When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Windsor Knot

TeeJay

You gotta choose a good quality tie in the first place. Your fighting a losing battle if you start with a long tampax wrapped in so called "silk". Also make sure your tie is long enough in the first place (pre knot) Nothing worse than a 6 inch gap between the end of your tie and your belt! A good quality, very thick, raw silk tie, on a pristine quality white shirt, with polished black shoes is your best bet imo. If you get that right the rest will take care of itself.

p.s 2 button single breast every time. Pure class.

TeeJay, what collar style are you going to wear? Double Windsors can look a little funny with point collars, with spread collars the DW is really the only way to go. Semi-spread is a bit more utilitarian.

I'd say at least a half-Windsor, but more likely a double Windsor would be appropriate.

You gotta choose a good quality tie in the first place. Your fighting a losing battle if you start with a long tampax wrapped in so called "silk". Also make sure your tie is long enough in the first place (pre knot) Nothing worse than a 6 inch gap between the end of your tie and your belt! A good quality, very thick, raw silk tie, on a pristine quality white shirt, with polished black shoes is your best bet imo. If you get that right the rest will take care of itself.

p.s 2 button single breast every time. Pure class.

Absolutely :) Nothing worse than a tie which is too short :lol: I have to admit, the tie in question isn't silk, but, it still looks the business B)

IMO nothing looks worse than a FAT knot, regardless of the type of collar.

The most beautiful Windsor is a nice tight double.

A fine silk tie is a must to get the tightest possible knot. Cheap silk/polyester ties cannot do it.

I have tied and retied the double, often up to say, 5 to 6 times to get just the right knot.

Worth the effort.

I certainly can't agree with that. Knot thickness should be chosen based on the variables, plus a bit of current fashion correctness. And now, big knots and wide spread collars are very much in. Thinner knots are great with tight point collars, but then tight points with ties are very much out of style but very much in style without ties and worn open. A thin knot and a standard pinpoint collar would probably be considered a bit 80's at the moment. But then being retro is considered cool too so go figure. Still a thin tight knot just doesn't fill the space of a wide spread and as such it looks very unbalanced. In dress for me, since I tend not to follow trends as much is to stay very neutral and balanced and let the conditions dictate. A shirt that suits the jacket. A tie that suits the shirt. A knot that suits whole look and above all, nothing too extreme in any of it whether knots, colors, cuts, etc...

IMO nothing looks worse than a FAT knot, regardless of the type of collar.

The most beautiful Windsor is a nice tight double.

A fine silk tie is a must to get the tightest possible knot. Cheap silk/polyester ties cannot do it.

I have tied and retied the double, often up to say, 5 to 6 times to get just the right knot.

Worth the effort.

If you feel you made a bad clothing choice for the evening, then fart or burp during the ceremony and I swear nobody will ever remember how you were dressed. :)

On the serious side, less is more, so you'll never go wrong if you don't try anything out of the etiquette book.

Good luck TJ!

Hey don't mean to beat this to death TJ but I found this for you while looking for something unrelated. This page shows a ton of different collars for a custome shirt place I buy from sometime. Not that they go to great lengths to emphasize it, but you can see how the knot style and size is (or should be) heavily influenced by the collar style. Cheers...

http://www.mytailor.com/Shirts.aspx?gclid=...CFQITswodaw2sCw

The best all around knot is the Half Windsor. It doesnt matter if your tall, short, fat, skinny, young or old; when its done right it looks good on everyone.

Here is the problem with the Four-In-Hand. It almost always results in a lop-sided knot. This is a good knot for juveniles and young adults....but not professionals or people who are concerned about impressing someone.

Four-In-Hand_tie_knot.jpg

This guy is a dork....a Double Windsor too loose. Hers something to remember that a lot of people have stored in the back of their mind...."The tighter the knot, the smarter you are; the fatter the knot, the dumber you are." Although I dont necessarily agree with that, you might want to avoid being viewed in this negative way.

fdoublewindsor.jpg

This knot is just really bad....he had the right idea....but didnt know how to clean it up. Looks like he just threw up on his shirt.

fdoublewindsor2.jpg

This guy failed to realize that he looked like a geek when he checked up from the neck up. See the problem? Too wide....too fat....too stupid.

fhalfwindsor3.jpg

This is basically how a Half Windsor should look (Collar isnt so good though). Nice and sharp. Even on both sides. Just right.

fhalf%20windsor.jpg

This is good to....but im not crazy about the collar. You should be able to make a Half or Full Windsor look like this.

fhalf%20windsor2.jpg

I think this looks good also.

fhalfwindsor4.jpg

Here is a GORGOUS Zegna ($5000 - $10,000)....To bad he screwed it up with that lousy knot. Best staying away from double breast also....you look like somebodys little puppet boy.

fzegnasuit.jpg

Bond in Brioni. Looks like Half Windsor.

fbondbrioni.jpg

Wow, I'm impressed once again at the broad and deeep knowledge base here. I must rember to give you a hoy robbie before I buy from Bergies somtime this season. I feel a suit and a pair of shoes coming on.

TJ: Don't sweat it mate. It's not your tie the only other important person there that day is going to be concerned with.

Col.

A knot can be fat or thin, but it must be sized right to the spread. A Full Windsor should never be worn with a pinpoint collar like this, nor should any not be obscured by the wings like this.

And yes, Bond has a Half Windsor. That knot goes with any collar style really - as long as the tightness is appropriate for the collar, but again, a Full Windsor should never be worn with anything other than wide spread collars.

And for the record, wide spreads are always considered more formal than points. For the most formal look a super wide English spread and a Full Windsor with a two button jacket is the ticket. That can be varied on down to less and less formal with more pointed collars and smaller, more assymetrical knots. For example a retail guy in a hardware store that has to wear a tie might choose a button down Oxford and a Four-In-Hand...

This guy is a dork....a Double Windsor too loose. Hers something to remember that a lot of people have stored in the back of their mind...."The tighter the knot, the smarter you are; the fatter the knot, the dumber you are." Although I dont necessarily agree with that, you might want to avoid being viewed in this negative way.

fdoublewindsor.jpg

Bond in Brioni. Looks like Half Windsor.

fbondbrioni.jpg