When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

By-Tor's tribute to replica Rolex Explorer II's

By-Tor

I am looking at the Explorer II black from Josh. Mostly because I can't find a good white one with black hour markings even though Eurotimez is pretty close. My question to you is how does this one from Josh stack up in your book. http://www.jpc8118.com/rlex10005-explorer-...8362-p-421.html

Thank you for your time.

That is the inferior version. The 6'o'clock hour marker is the easiest "tell". This version has many bad flaws, like datewheel/cyclops positioned too right. Everything was explained in detail... in the initial post of this thread (the review), and also in the other ExpII rep articles I've written.

You can photograph the rep white Explorer II from a certain angle and the hour markers look good (i.e black). But in reality they're just gun metal grey. That model is the correct one (well placed datewheel, etc.) but the dial is no good.

If you want a good white Explorer II, you need to get genuine dial there.

Check this article.

Damn it, I really thought I found one too. Anyway, one last question for the GMT/Explorer master. I have looked a Josh's site and Trusty's site and found that the GMT II coke bezel is different from site to site. Besides BK, for price reasons, which one would you choose? Or is the black explorer the king for you.

Damn it, I really thought I found one too. Anyway, one last question for the GMT/Explorer master. I have looked a Josh's site and Trusty's site and found that the GMT II coke bezel is different from site to site. Besides BK, for price reasons, which one would you choose? Or is the black explorer the king for you.

There's only one 16710 rep that I recommend, and it comes from bklm1234/Eurotimez.

But the "Retro" version from Joshua ain't that bad, either.

My section is full of GMT reviews. I used to own almost every single rep model before I bought the gen. So what's keeping you to read them through? :)

• 3 months later...

I just took your advice and ordered the black version through eurotimez (well actually i ordered the white model but in doing a little more research I changed to the black). My only question is where would be the best place for me to find a good crown, and what exactly do i need??? Thanks for the great review and help!

Well let me first congratulate you for making your homework properly and buying the right version. I actually wear my black ExpII more than my white these days. It's very nice watch in every way, and a definite "keeper" for me.

Regarding the crown... I'm not sure if member "Justasgood" is willing to provide the crowns to everyone, but you might send him a polite pm and ask. The correct crown for this model is the 6mm twinlock. Same parts for 16710 and 16570. You probably need the tube as well... and of course someone who can do the job for you.

I think changing the crown is worth it as the "Noobfactory" twinlock crown is grossly oversized.

Good luck!

Well let me first congratulate you for making your homework properly and buying the right version. I actually wear my black ExpII more than my white these days. It's very nice watch in every way, and a definite "keeper" for me.

Regarding the crown... I'm not sure if member "Justasgood" is willing to provide the crowns to everyone, but you might send him a polite pm and ask. The correct crown for this model is the 6mm twinlock. Same parts for 16710 and 16570. You probably need the tube as well... and of course someone who can do the job for you.

I think changing the crown is worth it as the "Noobfactory" twinlock crown is grossly oversized.

Good luck!

I haven't got a reply from justasgood yet, but will this work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolex-Datejust-Stainle...em#ht_683wt_909

Thanks!

Hi Lance,

I could be wrong but to me that looks like the 5.3mm crown, with higher profile and different "hat".

e2f9_1.JPG

The correct one on GMT II and Explorer II is flatter and wider. See my gen GMT photo here. and this gen ExpII photo.

Just found this on ebay, said it fits the gmt so I was wondering if this one would work???

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolex-GMT-Watch-Crown-...2#ht_543wt_1166

I also have one more quick question. Do you happen to know the model number of the crown and tube I am looking for? I tried searching everywhere for a rolex part list and couldn't find one. That would definitely make the search easier if I knew exactly what part numbers I am looking for!

Thanks

Edited by lance18

Bytor,

King just added these to the site. It says "Updated dial and case"

So here are the pictures. What do you think - any better? I don't like the engraving on the rehaut - but what about the rest? Looks like the markers are still gray. Also - the date does not seem to be centered left and right.

ROLEX-544.jpg

ROLEX-544-3.jpg

ROLEX-544-2.jpg

ROLEX-544-1.jpg

ROLEX-544-4.jpg

ROLEX-544-6.jpg

Thanks - would love to know your opinion.

It's the same watch with added rehaut engraving, which is a downgrade (accuracy wise) as it's not centered properly. Same old grey/silver hour markings.

• 2 months later...

Dear All,

Some might remember I was the owner of a Gen Black Explo II.

I sold it as I couldn't justify 3K for a watch sitting in a box and never worn.

Having said that, I like the model a lot...not like a Sub or a SD, but a lot.

My16570_800_10.jpg

My16570_800_14B.jpg

Yesterday I saw one on a guy's wrist and it reminds me that I have a genuine black dial in my parts bin (and probably matching hands) ;) .

So, after reading By-Tor's review here and Dluddly's comments, I'm not sure I can build a good franken.

The reason is : the right watch is hard to find.

Meaning the case accepting the gen dial diameter.

I figured I'd rather post here than start to spam all our dealers and beg them to find me a 2006 Trusty Explorer II :blink:

If anybody could help by selling theirs or point me to the right person to source one, it would be very nice of them.

Many thanks,

All the best

Stephane

• 10 months later...

This just in:

I heard from BK that the Noob Explorer II and GMT 16710 models are no more in production by the Noob factory. BK bought the last remaining watches to himself.

I don't understand why they ceased these two great replications. :(

Very, Very interesting read and thanks to all who have contributed. I personally have always liked the white dial best ....even with the gray/silver subdued marker surrounds. To me the white dial with the SS is the best look for the contrast of the piece.

So I ordered one from BK just prior to his vacation and am very excited about the watches arrival (soon I hope :)). I think with BKs' mods and up grades ...the inaccuracy's will be only noticeable to the most knowledgeable and critical ......The Few :thumbsupsmileyanim: