When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Date Disc Overlays

stilty

Exactly correct. The center point of the date font on an ETA is a mm or so off from the center point for the date font on a Rolex. MBWs & other rep dials cut their date window so that the ETA date is centered. But if you swap the rep dial for a gen dial, the date will be off-center since the gen dial's date window was cut to center a Rolex calibre's date font. At least, that is the problem I ran into with my 1665 & 6542 projects.

Indeed the eta datewheel is spaced further out center vs rolex movements. However all dials where the date window cutout is exactly beneath, and nicely centered in a gen crystal cyclops, the Stilty overlay should work.

I build quite a number of DJ frankens, using the cubic works or MBW overlays, on genuine dials, and never had a problem the overlays didnt match the date cut out.

Gen acryllic crystal with TW best rep dial and MBW open 6/9 datehweel overlay.

capture000139pr.jpg

Anyways im still in!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that we all just have to be a little more specific.

I have two MBW vintages 1665 and a 1680. The 1665 with the MBW dial and my 1680 with the GEN dial both work with GEN spaced overlays. If you look at the MBW overlay - it is not designed to match up to the ETA spacing (on these vintages at least). In fact - i think that they were made specifically to shift the numbers to the correct Rolex spacing.

It may not be the case on the new models (non-vintage). Does anyone else have the same experience?

Thanks Stilty, but I am pretty sure that my rep 1655 dial is no where near gen spec. as the overlay on the ETA movement is much smaller to fit the date window.

I will duck out of this for now......but thank you for all your work so far!

Good luck in your venture.

To be a bit more helpful about this, my homemade flat top 3 overlay measures 9.14mm from centre to middle of date window, and has an overall diameter of 23mm.

If the flat top 3 DW's are compatible with this, I'm back in.

Stilty, would you please supply some dimensions. Thanks.

Hope they are better than the last crappy ones done by ubi and his gang. They were absolutely awfull. If they are any good I would have 2. Would have to see the quality first. Don't want to be ripped off again!!

<_<

We've all 'lost' money on attempted mods and parts that don't fit or work (my last one was Chief's AR cyclops) - it's part of the hobby - but you have to be a particular type to write such a bitter post, using words like "ripped off" and "crappy" insinuating dishonesty about a valued member and old friend of mine.

What is it now, 18 months and you still can't resist a cheap dig? Christ sake tell us how much you 'lost' 30, 60, 90 usd? I'll gladly start and contribute to a whip round if only not to have to suffer reading such embarrassingly petty whining ever again.

<_<

We've all 'lost' money on attempted mods and parts that don't fit or work (my last one was Chief's AR cyclops) - it's part of the hobby - but you have to be a particular type to write such a bitter post, using words like "ripped off" and "crappy" insinuating dishonesty about a valued member and old friend of mine.

What is it now, 18 months and you still can't resist a cheap dig? Christ sake tell us how much you 'lost' 30, 60, 90 usd? I'll gladly start and contribute to a whip round if only not to have to suffer reading such embarrassingly petty whining ever again.

Well said Doc.

Long time no post Sherrington.

Nice way to jump back in :rolleyes:

I'm confident in the file. I've measured 5 gen dials that I have, and they all fall within 0.01mm of center on the date window. I've used my measurements to assist in the layout.

For reference, I've layered a scan of one of a gen dial over the finished file.

Also, for reference, I've layered a "virtual" dial over the file with different dates to show the layout. My "virtual" dial is built from exact measurements of the gen dial.

testlayoutbf9.jpg

01inwindowxb8.jpg11inwindowps7.jpg22inwindowus3.jpg

Well, I'm getting worried that there might be a further delay due to "Chinese New Year" as I'm working on getting some blanks from China and am hoping it comes together before everything shuts down. These will be for the white blanks. I'm trying to find the pre-painted at a decent price and I may have my source!

I'm also looking at a source for the brushed radial blanks. I have one quote from a dial restorer, and they quoted me 45 euro for each finished blank! I'm waiting for a few other quotes to come in. If this is the only guy that can do it, I wil probably order a couple blanks for myself, but I don't know if others will be willing to pay that much. I guess it all depends on the final results.

@ slick: did you want champagne for the flat top 3? I could probably paint one of the white blanks, or see if I can get a gold radial brushed disc along with the silver. I have a gen in gold and it looks great.

Thanks.

Well, still awaiting word on the blanks. I hope I'm not holding up anyone's project too long. I just want to make sure of a quality product.

Anyway, I finished a modern 3135 date disc layout and sent the file off to be made into a printing plate. Again, the artwork was created for GEN dials. But, since this is all in vector, it is possible to shift the numbers to the right to align with Noob dials. I may have to reduce the font size slighty to fit the window in gen perspective. I would have to order another printing plate though. So I don't know if there would be enough interest for a Noob dial overlay. Once I get the Flat Top's and the gen spec 3135's, I'll look at Noob overlays if there is enough interest.

I apologize for the delay, but some things are out of my hands.

3135finalqp6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update you all.

I picked up a new sheet of blanks today and I am very happy with them. I found another source and they are huge improvement over my original batch that I tried to paint myself. So in a way, I'm glad I screwed up the first batch as these are far superior!

These ones will be professionally painted, and I'm just waiting to hear back from the painter as to when he can squeeze me in.

Here is a pic of the sheet I laid out for the painter. They are perfectly flat. These are stainless and for being so thin, they are quite stiff, so they will be perfect for using as an overlay.

OD of each disc is 23mm and ID is 14.9mm. Ideal to glue to your ETA date discs!

We're getting closer.

sheetofblanksnw8.jpg

The blank discs are getting painted. Hopefully I will be able to pick them up by the end of the week. I am having them painted white and champagne, and the painter is working at matching a silver finish, (not brushed radial) that I found on another 1570 disc. Still trying to perfect the brushed blanks. I hired a professional painter and left him with a gen white, gen champagne, and the gen silver painted disc to match color and texture.

I now have cliche plates for three layouts. I still have to create a 3035 file with round 3's and open 6 and 9's. But for now, once I get the blanks, production can start on the following.

-- 1:1 1575 Flat top 3 layed out for ETA date progression

-- 1:1 3135 layout

-- Noob 3135 layout - From the 3 noob dials that I have examples, they measure 0.14mm further right then the gen 3135. The noob date window is also 2% smaller then a gen I measured. So I reduced the font size by 2%.

Also, these will all be thin overlays. Material is 0.075mm in thickness.