When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pics of rep movements...just leads to more ?'s

ifly65

My first two reps were exactly as described by the RWG forum members. The first movement is a ladies DJ purchased two weeks ago, the second movement (pic #3) is a cheapo TT blue which I purchased a month ago while I wait for my Euromariner TT to be shipped.

I used the 'ball of tape' method to remove the casebacks. I was happy to see the swiss movement inside the DJ!

Ive read many posts about ETA...swiss, asian, swissnese...etc. The more I read, the more Im confused :huh:

Where were the Gen Swiss ETA's produced that are found in some older reps? Where are the Euromariner's Gen Swiss 2836-2 produced? Am I correct that most of the movements are made in Asia, if so how can they be 'Gen' swiss ETA?

Where was this swiss movement produced?

Ladies DJ:

IMG_0726.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg

ST6D inside Blue TT running strong after 4 weeks:

IMG_0700.jpg

I believe I read something that said the gold colored ETAs were produced in China whereas "Nickle Plated ETAs" were produced in Switzerland but I just remember seeing something about that offhand in a discussion (about the "old" days of rep collecting where you could still GET gen ETAs!!). I'm of the opinion that most of the things we see advertised as Gen ETAs are not, in fact, genuine Swatch/ETA movements but quite honestly I've had no trouble from any of my A2836s so I'm really not that concerned about it (unless, of course, someone is charging for gen ETA's but using Asian ETAs...that's dishonest)

i don't think the color matters. i'm not sure but the mov't in that DJ MAY

be a clone. chris from eurotimez posted some pix showing that the big gray wheel should usually be brushed finish in the gen and shiney

in the clone. but that may not always be true. its hard to tell unless you are an expert. also some of the newer mov't may be hybrids or recycled .

I have seen China made goldtone Eta 2671 clones but none were marked Eta. They sold for $28US retail in mid 2007.

Same dial foot location, hand size etc.

If they were stamped with Eta trademarks they would be hard to spot because a genuine Eta 2671 is not very slick anyway.

Eta 2824/36 etc clones with Eta trademarks are also hard to spot for regular watch guys. Someone used to working on modern Eta movements could tell.

Most of today's 'Swiss replicas' = 100% China made watch with China replica Eta movement at an inflated price.

'Asian replicas' = 100% China made watch with regular Asian movement at a fair price.

Imho, if the entire watch is Asian made including a China made Swiss clone movement...it should be priced accordingly. Maybe sell them for $25 or $50 above regular Asian movement watches, not a few $hundred.

Always remember replica watch Rule #1:

If they lie about the name on the dial...

Thanks everyone. I bought both watches at great prices. I knew the DJ couldnt be a genuine swatch/swiss movement at the price I paid (thanks to both sellers on RWG for nice watches).