When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Eta 7750 Vs Asian 7750 Overhaul

Rolexman

I'm just curious if an experienced watch maker, who overhauled and serviced dozens of ETA 7750s, can also do an Asian 7750b1 (new Asian 7750)?.......

Are there great differences or problems that could occur while servicing the Asian which he didn't yet encountered while servicing an ETA 7750?

Thanks!

Edited by Rolexman

pm sent

I'm just curious if an experienced watch maker, who overhauled and serviced dozens of ETA 7750s, can also do an Asian 7750b1 (new Asian 7750)?.......

Are there great differences or problems that could occur while servicing the Asian which he didn't yet encountered while servicing an ETA 7750?

Thanks!

Intelligent?? :Jumpy:, Ive sent him the name from my watchmaker in holland, he is cheap and good.

I am sure artoero has an intelligent answer but mine is the difference in the quality of the parts and finding whatever crap has been left in the movement. If an Asian 7750 dies and I still like the rep I usually favor replacing it with Swiss.

A 7750 is a 7750 they are all basically the same...except for as follows...

All 7750 Asian models are advertized by the dealers as 7750's, when in fact there is only one true 7750, that is one with subdials at 6-9-12, anything else is NOT a 7750...ie a 188/196 is NOT a 7750, the layout is that of a 7753...I stress layout, the movement is a basterdized 7750 and no where near the design of a ETA 7753...

So your question is dependant on the model your referring to...anything other than a true 7750 layout is going to mess with your watchmakers mind...and due to the modifications to the movement will test his ability to think outside the box and get 1. the movement apart, and 2. back together, and 3. deal with the quirks that an Asian model presents that an ETA doesnt'...

So other than the fact there is only one true 7750 model (subdials at 6-9-12), there are some area's that are problematic on Asian models that are not a problem on an ETA.

1. All Asian 7750's except for the new 28,800 BPH models have junk cannon pins, they slip. You have to stake them to get them tightened up...and an ETA part will NOT fit a Asian one, so if he breaks it while trying to tighten it up, he's SOL...remember these people are used to simply replacing the defective part with an ETA one...no can do on these ones...you have to come up with a repair, which I have done...

2. Most need to have the pallet stones re-glued in the pallet arm, they are loose...

Other than these issues, and of course some unconventional parts depending on the model, and coming up with a way to get it all torn down and back together, it's a piece of cake...

In the past two days I have serviced 2 Asian 7750's, one was a complete basket case, rust, defective parts, removal of metal needed on some plates to get the parts to work, dirty as hell, datewindow off center etc...your run of the mill watchmaker will be tested if he gets one of these, becasue ETA models dont' have these issues, and also I have spare parts and in this example I replaced many parts to get this fellows watch up and running...

Fixing a basket case required custome work, something not everyone is willing to do or capable of...

The second example I am servicing right now is perfect...so it runs the extreme of crap to pristine...

Got to run, watches waiting and I am leaving for holidays soon...

Cheers,

RG

I've thought about taking my asian 7750 Daytona in to a local watchmaker who seemed willing to work on reps.

After some thought and hesitation, I decided it would not be a good idea, for the exact reasons The Zigmeister states.

I was afraid things might go wrong and the watchmaker would run into problems that he couln't handle.

Thanks Zig.. you are the king!

The watch I was willing to get serviced by a local experienced watchmaker is the Bentley GT with the new 28,800 BPH movement (6-9-12 layout) so he should be able to do the overhaul and servicing without any big problems I recon.....

Edited by Rolexman

Thanks Zig.. you are the king!

The watch I was willing to get serviced by a local experienced watchmaker is the Bentley GT with the new 28,800 BPH movement (6-9-12 layout) so he should be able to do the overhaul and servicing without any big problems I recon.....

Piece of cake for your local guy, he should have no problems...

Just make sure he glues the pallet stones and does not clean them in the ultrasonic machine...other than this, it's just like an ETA.

@pugwash

Yours is the pristine one, couple of minor issues which I have fixed, email with full hard-to-read-details sent...running great on the bench...

RG

@pugwash

Yours is the pristine one, couple of minor issues which I have fixed, email with full hard-to-read-details sent...running great on the bench...

I read the mail and am exceedingly happy. It looks like this watch will need booking in for an appointment on your bench in another five years.

Pristine. :D

ps. For those of you playing at home, the watch we're discussing is my IWC GST Chrono:

91649-28162.jpg

The watchmaker I contacted could do the overhaul for Euro 85,-.... complete disassembling, oiling and regulating. He said he usually works for jewelers who don't have a own repair service. He has been doing this for 40 years and overhauled dozens of 7750. Can this be true???.... I also asked him if it wasn't just a dip. He guaranteed me it wasn't!

It's like bringing your car in for servicing.... it's all about trust. You never know for sure if they've done all the things they say they've done.

Euro 85,- is cheap. So cheap I'm a little paranoid.

Edited by Rolexman

That is a great price, and it's hard to know if the price reflects the actual work he says he will do...

Unfortunatly there is no way to know if the work was done, unless you can have a look when it's torn down to pieces...otherwise, you have to go on your gut feeling...

Reality is, anyone can change whatever they want to charge...I could charge $1 for a 7750 overhaul... Would I? Not likely, but I could if I wanted to...

If you can, have a look at his shop before you give up your watch for service, you can quickly tell if he tears them down by looking around...

RG

I would mention 3 things.

1. The cannon pin will be loose, ETA parts dont' fit, it has to be staked lightely to tighten it up, if not staked, it will slip and your watch will not tell the correct time.

2. Pallet stones should be glued as the varnish they use is bad, I leave the varnish in place, and put some glue on the back of the stones.

3. Do NOT clean the balance and [censored] or the pallet arm in the ultrasonic machine, they will be damaged if you do...

Other than this, it's just like any other 7750...

RG

I just go through Ziggy. He's experienced and knowledgable with plenty of movements of all types, and is quite familiar with the Asian 7750's. I certainly don't mind paying for Ziggy's expetise; for one, there's no need to have to tell him to be cautious of any movement caveats as he's already aware of the things to watch out for. it's just peace of mind for me, and his prices are already excellent.

What Randy said.

I was going to try a local watchsmith to service an asian Daytona and after some thought I decided that I'd rather wait for The Zigmeister to come back in September than try to explain to my watchmaker about all the potential problems sevicing a rep.

I tried that once with another rep and my watchsmith thought I was over-exaggerating. I politely left his shop without leaving the rep to service. Too risky.

• 3 weeks later...
Reality is, anyone can change whatever they want to charge...I could charge $1 for a 7750 overhaul... Would I? Not likely, but I could if I wanted to...

If you can, have a look at his shop before you give up your watch for service, you can quickly tell if he tears them down by looking around...

Now I've got interested as well.... shipping a rep to canada by airmail and back again is also a costly and tricky thing. Visiting a local shop and dropping of / collecting the watch personally is thus an advantage, I guess without the risk of customs seizing the watch or having the watch damaged in transport.

How do you handle these issues?

Edited by erwinner

Now I've got interested as well.... shipping a rep to canada by airmail and back again is also a costly and tricky thing. Visiting a local shop and dropping of / collecting the watch personally is thus an advantage, I guess without the risk of customs seizing the watch or having the watch damaged in transport.

How do you handle these issues?

Good question! I want to know this too. Are there any things one should know to avoid custom issues?