When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My "Take" of "Old School" Members

lanikai

"Old School" .. is not just about "Time" but about a "Mind Set" Combine "Time and Mind Set" and you have "Old School"

First of all I hope this thread is taken in the spirit that I intend it to be :)

I have been hanging around this Community for about 2 years now and have seen members come and go .. some happily.. some not ... and in the time that I have been lucky to make valued friends and "learn" .. ( I still have a long way to go) .. I have a understanding of what some of the veterans are going through..

Now, to qualify what I am saying here, I will use my "experience" in another "Community" of sorts.

I have been training in gyms since I was 12 years of age .. and when I talk to people that I just meet.. they refer to my mind set as "Old School" (those who understand it)

I have a mind set for, the way to train.. the attitude of that training... and the way a gym should be treated,.. as far as the equipment and respect for it.. and for others training at the same time.. it's called now,.. "gym etiquette"... yeah, there is an unwritten "manners" to the gym.. or used to be.

We are there to train.. not wildly socialize ... Members who are preparing for contest or "shows" are to be given priority on all equipment .. weather your using it or not.. no matter how "big or small" they are.. they are training to "Win" ,.. and we should be there to respect that.

Weights should not be left on any bars,.. dumbells should not be dropped to the ground.. respect of your tools is all important !! It should be like you are entering your "Dojo" and you should not use your "feet" to push bars or dumbells on the floor.

You do not monopolize equipment.. in other words .. you do not put your towel on a equipment to say ... "only I can use this right now".. always allow others to "work in" .. and always ask if others are using equipment before helping yourself to it.

Don't grunt like your lifting a car.. if you have to .. then it's too heavy, so don't try and impress and do half movements just so you have 300 lbs. on the bench.

When payed a compliment on your "guns" .. be humble, say thanks.. and act like "you been there before" .. it took sweat and hard work to get them.. don't flaunt them.. cover up...

Wipe your sweat off all equipment before leaving it..

Train Hard .. or Go Home !! .. shut up and lift !! .. there is only one way to train.. HARD!

OK I think I made my point of "Old School" .. too bad these ideals don't exist anymore in most .. almost every gym.

members walking around you talking, and putting back plates on the power rack that you are lifting 540 lbs off of in an attempt to squat.. asking you a question while your in the middle of a rep.. :angry:

it's a "Mind Set" along with "time" along with "People" that were "taught and assimilated the same" .... OLD SCHOOL MINDSET

I have been around like I say for about 2 years.... but I do not qualify myself as "Old School" RWG... why? because the members who started on the original RWG forums .. "grew up" with different reps and at a different economic times.

Reps were not as detailed as they are today.. ergo,.. to get the rep. to be authentic.. they had to go Franken.. with genuine parts .. and were very , very meticulous in their attention to detail .. of course genuine parts were less expensive 5 years ago .. now they are outrageous .. IMO .. supply and demand..

RWG ,.. by far is the most technically membered forum on the net. WHY ? .. because of the "Old School" members that pass knowledge on to the newer members..

Now granted some have left .. IMO because they miss the "old way's" .. the coziness of a small tight community... that has grown into a mini megalopolis of watch forums.. with multinational members..but still has the karisma of caring and helping.. that will never leave .. again IMO..

So .. what I'm really getting at is: some newer members even us Junior Members.. may feel some of the old Schoolers are ragging on threads .. ie. incorrect font .. date window.. rehaut.. etc. .. but in reality are correct and reacting the way they were taught.

But, like I am in the gym.... after getting frustrated at the new breed of "gangsta kids" .. who cannot respect what it takes to "Train to win" .. and only want big arms and chest .. no legs... :( ... I come across at times as condescending .. mainly because when these kids ask for help.. then quit half way through the workout .. because it's obvious they don't want to work so hard or the "pain" is too much.. (real tough guy's ) ... cause I am "Old School" .

And when I see a member that is joining from our old "Golds Gym" .. which recently closed and we greet each other like only kindred spirits do.. with a manly hug .. that is the camaraderie .. that "Old School" members have for each other..

So My message here is, if your new.. or like me Junior... don't be discouraged or take things personal .... I myself will never be on the same plain as the original members nor try and immulate their expertise... and I don't say that with any bitterness.. but rather as a way of saying "I understand" that those who started off with the original RWG will always be just that .. the charter members ...

But we are now a bit of old and a bit of new ... some may say wow, some of those members are really harsh... just understand .. why RWG is so technically informed.. it's because of members that are so bent on perfection

Read Tribals.. or Ubi's reviews.. no frills( great pics .. but no need for the faux boxes etc.) .. all tech commentary... simple short .. Sweet !! .. Or Ziggy's tear downs of movements... precise ... a wealth of information !! Old school !!

