When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Day Date recommendations?

lowprofile

Hi there,

I own an acrylic gen TT datejust and i dream to get a gen daydate in solid gold or rose gold. Problem is thats i cant justify buying one yet it seems too expensive even used ones.

Anyway, I have been reading a lot and would like to ask your advice.

1. I read to stay away from gold thus i will go with the stainless DD.

2. I also read that the roman numeral markers are one way or another will come in crooked and just scream "fake watch!" Is this really true? This seems to be the simplest of the daydates and i like simple.

3. Further, diamond markers are out since they also scream rep according to some members of the forum. I would like to get one in this option since i have seen a lot of reps with the stick markers which have at least 1 lume installed improperly.

this seems to be a good example of what i want or a simple silver dial.

http://www.pam111.com/product_info.php?cPa...products_id=974

W1780.jpg

Did Rolex bring out a model like this or not?

Any inputs will be of great help

Thanks

The watch pictured is supposed to be a glacier/ice blue dial. The color isn't very good really. And you should also know that the genuine watch is only available with that dial in platinum and retails for $47,500. So you may want to pic another dial for a rep. The stick markers or diamonds are best really as the romans are a little anemic (thin). If I were you I would go with a rhodium dial (darker silver grey) which is pretty good on the reps. I would stick with a steel watch which of course is also incorrect as the DD is only available in 750 and 950 and not steel, but it will pass looks wise but not weight and feel. The diamonds are actually not bad. Rolex uses flawless D diamonds in its watches and CZ's are actually fairlly perfect and colorless believe it or not. So CZ markers on the rep will actually look OK. Then you don't have the lume strength/color/appliaction issues either and if they are crooked you can heat the glue and reset them or have someone do it for you for a little labor fee. Hope that helps.

Hi there,

I own an acrylic gen TT datejust and i dream to get a gen daydate in solid gold or rose gold. Problem is thats i cant justify buying one yet it seems too expensive even used ones.

Anyway, I have been reading a lot and would like to ask your advice.

1. I read to stay away from gold thus i will go with the stainless DD.

2. I also read that the roman numeral markers are one way or another will come in crooked and just scream "fake watch!" Is this really true? This seems to be the simplest of the daydates and i like simple.

3. Further, diamond markers are out since they also scream rep according to some members of the forum. I would like to get one in this option since i have seen a lot of reps with the stick markers which have at least 1 lume installed improperly.

this seems to be a good example of what i want or a simple silver dial.

http://www.pam111.com/product_info.php?cPa...products_id=974

W1780.jpg

Did Rolex bring out a model like this or not?

Any inputs will be of great help

Thanks

thanks for the quick replies.

The ones above i feel a little feminine with the colors.

how about this one? silver diamonds(whats the difference bw this and the white diamonds?)

9a05f26df284bd888d81d05ed6618e5c.image.750x498.jpg

or this one white diamonds (whats the difference with the silver diamonds?)

15da0197e6f420695c453e19a0379618.image.750x498.jpg

this one will be my last priority due to the lume issue

ca91bfd3abc79b990de0cd572d5e5194.image.750x498.jpg

are these the rhodium dials?

Edited by lowprofile

Personally I would get the white dial from Josh. He will make it with a smooth or fluted bezel and either a President or Oyster bracelet on request. Although the Oysters have been recently discontinued on gen DD's. The silver is not really correct - it should be rhodium for this watch and what you show is too lightly colored. The white is a safe bet ad I think it looks great. You wont be unhappy with the CZ's as I said. Small CZ's look fine.

Oh and the glacier/ice blue is not feminine at all. I'm getting the gen soon and it is amazing in person. The rep color is just off and looks very turquoise. I have never seen a pic that captures the true color of it, but it looks more like this, but even lighter. It is a very subtle color and stunning. The best dial color by far IMO:

Iceblue.jpg

also i saw this at josh's site looks perfect for me. Did rolex make a run of these with this kinds of diamonds?

thanks again

1.jpg

Yes my father-in-law has the gen of this watch in solid yellow gold, but with a black face. It also has the baguette diamonds at the 6 and 9 positions. The watch is BEAUTIFUL.

I have the rep of this watch:

ddms2.jpg

I really like it any my only complaint apart from the weight is that the watch itself "looks" slightly smaller when compared to the gen... but I believe that is an issue with all the DD reps (not sure about the DD II tho)

Yes, the reps all look slightly smaller. That is a little known fact about these. The reason is the lugs. The width of each lug from the inner edge that touches the endlink to the outside edge of the horn at the thinnest part is narrower on the rep and thicker on the gen. The reason is that they probably started with the right size when they milled the case blanks, but then they took away too much metal when they polished the case. This really shows up on these watches alot. Consider two gen DJ's, one with the older and one with the newer case. The newer cases have the wider lug horns and the older has the original narrow style. The distance bigger is just a fraction, but it really changes the overall look of the watch in a big way. But keep in mind Rolex has NOT changed the DD case at all. The reps are pretty close to the gens though - a little smaller from over polishing but I agree they do always look smaller. But I think that can be more attributed due to smaller dials and larger dial fonts / spacing issues...

Corgi's old style case:

dsc01332gy6.jpg

My Gen M serial case:

Datejust3.jpg

BTW, to the OP I never answered your question. My gen DJ has a rhodium dial. Rhodium is the white metal used to make white gold look really white. It actually looks kind of like a multi-toned steely greyish silver. Much more alive looking than silver though. Very few Rolex watches are offered with silver dials anymore - mostly rhodium. But for your purposes here, think of rhodium as a color and not as a material as it relates to the way the dials look...

I just came from a market here in the phils. Boy they have a lot of reps! rolex, rado,omega, panerai, etc etc.

