When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of the New 29j Daytona Movement

@PT could share with us exactly what the factory says of this 29J movement? and You can get pictures from manufacturers of this so called "new 29J"?

@ Mahler, Factory have not given me any extra info on 29 jewel movement, however a couple of weeks back when the basel editons were released, i asked if the movement was to be installed in the older style daytona's. At that time, the answe was "No"

It is possible now it has been released according to other dealers posts, however i would like to see the 2008 daytona models taken apart to see if the movement is the same.

As for aquaring pictures, i can only obtain ones with caseback open, i cannot get any with movement taken apart. This is something i would like to see too.

Those who have ordered the 2008 versions it would be interested to hear about reliability. The older style daytona's would tend to give way in weeks, if the movement was bad...

Francisco, you are fast becoming one of the most valuable RWGers of all time! Thanks!!

The secs @ 6 Daytona is a prime example of the archibald theory of rep accuracy deminishing returns: Once a rep crosses a certain level of accuracy, it will fool everyone but hardcore collectors. But because of flaws inherent to its form or function, will never fool a single additional person no matter what "improvements" are made.

As long as Daytona reps use a 7750 of any kind it will be too thick and have jerky running seconds. 99.999% of the earth's population will not notice those flaws, but the remaining Daytona owners and WISes will instantly recognize your Daytona as rep no matter how many jewels are added to the movement, how the skeleton gears funtion, how truthful the dealers are, etc. You'll just have a longer time with which to not fool a single additional person.

I'd love a great Daytona, but along with the latest versions of decorated 6497's etc., this movement is a non-factor from the getgo.

Good to see everyone is on the same page :)

Soon we will have a firm answer, one way or the other, thanks to Francisco's efforts B)

I hope there will be a solid movement at the end of this, but I believe my hope will be in vain.....

I hope that factories decide to clone the right movement from a genuine and delete this variation a7750... perhaps that day it will be an "immaculate conception" ;) of an daytona reps

I hope that factories decide to clone the right movement from a genuine and delete this variation a7750... perhaps that day it will be an "immaculate conception" ;) of an daytona reps

Would that they could, but it is not worth it financially for them to even attempt such a thing, although I wish they would! :p

So, for the time being, am I right in thinking that one way to prolong this movement's life is to wear it less, so that friction has a lower chance of causing damage? Since the portuguese chrono is a dress watch, I can wear it only during formal occasions instead of wearing it daily as I'm doing it now.

Thanks!

thanks you so much francisco for your great work! you had saved many members on the forum some money =]

such an informative, pleasant to read and look tear-down of a movement !

i can't believe this bull.. i know the movement factories main idea is more "how to save more money so i can make more money on the movement"

but i mean- how much more money would it cost them for adding a few extra REAL jewels to the movements in the secs @ 6 movement? a few dimes more per movement? for a far-better and much more reliable movement.

they should understand, that if they make a bad movement for a great looking watch, that would make many rep collectors to avoid these watches- which mean this is the main way of how they will lose profits, and not the adding of a few extra jewels where needed on the movement.

on the other hand- if they would pay attention to the thousends of rep collectors, and will really work to improve the movement, with the REAL added jewels at the right places (and it doesnt matter- even if the movement will turn into a 39 jewels as long as the secs@6 module will be reliable) in that case all the people who avoided purchasing specific models of rep- will buy them! and it's not like the only watch using this movement is the daytona- there are some others too!

and if they are so concerned about their profits- i wouldn't mind paying an extra $10-20 on the rep price, for a REAL improved, correctly jeweled movement, which would cover their costs of the extra jewels added and the extra metal work required :)

hopefully the movement, and rep factories will understand that REALLY improving the movement, and not only by words- will make them more money, than saving on a couple of jewels and metal work.

db1

I doubt this module will ever be improved on. The Liaoning Watch Factory who makes almost all the A7750s used in reps does not make the sec@6 module. It's made lord knows where proberely in a factory under a house somewhere in GZ. The design of the module was proberly contracted out or just bought. Chances all the staff and boss know is how to churn out this MVT. The're factory workers and machineists not watch smiths. Thus nothing will be done in a large way to this MVT. It sounds like the changes are minimal as you would expect in this case. Engineering improvements rather than design.

One of our trusted dealers confirmed to me that the factory had made no claims of great improvment in this MVT "the factory..... didn't really mention much of an improvement" so the plot thickens.

Col.

• 2 weeks later...

1sy of all, thks for all the effort Francisco (great name by the way lol), it made a very interesting and informative read. I'me very much eager to learn about the portuguese version as this is one of my dream watches and I would love to buy one if there was a reliable movement...

Again, thks for all your input and hope to see the portuguese review...

All the best

1sy of all, thks for all the effort Francisco (great name by the way lol), it made a very interesting and informative read. I'me very much eager to learn about the portuguese version as this is one of my dream watches and I would love to buy one if there was a reliable movement...

Again, thks for all your input and hope to see the portuguese review...

All the best

The Portuguese has been sent to me. The member of the forum who bought the watch from Josh had customs problems (he had to pay a fee) but finally he has received the watch and it has been forwared to me.

Francisco... a common name in Spain lol

Francisco, thanks for the GREAT review. Guess I won't be buying a Daytona anytime soon. Got two already, one seconds @6 that's almost dead, and a secs @9 repaired by The Zigmeister. I suppose we won't really have a decent Daytona until someone gets the movement right. I had to laugh at the 29 jewel part, it reminds me of the time transistor radios were all the rage. Wow, I guess I am really old. They were marketed as " 6 TRANSISTORS!"," 16 TRANSISTORS!" and, apparantly, if you had more transistors than the next guy, you were really "with it". Well, I opened one of these things up, and, sure enough, there were the 16 transistors. But only about 5 of 'em were attached to any circuitry. So, truth in marketing would have advertised " 16 TRANSISTORS, 5 ACTUALLY WORKING TRANSISTORS!". But who would've bought 'em?

I guess we'll be in for a long wait.

THANKS FOR SAVING ME HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, sure, I was told they have 231 jewels.... :rolleyes:

OK, point taken, but from a logical standpoint, the watch reviewed has existed for a good few years, so the odds of it having no updated internals are higher.

if you got hold of the black one, which AFAIK hasn't existed up until now, that'd be the acid test for me.

OK, point taken, but from a logical standpoint, the watch reviewed has existed for a good few years, so the odds of it having no updated internals are higher.

if you got hold of the black one, which AFAIK hasn't existed up until now, that'd be the acid test for me.

Before buying it, Josh guaranted me that old stock of movements were sold out. He guaranted me that this watch has the "new improved" movement.

On the other hand, have you read the review of the "new improved" Portuguese movement that I posted a couple of days ago?

It is here:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Close-Inspection-IWC-t92019.html

And it shows that new Portuguese is the same...no improvement for reliability...no improvements.

Sorry...this is the sad reality...no improvements...no more jewels...nothing new...

Now...if you want to buy it... you have the info... you are free...

Francisco.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Thanks Francisco ...

Excellent photographic work.

I have a question for you, from 1 to 10 vote that checks the reliability of the movement well lubricated?

With respect.

well lubricated?...probbaly you mwan graphite...without graphite 2 over 10, with graphite 4 over 10.

Francisco.