When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega Seamaster Professional (Review)

marrickvilleboy

Hi everyone, its been a while since I've written something for RWG. Some of you guys remember that I have a love for Omegas and have assembled pretty much most of the Omega variations - SMP, SMP 007 Limited, SMP Black, SMP GMT, SMP ELectric Blue.

Recently, I was able to source a SMP - relatively newer model - which differed to what most collectors offer. Well, it came in the post yesterday and some member's requests, I decided to write up a short review of this watch.

1. CASE: An overall very solid watch, casing is heavy and areas that should be polished are polished. From first impressions, it looks quite good but it is a little thick.

PB213249.jpg

2. DIAL: Details are quite accurate with no oversized "300m/1000ft". However, the lume is not as strong as other SMPs that I've come across. The wave pattern is quite prominent, my pictures do not reflect it though, sorry about that.

PB213253.jpg

3. BEZEL: This part of the watch has its good and its not so good. The biggest improvement is that it is 120 clicks which is true of the genuine. Also, the shade of blue is accurate, it is more accurate than the SMPs that Paul, Silix, Trusty offer. The not-so-good side is the bezel pearl, which was a little oversized, I have replaced it with a much more accurate pearl.

PB213248.jpg

4. CRYSTAL: Nice sapphire crystal with no distortion. It sits very snuggly and does not protrude above the bezel - very fitting.

5. CROWN: Oversized. This part will need to be replaced to make it more accurate. Replacing will not be hard.

PB213252.jpg

6. HEV: Located quite accurately, slightly above the 10 o clock marker.

PB213254.jpg

7. MOVEMENT: Gold-colored ETA 2836 (most likely an Asian version)

PB213250.jpg

8. BRACELET: Details are decent. The endlinks are not a 9 piece construction, but rather one piece.

Nice pictorials but I would still say that the He valve is not located at the correct position. Somehow lug to lug distance looks compressed/shorter than genuine too.

Yes, its not as good as the original, nor the closed factory models. But it is better than the usual direct 10 o clock casings.

Thanks for the comment. I can't seem to correct my original post to reflect your comment. Any ideas?

Edited by Marrickvilleboy

Damn Marrick - what's your secret for sourcing some of these Omega reps ?!?!?!?

The thick case looks like King's version...but her crystal had coke bottle distortion...He valve does not look too great but the crown guards are a big improvement. Wow all the links are removed...i thought I had small wrists :)

IMO, the worst aspect about the watch is the thick case...it just does not sit right on the wrist...especially with thin wrists.

I've given up trying to find a decent SMP.

-bosk

The thick case looks like King's version...but her crystal had coke bottle distortion...He valve does not look too great but the crown guards are a big improvement. Wow all the links are removed...i thought I had small wrists :)

IMO, the worst aspect about the watch is the thick case...it just does not sit right on the wrist...especially with thin wrists.

I've given up trying to find a decent SMP.

-bosk

6.5 inche wrist - what can i say? THe bracelet links are larger than usual too. I compared this case with one from the older closed factory version and it is only thicker but a tad. Just looks chunky.

I'm actually going to try and put a quartz into this watch - have the Omega movement sourced and hands obtained. Just need the dial. Only problem now is that the case is much thicker than I thought so I will need to really work on this to make it fit right.

Nice watch. I'm fairly certain that I had this exact same watch but with the gold colored DG2813 movement, it's now sold but heres some pics:

smp21j-04.jpg

smp21j-03.jpg

smp21j-02.jpg

smp21j-05.jpg

Good to know that the asian 21J movement can be swapped out with a ETA one, and quite possibly a DG4813 high-beat. The few things that put me off about this certain version was the dark insert color, (I personally prefer a lighter blue), the pearl and the oversized crown. Apart from that it was a decent watch.

The OP has the hands issue sussed.

"...hands obtained..."

Many people have mentioned this before, but really beats me how the rep makers get so many simple and obvious things wrong. OK. Forget the complicated stuff like SS cases, bezel teeth and crystals. What about cheap, easy stuff like the hands and bezel inserts????

The OP has the hands issue sussed.

"...hands obtained..."

Many people have mentioned this before, but really beats me how the rep makers get so many simple and obvious things wrong. OK. Forget the complicated stuff like SS cases, bezel teeth and crystals. What about cheap, easy stuff like the hands and bezel inserts????

I agree. I remember one member (I think R11co) mentioning that the SMP is a victim of its own popularity. The rep makers simply believe they don't have to try very hard to make this one accurate to generate sales for this particular watch.

I believe the reason why Marrickvilleboy managed to sort out the hands size issue is because he, or someone swapped out the original ones that came with the asian movement with the ones available on the clone movement (like Silix's).

no guys, I'm going to put the Omega quartz caliber 1538 into this watch - maybe use another case I have lying around because this one is too thick. I have the quartz movement and the hands already, i'm just waiting to get a hold of the Omega quartz dial and i'm done.

@ Demonslayer.

Very similar watch but my caseback is slightly different to yours. But they do look very similar. Mine also came with an ETA movement (possibly cloned)

Been looking around the genuine dial for months now. Nothing yet. There used to be many on ebay but now ...not even one.

I have an original Omega SMP quartz (blue). It is your for USD$80, shipping included.

And if someone is interested, I also have an original blue SMP Chrono Dial, for the same price.

Edited by Luso

So where did you get this one from? From your first post it obviously wasn't one of the regular dealers.

sourced directly from China from a friend.

I have an original Omega SMP quartz (blue). It is your for USD$80, shipping included.

And if someone is interested, I also have an original blue SMP Chrono Dial, for the same price.

No thanks, one of the members have kindly offered their for a small favor. Btw - technically, you're not suppose to offer anything for sale unless your a supporter. Please be weary of the rules here.

Edited by Marrickvilleboy