So when Kruzer say's "Old School" ( hope it's OK to use this analogy W. it's meant in the most positive way) .. IMO .. he is connecting with kindred spirits.. of day's gone by.. Similar to what I do when getting together with friends that I used to train with back in the day when we competed ... to win.. not just to be on stage.. we always say.. " those day's are gone"... training 3 times a day.. living at the gym.. Waikiki World Gym ... the "Old School" day's

So again in conclusion... I mean this thread as a positive to the original RWG members and maybe some insight to members who are wondering why so much fuss over reps. ... they are as good as they are today .. in large part to the "Old School RWG members"

Aloha~Cheers

Lani

PS.. @ RobbieG ... hey brah, if your going to post ... you are restricted to a "I agree" or " I do not agree" ... :1a:

Nah... jus keep it under 100 words or less... :lol: ... Joke brah.. :whistling:... :brow:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHA I googled my screen name niss4u2nv and get this I just want to clear things up so people don't think that there is some conspiracy going on here. niss4u2nv. Jan 8 2005, 05:52 PM ... I have been on RWG since at least 2004 but was on other sites at least four years befor that. have seen it all I never post selfish of me you could say but im always open for questions and IMS I do a ton of research seen many great people come and go and some amazing people that i enjoy to read there posts still today. so i guess you could say IM old school just never post. But it is all about the reading and comparing studying that have made the reps what they are today. Cheers to all that post great information.

Replica-Watches-Guide.com Forums > My first Box from Paulniss4u2nv. Dec 23 2004, 08:30 PM. Check crystal with large hamm er.. THXuk. Dec 24 2004, 04:49 AM. this is the one that i have always thought about buying, ...

www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php?t5146.html - 15k - Cached - Similar pages

Edited by niss4u2nv

Guest HaloArchive

Let me keep this short:

Kudos to the OP! I agree with this. And, it can be seen anywhere where something was once nothing and turned into a mess of competition. People should be their selves and contribute their knowledge for everyones benefit.

Great thread lani, great thread. :good:

Like you mentioned, members who have just joined should grasp, in time to come, that the "old-schoolers":p on here are way, way much knowledgeable then 99.9% of experts in gen watch forums.

agree "one hundred" !! the Old Schoolers are much more "attention to detail" than most genuine owners I talk to .. they're thirst for the history and knowledge cannot be matched !

some newer members get discouraged .. well, I have come to learn that this forum mixes "fun" with serious knowledge.. and that knowledge can be misunderstood...as far as communicating it.. so to the newer arrivals and to the members with 1 or 2 years here .. the original members mean well ! somethings are lost with the different languages .. as different cultures perceive words not in their native language differently, and can convey them differently.. if I tried to speak their language i would surely screw it up :p .. and I give all the kudo's for them to be able to do this in just english !! .. thank G for me.. :rolleyes:

So if ya wanna learn and knowledge is definately power.. then "principles before personalities" works the best.. B)

Since you mentioned about the gym.....THINGS I HATE...

--people who wear cologne.

--people who does curls in the squat rack.

--people who does chest 3 times a week.

--people who fill up thier water jugs without lettting anyone go first.

--people who wear their Rolexes while working out.

(hehe, I saw someone wear a Pam once)

there's alot more of these gym "characters" everywhere.

Great thread lani, great thread. :good:

Like you mentioned, members who have just joined should grasp, in time to come, that the "old-schoolers" :p on here are way, way much knowledgeable then 99.9% of experts in gen watch forums.

+1 here.

(Is that short enough Lani :D )

Can't wait to see Robbie or TeeJay's replies :lol:

Well Lani, Im going to agree that this is an amazing post purely from the point that you have been training in a gym since you were 12, you must be very fit in all senses of the word! hehe

Just kidding, another incredible post that really captures the essence of why I believe RWG is THE rep forum.

I was beginning to think this was one of my posts. I had, how do you say? - "Brew some coffee" to read it all. LOL. Lani is being long winded like me.

I apologize to any who hate my post length - but I'm old school too ;) and I don't want to risk leaving something out for fear of being misunderstood. Talk about the all time backfires, huh? Still controversial and I actually try not to be. It is like some kind of twisted Abbott & Costello episode or something...

Seriously though, I just don't know how to condense thoughts and it is getting worse. I think it is my work. Everything is about complex relationships between events and we express each event by describing how it relates to other events simply put. In other words, there is never a simple answer or description of anything, where most other people are just going - "Yeah, yeah, we get all that..." But in my mind you make mistakes when you leave stuff out. Sorry Lani...

Hey on a more serious note - and back to something important like Hawaii, the old Gold's closed huh? How about the old World's location in Waikiki? Still a gym there?

