When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

RWG Technical

The Zigmeister,

Interesting to hear... I always figured the movements on phong's site would be fairly well-preserved and functional...especially considering the price. I had a newer member PM me about these watches/movements a few days ago and haven't responded yet...I'll be sure to point him in the direction of this thread as a warning...

Thanks for posting this!

Ziggy - I have only personally worked on (as opposed to looked at) 1 of Phong's Daytona frankens, so I am certainly not an authority on them. I do not recall seeing any unusual solder in or around the balance, but the overall condition of the movement & inner case, when it arrived, was similar to the watch you reported on (very dirty). The movement was signed '727' below its Microstella balance & ran at the correct 21.6bph (the previous Rolex-modified V72B & 722 ran at 18bph). The watch I had here was definitely not the pristine (new?) looking model that I have seen displayed online.

In addition to having a different pillar plate, there are also 15-20 other components that differ between the previous 722 & later 727 movements. I have a parts list here if you need it.

Very interesting Freddy. You must have had one of the better movements, being that it ran at 21.6k and had an actual microstalla balance wheel.

Once I put up the pics you'll easily see what I am referring to with the balance and hairspring.

If you can email me the parts list, I would appreciate adding it to my library, I already have some info on the V23/72 series, but nothing on the 727 ones...

RG

I have a Phong 6263 watch and worked with him on multiple watch projects/dials over the years. The movements come into the watches in two different variations.

Option 1 - He sources a completed watch from Vietnam. As long as it works (the internal's can be crap), he sells it off hoping for the best.

Option 2 - He has the parts laying around, buys a movement at a trade show and builds it himself with parts. This is more expensive, but higher quality work. He is (or has an) actually a good watchsmith.

Either way, he does stand behind his product. He has always fixed (for free) any of his stuff that I have had problems with.

Regards.

quote =

If you can email me the parts list, I would appreciate adding it to my library, I already have some info on the V23/72 series, but nothing on the 727 ones..."

ZZ

If it would help, I have complete parts lists with line drawings for rolex cal 72A, 72BC, 722/72B, 722-1, 727.

Send a pm with a mailing address and I will send a set.

Any country OK, no charge.

Thanks for all the precious info, work and pics. Looks like a complete mess to me. You did a great job rebuilding this. I'd steer away from Phong after seeing that - yuk... the attention to detail is just great, they didn't even bother to remove the original incabloc shock system on the dial side - and most probably not even exchange the balance jewel.

My understanding is that each balance has to have corresponding pierced jewels and matching cap jewels - did you examine this issue too? Wouldn't amaze me if the dial side jewel is totally wrong. :) The free sprung overcoil spring actually touching the balance [censored] tops it off for me.

For such a price tag I can get a genuine modern Rolex, with a geniously engineered movement... screaming quality from every little part. And it's not that those Daytonas are exactly perfect Frankenwatches... anybody who knows the least little bit about Daytonas will identify these as fakes - Phong should at least get the Chrono bridge right - that's just pathetic...

Boy, do I need to get a better camera/lens. :blink: Those are some extraordinary pics, Zig.

I see what you mean about the hairspring & overall condition. The watch I had here was in slightly worse condition, but at least the balance & cock were functionally correct. Pretty sad considering what Phong charges for his watches......all of them. And you may recall that my real worry was that he was selling modded V72 Asian clones (new movements made in China). Clearly, that is not the case. At least, not here.

Like the saying goes, if you want it done right.......

And I see that Avitt is viewing the thread, so I would love to get his take on this.

And I see that Avitt is viewing the thread, so I would love to get his take on this.

Hi freddy333...looks like you caught me ;)

My take is that I could never justify the expense and effort it requires to modify these Daytona movement. Like Rolex001 said, you will never fool an expert.

I am much happier with a nice, complete, clean, functional V72 or 726, harvested from a donor watch. Parts are still fairly available for these more "common" movements.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Pics speak a thousands words, I never even picked up on the Incablock on the dial side, too busy looking and trying to sort out the rest.

Not sure where to go next, certainly a V23/72 balance and arm are the only real solution at this point to get it working.

RG

quote =

Auto - Any chance you have a service (as opposed to parts) manual covering the 1030 series (including the 1036-GMT)? Or, at least, an oiling chart for same?

/quote

What I can do is make two sets of copies, one for ZZ and one for you. I will include oiling charts etc along with the V72 chronograph parts lists plus 1030/1030GMT etc. Since the 1030 and 1530 use the same oiling specs, I will send the 1570 chart.

There is also an oiling chart for the chronographs.

It will be a few days before I get the copies made and mailed out so send a pm with a mailing address.

If someone else wants a set of these lists, you can send them one, then they can send a set to the next guy etc etc.