When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling Skyland Black Steel

Excellent review guys,well done.... :)

I am surprised at how genuine the BS looks,they say the same method that Breitling uses was used for this watch,i usually don't believe claims like that,but they must have,looks spot on to me.

A nice read,those that cough up the dough they are asking for these should be happy with them.... B)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to read the completed review this morning on the train, as I'd only seen bits and pieces in PMs. I want to thank Lan who came up with the idea, and quarterbacked the whole process. I know how important it was to get this out before anybody else posted pics, so there was a lot of pre-production, and then a real rush to get it completed quickly once the watch arrived. Because of Lan's time zone, it allowed us to work on this 24 hrs a day.

Great job Lan, and thanks to DBR and Dave123 as well!

Congrats to all of you guys. To those who are new to RWG, a top notch team was involved in putting this together so you can take their observations and opinions to the bank!

My only critique is (and for others posting pics)...when you place pics side-by-side, resize the images so the total size (wxh) doesn't exceed the 800x600 "moderate" screen dimension. I want to see those pics in their full glory, and depending on the computer I'm on I have to scroll to read the text due to the combined width of 2 images.

Other than that...who better to take macro pics than Lani the Raffle Macro Meister...who better to give Breitling insight than Andreww...and DBR and Dave123 we all know your expertise as well.

Awesome collaboration guys.

Got to read the completed review this morning on the train, as I'd only seen bits and pieces in PMs. I want to thank Lan who came up with the idea, and quarterbacked the whole process. I know how important it was to get this out before anybody else posted pics, so there was a lot of pre-production, and then a real rush to get it completed quickly once the watch arrived. Because of Lan's time zone, it allowed us to work on this 24 hrs a day.

Great job Lan, and thanks to DBR and Dave123 as well!

A short synopsis of our 24 hour fun..... before I go to sleep.. I send Andrew .. a rough draft .. wake up @12 am Hawaii time (-10gmt) get a reply .. go to the coffee shop @ 6:30 am scan replies and process the thought's of what to do next,.. so we can expedite quickly when the rep arrives in Hawaii .. so yes you are correct in saying we did this round the clock for a little over a week.. the end results takes 10 minutes to read.. the prep took much longer.. there were over 80 macro shots taken.. saving some for later

it would be faster doing this solo.. "But" IMO we made a great team !.. and there were, and are... checks and balances .. that was important as the review was not biased,... and gave different dimensions to the over all "feel" for the rep.

DBR's info was invaluable as it came from the researcher himself.. and not a second or third party.. and since DBR had years of science for his proffesional carreer .. who better than to script it.. I felt it would be better served and it certainly was that .. that was a

BIG KEY to the review.. !! the metal .. and as the pics show (pics were taken after DBR's writting) the checks worked perfectly

and Dave123.. nothing like the real deal and the owner to say yeh or nay.... to the rep in comparison,.. his testamony was not conjecture..

And we had fun in the process.. and there is nothing as rewarding as accomplishing a project as a "Team" .. give yourselves a 'Job Well done' and savoir the work.. :)

So in a few Day's we will be ready for the "Black Steel" Review.. Part Duece B)

@Theo... Looking forward to your wrist shots side ~ side with a genuine.. that will be worth waiting for .. wow, we dodged a bullet with the strap sizing :rolleyes:

hey Guys. Thanks for the great review. I read each pointed noted carefully and examined my gen using a loupe. I only want to add that the rehaut under the numeral is a line and not a dot on my gen. All other features pointed out were very accurate.

enjoy the watch

Thank you, .. could you post us a pic of your genuine (rehaut markings) for verification.. I will edit as such..

Cheers

Lani

hey Lani, I will give it a shot with my camera.

Sounds like a plan.. thanks :)

edit add:

No need to BO .. enlarged some genuine pics.. the mark under the numerals as you say is.. a dash.. the replica dash is jus thinner and appears longer..

thanks for that correction.. :D

hey Guys. Thanks for the great review. I read each pointed noted carefully and examined my gen using a loupe. I only want to add that the rehaut under the numeral is a line and not a dot on my gen. All other features pointed out were very accurate.

enjoy the watch

Hehe,as a side note,when you heading back to the beaches again?.... ;)

Didn't know you were a rep forum member as well.... :D

the Swiss ETA 7750 is available with the Black Steel for about 1040.00 usd :o

That's a lot of money..... Any idea how much the swiss eta 7750 movement available for? Maybe I can get the watch and have a watchsmith change the movement. Any idea if the eta 7750 movement will fit into the watch without any mods?

The movement on the Skylands is the bane of these watches....else they rock.

Cheers

That's a lot of money..... Any idea how much the swiss eta 7750 movement available for? Maybe I can get the watch and have a watchsmith change the movement. Any idea if the eta 7750 movement will fit into the watch without any mods?

The movement on the Skylands is the bane of these watches....else they rock.

Cheers

I believe the hands may be different.. but they are not cheap even if you source them outside .. the A7750 is really a good movement .. but as Ziggy say's "if serviced properly the A7750 is a good movement".. now as I stated.. when my movements stopped it was jus the regulator arms that were somehow involved.. since I adjusted the arms, my Black Steel has needed only one minor adjustment to the + and it has been running spot on to my blackberry .. as has the grey and black dial skylands..

it is so easy to do.. if I can do it .. you surely can.. all you need is duct tape and a toothpick.. that's all the implements you will need.

It was just a few of these movements that stopped .. it hasn't been problematic with all the A7750 released with the skylands..

IMO unless your going to use your Black Steel a lot then paying for a Swiss 7750 is steep .. because in the end you have an expensive movement in a Rep case . ... without genuine parts (franken parts) .. but if you want to spend the money.. example ~ Raymond,..aka.. rckh .. does not buy a lot of reps .. but the ones he does fancy and with very good taste.. usually have the ETA 7750 .. so he (IMO again) .. goes for very good quality and not too many other models and brands..

There.. those are some of the Pro's and con's to confuse you some more.. B)

@breitlingomega ... maybe we can borrow some measurements off of you genuine .. sorry I wasn't thinking clearly earlier.. didn't eat for 7 hours .. I knew I was in for a gourging today..

do you have a caliper that can measure the pearl ?? .. it is not a big deal.. but now that andreww planted the seed it will linger until we get the answer.. OCD.. coming out.. :mellow:

Actually Lan, a Swiss 7750 transplant is pretty straight forward. The chrono second hand is slightly smaller on the rep and should be broached, but apparently it can just be put on with a little extra force. I don't think there would be a ton of savings however, at almost $500 for the watch (shipped), plus almost $500 for the ETA 7750, plus labor to switch the movement, you are looking at about the same cost as buying the Swiss version.

A better option IMO would be to send the asian version to Zig for service (and have it relumed while its there), as you will end up with a stunning watch that will be every bit as reliable as the swiss version

A better option IMO would be to send the asian version to Zig for service (and have it relumed while its there), as you will end up with a stunning watch that will be every bit as reliable as the swiss version

Agreed.

Who could drop over a grand into this watch and tolerate those lume dots?....

Send it out for service and relume,and its an accurate,reliable replica.

I believe the hands may be different.. but they are not cheap even if you source them outside .. the A7750 is really a good movement .. but as The Zigmeister say's "if serviced properly the A7750 is a good movement".. now as I stated.. when my movements stopped it was jus the regulator arms that were somehow involved.. since I adjusted the arms, my Black Steel has needed only one minor adjustment to the + and it has been running spot on to my blackberry .. as has the grey and black dial skylands..

it is so easy to do.. if I can do it .. you surely can.. all you need is duct tape and a toothpick.. that's all the implements you will need.

It was just a few of these movements that stopped .. it hasn't been problematic with all the A7750 released with the skylands..