The price range is from 41 dollars ot a triple A, 72 dollars for a AAAA with swiss movement , and as high as 375 dollars for a "replica" with swiss movement.

Now im really confused. I looked and looked for about 3 hours and got tired and ended up with nothing to show for it.

Dont get me wrong, the quality looks great! Some are working some are not. Some rolexes have the small rolex logo at the 6 o clock position on the crystal mostly the 72 dollars worth.

Some have alignment issues on the crystal logo some have the diamond markers a little askew. some have the lume a little off center. The submariners have some with great looking pearls some are off center.

The deep sea dweller and the other supposed "swiss movement" watches look real good externally. If i had a rolex tool i may be able to convince some sellers to open the backcase and see if its really swiss or asian or whatever. Though i really dont know what an eta looks like.

A seller who was selling the 72 dollar watch told me i can bring it to a watch expert (lots of watch service centers there) and return it if its not swiss movement.

Most say that their watches were from korea and not china. Some claim japanese movement. Confusing aint it? I think they dont really know what they were selling.

Since i have an acrylic gen and did not bring it, i went to 3 separate stores who sold gens just to get the feel of the newer models. I could not tell the difference between the gens and the 40 dollar reps! Though i was not able to do a side by side comparison, i was convinced i want to get the 40 dollar rep.

So on i went to look at the reps again maybe on 5 or 6 different stores that i did not visit yet (i may have visited 15 or 20 rep stores today). It took another hour but i could not decide anymore since there were a lot of models to choose from. I went home confused.

Now what?

Jeez, I guess that could be a problem - paralysis due to access to too many reps of all quality levels. Too much of a good thing, I can't even imagine this.

Where is this, the Phillipines?

I have a newfound appreciation for Josh's website :)

Anyway, it sounds like you are overanalyzing, just pick something that looks good to you and go for it.

I Picked up this one up a few months ago from Ruby. I should have ordered it with the Presidential bracelet though....its more appropriate. I love the watch....but your right about the lume....its not that great. The price was excellent....about $208+ with ETA. Also, Ruby can custom make it any way you want. I prefer the smoothe bezel over the fluted....and im not crazy about diamond markers or diamond bezel....I think its too tacky....but some chicks like that kind of stuff.

DSC00309.JPG

DSC00305.JPG

DSC00304.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, the reps all look slightly smaller. That is a little known fact about these. The reason is the lugs. The width of each lug from the inner edge that touches the endlink to the outside edge of the horn at the thinnest part is narrower on the rep and thicker on the gen. The reason is that they probably started with the right size when they milled the case blanks, but then they took away too much metal when they polished the case. This really shows up on these watches alot. Consider two gen DJ's, one with the older and one with the newer case. The newer cases have the wider lug horns and the older has the original narrow style. The distance bigger is just a fraction, but it really changes the overall look of the watch in a big way. But keep in mind Rolex has NOT changed the DD case at all. The reps are pretty close to the gens though - a little smaller from over polishing but I agree they do always look smaller. But I think that can be more attributed due to smaller dials and larger dial fonts / spacing issues...

Corgi's old style case:

dsc01332gy6.jpg

My Gen M serial case:

Datejust3.jpg

BTW, to the OP I never answered your question. My gen DJ has a rhodium dial. Rhodium is the white metal used to make white gold look really white. It actually looks kind of like a multi-toned steely greyish silver. Much more alive looking than silver though. Very few Rolex watches are offered with silver dials anymore - mostly rhodium. But for your purposes here, think of rhodium as a color and not as a material as it relates to the way the dials look...

Very informative post. I have wondered about the difference in size between the gen and rep DD for a very long time. Now I know. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
The gold does fade but only on the inside of the bracelet and usually it's not that much. I wore the watch below many times (it was my first rep) and I personally think it was a tremendous piece, the yellow gold just shined on this guy...

dsc03399uq2.jpg

dsc03484m2szms3.jpg

One of the guests at my wedding had a really obvious rep similar to this. It had the diamond markers though, and the bracelet was some kind of combination of a Jubilee bracelet with an Oyster clasp, and it had a movement which ticked solidly once a second ;)

The really funny thing about it, is the wearer used to be a Wing Commander in the RAF, lives in a huge house, and could certainly afford the gen if he wanted :lol: For me, that was the best indicator that people buy reps as much out of frugality with money, rather than that tired old excuse "they obviously couldn't afford the gen..." :lol:

One of the guests at my wedding had a really obvious rep similar to this. It had the diamond markers though, and the bracelet was some kind of combination of a Jubilee bracelet with an Oyster clasp, and it had a movement which ticked solidly once a second ;)

It may have been an Oysterquartz, which is a gen that ticks like a quartz watch (because it is)

17013and17000.jpg

It may have been an Oysterquartz, which is a gen that ticks like a quartz watch (because it is)

17013and17000.jpg

If that's the standard Oysterquartz bracelet, I still think it was a rep. The bracelet was literally like a Jubilee bracelet (as on the old GMT IIs) but with an Oyster-style clasp. Sadly, we never got the chance to talk watches, but I'm sure that the topic will present itself at some point in the future :) It wasn't even the color of the gold which made me think 'rep', because obviously, over the years, even a gold gen will start to appear 'muted'. It was just one of those 'hunches' from everything about the watch. Thinking about it, the fact his wife had once said to my mother in law that she had a few 'knock off Rolexes' should have been another clue for me :D

Of course, everyone knows that 'fake Rolexes tick', I just think the funny thing, is a non-watch enthusiast would likely ignore that benchmark in this case, as they would likely think that someone of that background would never buy a rep :lol: