out - 1983 or 84.

I work in IT

I've implemented thousands of pc/windows server/exchange/sql systems

I switched to mac 6 months ago.

It was one of the best things I've EVER done.

I don't have to go home and patch/scan/update/worry if my wife f*d up the computer by downloading a 0day virus/trojan/malware etc.

Most of the programs actually work, and are intuitive.

That being said, I still use windows at work because I have to

smc

We have 3 macs in our home. I use a PC at the office, only because I have to. PC's are such a pain in the ass and a big waste of time. It seems daily our IT guys are sending us updates, patches, etc. Takes me a good 20 minutes each morning to get that piece of [censored] up and running, and that is if I have no security updates. Good news is, we are still running XP.

Mrs. Stilty is in design, and does all her work on her two macs. I just have mine for fun. We connect and backup with a 1TB Time Capsule. I also picked up a 160GB AppleTV. Main reason for that was to rip all my kids DVD's and store them on the ATV. Visual Hub is a great little app to do the converting to ATV. This saves the little one from damaging all the DVDs, and the player! We each have iphones, so I guess we are a happy little mac family.

Macs are just so easy to use. They are designed for the end user.