When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

An Even Funnier Thing Happened This Morning

freddy333

Some of you may recall sometime back (maybe a year+ or so ago) that I felt a correction in vintage Rolex prices was long overdue.

Looks like that time has come. A little later than I thought, but these pieces have been (in my opinion) largely overvalued with high escalating prices in a short duration of time.

As for parts... They're also a victim to the falling price of vintage pieces. Parts were increasing in price sharply in relation to their high priced complete watch counterparts; folks who wanted a period correct 6263, 1655, 1665 DR, COMEX, MilSub, 6542 or whatever were willing to pay outrageous prices for the right parts to make their watch complete. Since prices for the watches are falling, there's no reason to pay $10k for a dial on a $15k watch.

With regards to eBay; I think Rolex is really just cracking down on parts and accessories to:

1) Eliminate questionable non-gen and aftermarket parts on eBay

2) Eliminate the source of parts made available for franken builders and those doctoring up reps

3) Tighten up the availability and distribution of parts outside of their own controlled network

What's interesting to me is that Rolex is making a large effort to sweep parts out of the Internet markets, but yet they won't fully support their vintage pieces via their RSC network (watches with calibers that are 30 years past production are typically put out to pasture save for support provided to a few valued high profile individuals out there). I wonder how many of the other vintage collectors will be shifting their focus and money to the manufacturers that do support their vintage watches, no matter how bad the customer service is *cough*Patek*cough*? Afterall... Most vintage collectors are also modern enthusiasts as well.

quote =

It's kind of interesting to see the Rolex prices dropping. Rolex is associated with wealth and luxury, and for the wealthy the economy is different.

/quote

Imho, modern rolex watches are no longer for the 'wealthy' but mostly for regular working people with good credit or a few bucks to blow on flash...people who buy into the 'rolex mystique' and/or advertizing hype.

Exception...maybe diamond loaded 'garbage wagon' presidents etc are bought by lottery or law suit winners, who knows?

...but it would take a room full of shrinks a year and a half to figure out why a sane person would pay $20K, $50k, or $100k for a 40 year old rolex that sold for $250 new.

I would not want to be the proud owner of one right now if I paid the 'collector price' for it a while back.

I know quite a few guys who are in very good $$ shape and not one of them wears a rolex watch.

For example...

One has an old patek wind-up on a ratty leather strap and another now wears an analog casio waveceptor of some sort (he used to wear a regular casio analog). The patek guy carries it in his pocket most of the time to keep it from getting knocked around or wet (it's a typical patek...fragile).

A 'trust fund baby' I know wears a cheapo plastic watch on a velcro strap. Her Dad used to be ceo of a US department store chain and he wore quartz department store stuff.

Another friend has a garage full of porsches and HD motorcycles (paid for!)...and wears a black plastic Gshock. (I guess the 'Milwaukee Vibrators' would kill a mech watch) :p