When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Rolex Stunning!

ethansun

I'd figure it's a gen from the 40's or 50's. You can look between the lugs for the model number- at 12 o'clock and the serial number at 6 o'clock. It's a manual wind movement like a 1225 maybe, with the screw down crown.

It certainly is well worn and in its original state. Question is, do you keep it like that, which is where the most value is for a collector, or do you restore it? I'd figure it's value is around $1000US. Personally, I'd get the dial and hands redone, the case polished, new crystal (or polished) and the movement serviced, if I was going to keep it, because I prefer a watch in nice shape.

Saw that too Nanuq... this might have something like a calibre 1030 in it...might also be a franken Tudor... can you post pictures of the caseback, the writing on the inside of the caseback, and the movement if possible? Might be able to make a more educated guess with that...

thanks for your interesting comments guys i'm taking a look at the crown position and it seems to be a little bit off centered i'll be able to open this tomorrow and making sure to post some photos of the caseback and movement, the watch still runs but stops every few minutes. I'm still hoping that its a gen can't till tomorrow I'll be doozing off in a few mins with finger still crossed :)

I'd figure it's a gen from the 40's or 50's. You can look between the lugs for the model number- at 12 o'clock and the serial number at 6 o'clock. It's a manual wind movement like a 1225 maybe, with the screw down crown.

It certainly is well worn and in its original state. Question is, do you keep it like that, which is where the most value is for a collector, or do you restore it? I'd figure it's value is around $1000US. Personally, I'd get the dial and hands redone, the case polished, new crystal (or polished) and the movement serviced, if I was going to keep it, because I prefer a watch in nice shape.

I did'nt find any markings on the lugs of this watch i.e. the 12 & 6 o'clock position... i don't know if i'm gonna keep this old timer but i'm curious to know her story... :)

I would guess it is gen, but if you want a more reliable appraisal you will need to post some good, clear macro (close-up) pics of the movement & engravings between both sets of lugs.

I'm beginning to get anxious about the engravings on lugs because i did not find any. i'll try my best to get good pictures of the movement I'm just using my cellphone cam, maybe i could barrow a good camera tomorrow for a more accurate review. :)

Even if you could post what is engraved (if for some reason you can photograph it)

If the inside of the caseback or the movement says something like "Montres Tudor SA" (generally on the rotor for Tudors) you'll know...

I would bet that's a gen dial but it might be a Tudor mov't and case.... (I picked up one like this). If it's a Tudor caseback it'll say something like "Oyster Case Made By Rolex" or something like that...not sure of the exact terminology...

quote =

I'm beginning to get anxious about the engravings on lugs because i did not find any. i'll try my best to get good pictures of the movement I'm just using my cellphone cam, maybe i could barrow a good camera tomorrow for a more accurate review. :)

/quote

The numbers may have worn off. Take a wooden toothpick etc and see if you can scratch all the dirt off between the lugs, then maybe the numbers will show up in bright light.

If it is a genuine 6430 etc speedking, it will have a cal 1210/1220 manual wind 17 jewel movement.

The manufacturing date will probably be stamped inside the caseback.

II59 = second quarter 1959, I62 = first quarter 1962 etc

Btw, I have a 6430 speedking...worn only a couple times since I bought it new from a rolex AD in 1972 (it was too small).

I paid a blistering $130US for it on a leather strap with signed steel buckle.

Cool to see a Speedking in here! An exiting find! :)

Nice "Engine-turned" bezel on yours. That is rather scare on the Speedking. The Speedking was a long running model in the Rolex model line. They had a long range of models like Air-Giant, Air-Lion and Oyster Royale. When they rationalized the lineup, Speedking disappeared and Air-King was the only dress-Rolex to keep its fancy name. ( please correct me if I'm wrong)

These are among the very bottom of the Rolex price-hierarchy at the moment, mostly due to their small 30mm size. But they are still quite decent high quality timepieces. From the one I have seen advertised, the movement usually looks very good, a testimony to the strong Oyster case. I have also read that the Speedking was popular among WW2 pilots. It seems like not all pilot watches were oversized, sure an advantage in a cramped fighter cockpit. :)

Here is mine, a 1961 model, which I think was the last year for the model. I think your watch also is one of the later model. It has model and serial number between the lugs, but they are lightly engraved. It is quite possible that they have been worn away on yours.

P3160632.jpg

P3160642.jpg

I don't wear it much, but it is a watch I am happy to keep in my little collection. An advantage of the simple movement is that service is cheap, I was quoted abput 130 USD from a watchmaker.

This is an older Speedking ( which I once considered buying).

Speedking.jpg

Nice watch. Unfortunately the glass is as rare as hens teeth. Not made any more. You can get a glass to fit but it has a different profile - not half as nice, c'est la vie!

Yes, I think mine has a replacement crystal. It is not properly aligned either. I have not yet got around to refit it.

P3160645.jpg