IMO unless your going to use your Black Steel a lot then paying for a Swiss 7750 is steep .. because in the end you have an expensive movement in a Rep case . ... without genuine parts (franken parts) .. but if you want to spend the money.. example ~ Raymond,..aka.. rckh .. does not buy a lot of reps .. but the ones he does fancy and with very good taste.. usually have the ETA 7750 .. so he (IMO again) .. goes for very good quality and not too many other models and brands..

There.. those are some of the Pro's and con's to confuse you some more.. B)

@breitlingomega ... maybe we can borrow some measurements off of you genuine .. sorry I wasn't thinking clearly earlier.. didn't eat for 7 hours .. I knew I was in for a gourging today..

do you have a caliper that can measure the pearl ?? .. it is not a big deal.. but now that andreww planted the seed it will linger until we get the answer.. OCD.. coming out.. :mellow:

Hey Lani, I would love to be able to make some contribution to this thread, but I'm sorry to say I don't have a micrometer :(

Hey Lani, I would love to be able to make some contribution to this thread, but I'm sorry to say I don't have a micrometer :(

that is one bad boy you should have.. Ofrei has one with a digital read out for about 20 something USD :)

No worries.. we'll get you more involved somehow :sly:

Black Steel part II will be coming out.. without the ugency of the first.. there was ugency not so we would be the "first" to post pics,.. but becauseI needed to get it out before the American Thanksgiving Holiday.. my work has a lot to do with AD space..and the retailers for "Black Fiday",... so come closer to the day of the big sales .. work gets to be very intense and challenging.. with little sleep .. and this year's sense of ugency in the industry is for obvious reasons arond the world..

So the review had a definate time line for posting .. it had to be before the madness started before the weekend .. and like everyone else that post reviews or pictorials .. it takes loads of time

anyway .. stay tuned for the follow up review .. it is more realistic to wear the timepiece and get a feel for it all .. so hence the follow up .. and to get members with the genuine article in hand to participate.. B)

that is one bad boy you should have.. Ofrei has one with a digital read out for about 20 something USD :)

No worries.. we'll get you more involved somehow :sly:

Black Steel part II will be coming out.. without the ugency of the first.. there was ugency not so we would be the "first" to post pics,.. but becauseI needed to get it out before the American Thanksgiving Holiday.. my work has a lot to do with AD space..and the retailers for "Black Fiday",... so come closer to the day of the big sales .. work gets to be very intense and challenging.. with little sleep .. and this year's sense of ugency in the industry is for obvious reasons arond the world..

So the review had a definate time line for posting .. it had to be before the madness started before the weekend .. and like everyone else that post reviews or pictorials .. it takes loads of time

anyway .. stay tuned for the follow up review .. it is more realistic to wear the timepiece and get a feel for it all .. so hence the follow up .. and to get members with the genuine article in hand to participate.. B)

I like your style Lani - REAL WORLD BABY!!!!

Oh Christ!!! I need this and I thought I was done for a while with my new Ultimate 088 that I also spent $150.00 on to correct the crappy inaccurate lume on this new suppossed 1:1 rep!!

SO watch $450ish with shipping + service $100ish + lume $150ish = $700ish for a perfect rep that will run strong and will be truely 1:1

Sounds like alot of money but you know what I am going to do it after the holidays. I needs it man I needs it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Actually Lan, a Swiss 7750 transplant is pretty straight forward. The chrono second hand is slightly smaller on the rep and should be broached, but apparently it can just be put on with a little extra force. I don't think there would be a ton of savings however, at almost $500 for the watch (shipped), plus almost $500 for the ETA 7750, plus labor to switch the movement, you are looking at about the same cost as buying the Swiss version.

Makes a whole lot of sense me thinks... B) ..

if anyone is one the fence about this one, let me push you over. this is by far the best rep i have ever owned. i realize it is expensive for an asian movement but this one has the look and feel of a gen. i can't stop looking at the finish of the v2 ... i would call it gunmetal with a soft satin finish. here is a wristshot from yesterday. all the best.

DSC08262.jpg