When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wombat's watch collection

wombat247

Yes, I stand corrected. I am usually guilty of not giving Patek props as their designs have always left me flat and I never pay attention to what they are doing. A lot of my freinds have them and they are always fragile and breaking. But that is another thread...

So that is why I always think of Lange with the mini-rotors. BTW, I also had a GO PanomaticReserve. It was nice but I never wore it. Now when I think of GO I always think of the "butterfly" double balance cocks. Man, is that design ever beautiful or what?

9001030304b.jpg

I've always thought of it as being patekesque since the first micro-rotor I saw was on a patek. I've always been a fan since you get an automatic watch where you can actually see the movement. I traded my GO Panomaticlunar for the Langematik btw and it too had a microrotor. I like micro-rotor watches for the added benefit of knowing they're not reps... not yet anyway. Once they start repping quality micro-rotors, I'll be a buyer.

Yes, I stand corrected. I am usually guilty of not giving Patek props as their designs have always left me flat and I never pay attention to what they are doing. A lot of my freinds have them and they are always fragile and breaking. But that is another thread...

So that is why I always think of Lange with the mini-rotors. BTW, I also had a GO PanomaticReserve. It was nice but I never wore it. Now when I think of GO I always think of the "butterfly" double balance cocks. Man, is that design ever beautiful or what?

9001030304b.jpg

Here's the back of the langematik... notice how they still hand carve the bridge (a glashutte tradition) but not nearly as intricately as on the GO... also note that the rotor is 18k with a platinum weight... the entire movment is made from German Silver (don't ask me what that means but I think it's some fancy form of nickel) so the watch is deceptively heavy... such a work of art...

IMG_0789.JPG

Yes, many prefer others to Lange as some feel they are almost too organic and almost imprecise in that way. I love that all the balance cocks are differnet myself. In fact, if you sent your watch to Lange, everyone there almost would be able to tell which engraver did it - and she is probably still there too!

And yes, Lange is famous for making all the bridges and plates out of untreated German silver which ages to a golden warm patina over time. Many don't know but the choice for the silver was a regional one. The Saxony government talked Adolph Lange into helping revitalize the area and gave him some subsidy in the beginning to do so. Glashutte sits against the Ore Mountains which used to be a major silver mining center. As that industry waned there were many out of work but fairly skilled laborers. Lange moved there and trained many of the original labor force from the mining industry and decided to use the plentiful silver right on his doorstep when creating his first movements. It stuck and continues today. Neat stuff...

Here's the back of the langematik... notice how they still hand carve the bridge (a glashutte tradition) but not nearly as intricately as on the GO... also note that the rotor is 18k with a platinum weight... the entire movment is made from German Silver (don't ask me what that means but I think it's some fancy form of nickel) so the watch is deceptively heavy... such a work of art...

IMG_0789.JPG

And yes, Lange is famous for making all the bridges and plates out of untreated German silver which ages to a golden warm patina over time. Many don't know but the choice for the silver was a regional one. The Saxony government talked Adolph Lange into helping revitalize the area and gave him some subsidy in the beginning to do so. Glashutte sits against the Ore Mountains which used to be a major silver mining center. As that industry waned there were many out of work but fairly skilled laborers. Lange moved there and trained many of the original labor force from the mining industry and decided to use the plentiful silver right on his doorstep when creating his first movements. It stuck and continues today. Neat stuff...

German silver is a tarnish resistant alloy of nickel, copper and zinc that resembles silver it's also known as nickel silver.

Right, which is why it colors as it ages that way. As opposed to say Sterling Silver which will temporarily tarnish but will not change color as it ages...

German silver is a tarnish resistant alloy of nickel, copper and zinc that resembles silver it's also known as nickel silver.

Holy Mother of God.....

... and I thought I had a watch problem..... :p

Stunning collection you have there, wombat. I shall bookmark this thread and show it to my wife next time she asks me why I have so many watches..... ;)

just... impressive.

Holly cow... the Choppie LUC, the Nardin and the Lange make a sweet core... and a SD to top it with the cherry.

I don't even have the space to store 7 cases! That collection must have a wifey cost... shoes? makeup? designer dresses? bags? jewelry?

hope it's just makeup... =)

awsome collection!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...