When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Seiko Digital watches.

Bibbs

Well I found a group of my old watches (Storm, Pulsar, Adidas etc.) and I found an old digital watch from the early 80's I had.

I've had a hunt on the net for it, but I can't find any info.

It's a "Sports 150" M422 501A (according to the case back).

I can only find one referance to it on the net, and that's a broken image link.

Anyone have any links/sites where I can get more info about this 80's digital Seiko?

Thanks very much .. looking now :)

Quick pic (warning, it's a bit big).

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g54/Bibb...24112008155.jpg

Least it didn't fail with the millenium bug :)

EDIT.

I notice the site is in Australia, funny, as that's were the watch was bought!

Nice pic of it unused.

SEZ003J2.GIF

I'd like to get an origional strap for it but it's discontinued (the strap was stolen off a watch my father owned when the rubber one tore), and I think the light in it has died :(

Edited by Bibbs

I need to get the tools to pull the backs off watches now.

I also think i need to have a play and see how far in the future the date goes (I know it rolls over at some point).

Strange how little information there is out there though. If it's not a calculator watch or a TV remote, there is nothing.

Thanks again for the info.

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.

Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.

This planet has

• 7 years later...

Given the passage of time, I don't know how much point there is in joining this forum, but
I have found many of the answers since discovering it this month.  They are, from the top:

1.  Google Seiko M422, not M422 501A, I even found service details.

2. It only fits a single CR2025 battery, not two.

3. The tools I use to get inside is the tips of needle nose pliers, and some caution.  I did my own battery recently.

4. I have a printed manual still and could scan it.  I bought a watch sometime near the end of 1980.  Too much time, and several watches later, the memory is vague, so I can't swear it's this one.

There is a fair bit of information online, but more questions.  Others I can answer here:

4. A good clue to a battery replacement being due is when you push the button for the light, and the display blanks.

5. Watch out if you do your own battery, there is a tiny post that may fall out.  Mine did, and I literally never saw it.  The service details suggest it transmits the sound to the case.  Mine is now silent, or maybe I need to read the manual again!

Anyway, I also own a Bulova Precisionist, if you think the M422 has a dearth of tech info on line, my Precisionist has NOTHING.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Zombie thread revival.

Thanks DAM.

Just got handed dads' old watch at Christmas and doing some research as to its' age and replacement battery.

Found manual here: http://www.digital-watch.com/images/seiko_manuals/M422A.pdf

Cheers