When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2008 Cousteau Diver

The macro lens by Nikon is great for the FX format (the older lenses). They don't have a decent DX lens for macro. It's one of the big reasons I'm waiting for the FX format to drop in price.

You could use the timer function or a remote trigger to make up for the lighter tripod.

I don't use my pro gear anymore as I haven't shot pro stuff for a few years (used to do sports photography)...and it's all film based.

I do use the timer or the remote.. but still need the heavy tripod.. instead of my travel aluminium one.. it does make a difference (to me)

I have not been to the camera shop ... my buddy used to moonlight their part time.. so whatever he say's .. good for me.. the new Nikon macro was delayed the last 5 times I checked .. but that was a long time ago.. I am happy for now with the sigma.. as he told me if the images are coming out crisp.. then stay with sigma.. as the Nikon macro is problematic.. (especially for the price)

Hi Dani,

Hope you are having a great Holiday Season in the land of Vikings.. B)

On the Advice of my buddy (who is a professional Photographer) I got the "Sigma Macro Lens" .. made for Nikon .. it is a manual , he said .. "learn how to use the manual settings on the Nikon" he told me the manual will produce better images if you can learn how to use it.. so I learned just by experimenting with all the settings .. for light .. in other words I manipulate the light .. not through the lamps .. but through the settings..

.. I am still waiting for Nikon to correct the problems and release their own Macro " (Nikon Macro about 1000 usd) .. all the pro's at the Camera shop tell me not to get the Macro Lens made by Nikon (yet) .. although it is auto.. for some reason .. (that I cannot remember them saying) .. Nikon has had technical problems with it...

you do need a heavy tripod for the macro (manual .. the one I have) .. even though the camera has the anti vibration mechanism.. the macro lens is ultra sensitive.

But then again you are talking to an "amateaur".. I have gotten into the habit of "holding my breath" whist focusing the lens,you can miss the shot easily.. since it is a manual.. that is the reason I take so long with taking the images.. and have to take many for 1 to work (for me) .. I am too picky at times..

hope that helps ..

Aloha~Cheers

L

Holidays are going great almost over, been almost in constant sleep for the last 2days so to have energy for the 23 to 26des :D Hope you are doing well over at the warm side :)

Yeah the Nikon is so high price its insane on some lenses.

I have a tripod and remote but yet to buy a good macro lens.

I have the 18-55 and the 18-200.

Thanks for the advices bro.

Holidays are going great almost over, been almost in constant sleep for the last 2days so to have energy for the 23 to 26des :D Hope you are doing well over at the warm side :)

Yeah the Nikon is so high price its insane on some lenses.

I have a tripod and remote but yet to buy a good macro lens.

I have the 18-55 and the 18-200.

Thanks for the advices bro.

Agree 100 .. I got the D60 on a great sale .. and now I remember the guy's at the shop saying the Nikon Macro is over priced and problematic.. get the "Sigma made for Nikon".. it's less costly.. however the settings are manual .. but once you get it ... you'll be happy..

the macro is great for pics where you want to take a large area outdoors too ..

be safe ma man !!

R

I would have to agree. It was all over for me after 2006. But I do like that one quite a bit. But the 44MM is a bit big for me given that it is all dial. Alas, speaking of the best years - how about the first? What I wouldn't give for one of these. The coolest JC ever IMHO...

cousteaunonchrono.jpg

This watch has gotten less appealing to me every year. Time for IWC to move on. :)

I would have to agree. It was all over for me after 2006. But I do like that one quite a bit. But the 44MM is a bit big for me given that it is all dial. Alas, speaking of the best years - how about the first? What I wouldn't give for one of these. The coolest JC ever IMHO...

cousteaunonchrono.jpg

I still like the 08 regardless :D ... I don't mind standing alone.. apart from the staus quo... B)

Nice pics on a nice watch Lani.

I cant say this is my favourite CD though but I am a bit old fashion so what do I know. For me white or black with red blue or maybe yellow detailings. This CD is way too bright for my old eyes.

IWC is my favourite brand but they need to be careful how they move ahead. Their regular series are great but their LE watches are quite a dissapointment if you ask me. Did you see their LE for the German national team? Albert Silberstein anyone?

My 0.2

Cheers

Siesta181

Nice pics on a nice watch Lani.

I cant say this is my favourite CD though but I am a bit old fashion so what do I know. For me white or black with red blue or maybe yellow detailings. This CD is way too bright for my old eyes.

IWC is my favourite brand but they need to be careful how they move ahead. Their regular series are great but their LE watches are quite a dissapointment if you ask me. Did you see their LE for the German national team? Albert Silberstein anyone?

My 0.2

Cheers

Siesta181

a lot of what you choose to wear is a personal choice.. no right or wrong really.. just enjoy.. :) ... some will not be trendy for a long time after they are released ... some are .. "ain't no big thing"

I do use the timer or the remote.. but still need the heavy tripod.. instead of my travel aluminium one.. it does make a difference (to me)

I have not been to the camera shop ... my buddy used to moonlight their part time.. so whatever he say's .. good for me.. the new Nikon macro was delayed the last 5 times I checked .. but that was a long time ago.. I am happy for now with the sigma.. as he told me if the images are coming out crisp.. then stay with sigma.. as the Nikon macro is problematic.. (especially for the price)

Yup...whatever your buddy says is working for you obviously with the pics you're taking. It's always a pleasure to look at them. I've used the Sigma and Tamron f2.8 macros as well as the Nikon and they're all excellent quality in the pro range lenses. These days, I'm just slapping together quickie pics using a G9 with makeshift lighting as I don't have access to proper lights and this macro stuff is quite new to me.

You know how it is...having to shoot hundreds of frames using various combinations to work your way through the learning curve.

Again...great job and great insights to go with the pics.

You go ahead and do just that Lani. That is what makes this place so great - it is filled with individuals and we all have differing tastes. I do like the new one better that last years though. I think a lot of it comes down to brightness of colors. I like more subdued, pastelish color schemes if I'm going to get off black or white so to that end the first two are less "bright" colorwise. In any event, great pics of a what looks to be a great rep. Cheers!

I still like the 08 regardless :D ... I don't mind standing alone.. apart from the staus quo... B)