When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

$80,000 Rolex

Nanuq

If it's genuine.....apart from the fact that it's butt ugly.......just a battered old steel Sub......who in their right fuggin' mind would spend that amount on this piece of [censored]......I wouldn't give you $800 for it.......hyped up to fug' all these old Rolexii.....but the world is populated by cupid stunts with way too much money and no sense of how to best utilise it.......! :bangin:

Edited by TTK

If it's genuine.....apart from the fact that it's butt ugly.......just a battered old steel Sub......who in their right fuggin' mind would spend that amount on this piece of shit......I wouldn't give you $800 for it.......hyped up to fug' all these old Rolexii.....but the world is populated by cupid stunts with way too much money and no sense of how to best utilise it.......! :bangin:

:lol:

This watch sent me running to Skeet and Urhl (Vintage Rolex Sport Models) when I ran across it on the bay.

Some idiot at Interwatches did the write-up and couldn't even get the movement right originally. They did revise it slightly and put in the A296 movement. There is no caliber 16712, never was, never will be. In English caliber means movement. The idiot didn't realize that 16712 was the movement number! I guess he doesn't realize that Rolex numbers their movements.

The biggest thing that screams out at me is the bezel insert. It's a later replacement, and I guess the only question would be if it was done by an RSC or not. They should have mentioned it nevertheless.

It could be a 6200 or a 6204. The caseback says 6200, but they don't give a between the lugs shot, or even divulge the serial number.

I do figure that the band is a later one, the original being rivetted, I would think. The Brevet crown doesn't bother me, and an early Sub, wouldn't have the name, or necessarily the 100m=330ft on the dial.

For an $80,000.00 price tag, however, you have got to have some GD provenance. And it needs to be pretty damn good provenance. I guess Interwatches is keeping it a secret.

The vintage Rolex market is HOT, HOT, HOT these days. I ran across a 6034 for close to 6 figures last week and the 6238 on ebay went for $26,785.00 this week. Pretty incredible.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A%3AIT&rd=1

If it's genuine.....apart from the fact that it's butt ugly.......just a battered old steel Sub......who in their right fuggin' mind would spend that amount on this piece of [censored]......I wouldn't give you $800 for it.......hyped up to fug' all these old Rolexii.....but the world is populated by cupid stunts with way too much money and no sense of how to best utilise it.......! :bangin:

Better to spend the $80K on a Breguet, eh TTK? :)

(I would agree actually.)

And Robert Maron gives you a provenance about their early sub. Also, the hands look better, serial number, story about the marked out Submariner on the dial, good bezel. The only thing is the A295 should be an A296 but I figure it's a typo.

Certainly a much better example for a lot less money (but still too much for me, guess I'll have to get back to modding my DRSD and be happy!)

@Admin....you got it......but better to spend 80K on several Breguets......or JLC....or heaven forbid...... PATEKS.....instead of this scabby old back of the drawer unspectacular tawdry STEEL mundane watch....!

Edited by TTK

I heard somewhere in a field of dreams "If you build it they will come". It falls hand in hand with " If you list it, they will bid". TTK is on the mark, someone with more money than brains will purchase it seeking a vintage pre-40's rolex. The term pre-40's is beginning to fetch a price the same as Victorian. The old addage proves true - a fool and his money are soon parted. B)