"Old School" .. is not just about "Time" but about a "Mind Set" Combine "Time and Mind Set" and you have "Old School"

PS.. @ RobbieG ... hey brah, if your going to post ... you are restricted to a "I agree" or " I do not agree" ... :1a:

Nah... jus keep it under 100 words or less... :lol: ... Joke brah.. :whistling:... :brow:

Since you mentioned about the gym.....THINGS I HATE...

--people who wear cologne.

--people who does curls in the squat rack.

--people who does chest 3 times a week.

--people who fill up thier water jugs without lettting anyone go first.

--people who wear their Rolexes while working out.

(hehe, I saw someone wear a Pam once)

there's alot more of these gym "characters" everywhere.

And it'll only get worse starting tomorrow for the next few months...

And I sometimes wear my pam to the gym. :o

Well, that's an Old School way of thinking Lani. Couldn't agree more B)

Kind of like living by the "Golden Rule" and respecting your elders......Things that were drilled into us as kids and an art that sometimes seems lost

Having been around since early '04 I guess I'm Old School ;)

Im Eddie Lee's illegitimate stepchild and somehow I have hair like Elvis.

Bwhahahhah! Is that you, Brother? :D

Regarding O.S.

I'm always amazed at the knowlege amassed in the pages of this and the previous forums. I guess in years spent (certainly money) I might approach the O.S. stamp but let's be serious, I'll always be a newbie compared to some great characters in the history of this hobby. Plus, this side of the watch collection really is more fun than the gen side. I enjoy both but the search for perfection with reps reminds me of playing golf. No matter how good you get you haven't mastered the game. I have a long way to go in both. As far as the people, that is what really brings me back, even when I take breaks. The gen side has nothing on you guys. I doubt they know what they are missing.

Cheers,

CM

Boy isn't that the truth. When I became a serious gen collector and my piece count started to get up there I started sniffing around TZ and other forums as I thought maybe I should be there as well as here. Man was I wrong. What a bunch of boring snobs. The real watch nuts are here, but more importantly, the "real" people and life long brothers - the class act we all know as Lani ("R" to his buds) being just one of many. RWG is the best kept little secret on the web and its true strength has very little to do with watches. It is the melting pot of different personalities that are all welcome and who learn from each other by sharing (and caring) with and for one another...

The gen side has nothing on you guys. I doubt they know what they are missing.

Cheers,

CM

C'mon TJ, that was only 9 words? I think we have both disappointed here. How about a response with 9 paragraphs?

Serioiusly though, you and I should have a contest to see who has the highest average post word count. :D

You're quite right, bro, I'm letting the side down :lol: Your above post sums it up perfectly, if an explanation impacts multiple factors, those factors also require mentioning for the sake of precision and clarity :) I know that sometimes folks think I waffle, my family tell me often enough, I prefer to think that I'm simply being thorough and precise :lol:

lani, well thought out post; couldn't agree more with your thoughts ;)

while i wasn't around pre-RWG, i often feel like an old-timer. the reps these factories are coming out with now are truly amazing; even two short years ago i wouldn't have believed you if you had told me reps would get this close straight out of the box :o

deltatahoe

C'mon TJ, that was only 9 words? I think we have both disappointed here. How about a response with 9 paragraphs?

Serioiusly though, you and I should have a contest to see who has the highest average post word count. :D

TeeJay Posted Today, 07:38 AM

QUOTE (RobbieG @ Dec 31 2008, 04:04 PM)

Serioiusly though, you and I should have a contest to see who has the highest average post word count.

You're quite right, bro, I'm letting the side down Your above post sums it up perfectly, if an explanation impacts multiple factors, those factors also require mentioning for the sake of precision and clarity I know that sometimes folks think I waffle, my family tell me often enough, I prefer to think that I'm simply being thorough and precise

:huh: ......:meeting: ... WOW... A Kodack moment fo sure.... look peeps.. they are getting along fine.. playing nicely together...

.you guy's warm ma heart :):)

.jus like brotha's.. fighting one minute.. all good the next.. ahhh, ya made ma day guy's B)

and btw robbie.. jus bustin it.. with the long post deal... I know I can joke without you getting twisted brah.. some members have the gift of posting all the ideal thought's in one or two paragraphs.. I am not one of them.. it's an art form .. no shit ^_^

:huh: ......:meeting: ... WOW... A Kodack moment fo sure.... look peeps.. they are getting along fine.. playing nicely together...

.you guy's warm ma heart :):)

.jus like brotha's.. fighting one minute.. all good the next.. ahhh, ya made ma day guy's B)

and btw robbie.. jus bustin it.. with the long post deal... I know I can joke without you getting twisted brah.. some members have the gift of posting all the ideal thought's in one or two paragraphs.. I am not one of them.. it's an art form .. no shit ^_^

I think you've got us confused, amigo, I don't think there's ever been bad blood between me and Robbie, and sharing a birthday, that really makes us bros :lol: