When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Modding the Rotor of the Hublot Big Bang

On the web page of Hublot it is possible to download a pdf file where it is explained how to detect a rep of the Big Bang model. Follows some pictures taken from this document.

pag1yo0.jpg

pag2yn7.jpg

pag3nc3.jpg

pag4iv3.jpg

As seen, following Hublot, we have to check three things:

a) Absence of regulator. Well, now this is not true, as the versions running at 21600 have a regulator (not functional). If we buy a version running at 28800 (BTW I think they are a better option) there will be no regulator. However, I explained here how to add a regulator:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=74855

b and c) There are two versions of rotors in the rep market. One, with good ball bearing, but using sticks on the rotor mass. And another version with saw-like ball bearing but with engraved rotor. No version is perfect, so modding has to be made. About modding the H… I am working on that.

Some examples of reps:

The watch I bought, rotor engraved, bad ball bearing. There is no H under the rotor.

img0465nj3.jpg

And follows one example with good bearing, but with stickers (and of bad quality). In addition, the screws never can be blue! They only can be black of with no colour (silver).

hublotazulir7.jpg

Therefore, modding on the rotor has to be made. In my opinion, the best option is to buy a rep with engraved rotor and modifying the ball bearing. After that, adding an H (future tuto) and adding a regulator, will produce a very good rep of this watch.

Needed Materials

As a minimum, you have to buy the ball bearing of the ETA/Valjoux 7750 and the external bolt. Follow the prices of these two parts and the references for Cousins web store:

VAL77501497 Valjoux 7750 1497 Ball Bearing

absolutely fantastic :)

btw does the gen have sticker "H" logo or engraved?

The H is, of course, engraved on the gen. I am making a sticker...a good one.

Francisco.

Another excellent post, thanks so much for taking the time to write this up.

Great job.

RG

I know you are a busy man. Thanks for thanking ;)

Francisco.

slay - the one you show has stickers - that's why there are only 2 options - get the one you pictured and have the HUBLOT GENEVE engraved or get the other one and change the bearing.

slay - the one you show has stickers - that's why there are only 2 options - get the one you pictured and have the HUBLOT GENEVE engraved or get the other one and change the bearing.

Yes, as I wrote in the tuto, these are the two alternatives.

However, have a look to the last picture, some black paint need to be removed, from the 4 holes of the bolt.

Francisco.

• 2 weeks later...
God,

I would love to have this done to my future purchase! I take it your UK based too ? With the prices being in Pounds? Great write up - pity i have sausage fingers and really don't want to ruin $800 down the pan! Am I selling myself well here?

I think you have missed the final tutorial:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=87659

Francisco.

• 2 months later...
God,

I would love to have this done to my future purchase! I take it your UK based too ? With the prices being in Pounds? Great write up - pity i have sausage fingers and really don't want to ruin $800 down the pan! Am I selling myself well here?

Hi, same as that with my stubby fingers I would love to pay to have this done so please PM me.

I own the HBB steel bezel lite version and would love to have mods done so it will be as close as possible to the original!

let me know please how I go about getting this done?

thank you in advance!

• 4 years later...

Great Post !!!

Could someone Help me by letting me know how we swap out the case back of a hublot ice bang... need explanations after retiring the 6 screws what to do cause the caseback won't come out the watch.... :(((  I tried to turn it in any directions with an air ball thinking it will unscrew it but failed ... tried the end of a knife to swap out : failed... :((

many thanks in advance

Edited by Sumosam

Great Post !!!

Could someone Help me by letting me know how we swap out the case back of a hublot ice bang... need explanations after retiring the 6 screws what to do cause the caseback won't come out the watch.... :(((  I tried to turn it in any directions with an air ball thinking it will unscrew it but failed ... tried the end of a knife to swap out : failed... :((

many thanks in advance

Pull/lever it out.... it is not a screwed one, just some times tough to get out!

Edited by theflyingdutchman