When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of the New 29j Daytona Movement

Maybe it is old stock?

The one you got Francisco, it looks like the old Daytona, the subdial treatment is different from the new ones offered at Trusty's and Joshua's site.

I hope that's the situation, and thanks much for all your work on this.

I am not blaming ANYONE nor telling ANYONE what they should do or anything... (admins)

But why cant the ADMINS of ALL forums put some pressure on the dealers?!?! i don't know, maybe create a "cartel" of their own?!?!

Surely the forums influence people to buy from these "dealers"... and i know the forums don't account for 100% of their sales, but it has SOME impact...

If you were to remove them for some time and create sales for other "dealers" that don't lie... It may lead to price reduction and maybe, just maybe... HONESTY!

But this may just be a lost cause anyway as the past has shown that people will continue to buy these lie$ and fal$e marketing ploy$...

PP

It appears Josh and Andrew chose poor wording for their web site description.

The Zigmeister pointed out a while ago that the movement already had 29J. The "improved" aspect of the movement was just the skeletalized gears. The wording on their sites implies the 29J feature was new.

I'm angry at getting my hopes up; thanks Francisco for pointing this out... I guess I'm just going to have to spring for a gen Daytona one of these days if I want to own one.

Ultimately the question is: how can any normal person even verify that they are getting "movement x" in "wristwatch z" ? They simply cannot, and gambling with it is simply not a risk I'm willing to take.

Edited by Corgi

Thank you for this informative review Francisco !

Well written and documented with pictures - very clear and understandable.

Unfortunately we have found another product on the market which is described/advertised with lies... So one has always to be cautious when new movements appear... Very sad indeed since we are (as a big community) fighting for better quality and transparency in advertising for years now !

+1

So much for the "stick to our trusted dealers" moto...

It is very disappointing and i would really like to listen to what Jos has to say

about this review.

Thumbs up to Francisco for the effort and the money he put on this review in order

to open our eyes wide enough to see the trouth behind the marketing lies.

Thanks

First, a big thanks to Francisco for all the work involved in this review, much appreciated.

It puzzles me that they still refuse to construct the movement for this one correctly. Let's look at it this way, we have here just over 17,000 registered members. Knowing that Rolex is the brand which gets the most attention and the biggest following, still, Rolex is not everyone's cup of tea. So let's say that just under half of our membership lusts for a proper working Daytona, thats about 8,000 people, at almost $300 a pop...well, you do the math and tell me that it would not be worth it for them to get it right. Of course, adding jewels and reworking the movement would add cost and there for give us the new and improved - super duper Daytona at almost $450 a pop, which makes it an even better proposition for them to get it right. Heck, let's say my number of interested people is grossly inflated (which it probably is), and only a couple thousand want good Daytonas, still I feel its a popular enough model, that when finally updated properly, most of us (me included) will stand in line to buy another Daytona, even if we have 2 or 3 of them already.

Now, I am not sticking up for anyone here, but, the cartel has brought the hobby some pretty amazing stuff this past year, the Skyland, DSSD, AP ROO seconds at 12, etc. All of these may have their shortcommings, but hey, they are replicas after all and they look amazing with great detail. Still with all the advancements and replications of new watches practically every week (some with complicated construction), we still cannot get a dependable seconds at six Daytona, a watch that has been replicated for years and years <_< .

So, if the folks that can make it happen see this, let me say this. You don't need to purchase a genuine to reproduce this one, you got the look down just fine. Even though the case is too thick, we realize that is a constraint of the movement itself, other than that, todays modern Daytonas are scary close to the real deal. What we are asking is to please have the movement constructed so that it is not a time bomb. Remember those thousands of people who would beat a path to your door for a dependable Daytona or IWC Portu.? Something to think about...

Cheers B)

Maybe it is old stock?

The one you got Francisco, it looks like the old Daytona, the subdial treatment is different from the new ones offered at Trusty's and Joshua's site.

I hope that's the situation, and thanks much for all your work on this.

No, Joshua told me before shipping that old stock was sold out.

There are some problem with the pictures...too much bandwith... :rolleyes:

I will solve it today.

Francisco.

This text is taken FROM PORTUGUESE DESCRIPTION:

Asian 7750 Valjoux Working Chronograph movement, 28800 bph, New Improved 29J Version

The additional jewels are not in the seconds transfer in the Daytona model. Well, only one in the seconds output. Therefore... has the Portuguese more jewels for the seconds transfer? Because there is no minute and hour transfer in the Portuguese.

So following the description ...the Portuguese has additonal jewels for the seconds transfer. 4 jewels. Therefore, the Portuguese is a very good movement :rolleyes:

I will receive one Portuguese to be analyzed.

Francisco.

As all other members: Thanks a lot Francisco :thumbsupsmileyanim:

It's probably one the best thread ever in the sense it saves the community to buy BS. :shock:

Now, I wouldn't be too prompt to say it's the dealers who are the first responsible for that...more the factories selling BS to the dealers that resell the BS to us.

Therefor dealers should verify what they tell us; we will allways call them out as there will allways be a Francisco to help the community.

Thanks again,

Stephane

This review is yet another example why RWG is so awesome.

Only TimeZone in the gen watch world compares... thank you for this amazing & simple-to-understand article Fransisco!

PS: I will add this article link to the pinned Daytona Seconds at'6 FAQ, that's stickied.

This is why we need more people need to become RWG SUPPORTERS!!! Francisco's excellent work here saved many members a lot of money.... hats off to you sir!!!

I see Josh is reading this thread right now... I wonder if he'll chime in....

Thank you Franciso, I cant see the pics at work but you have identified a great problem. This post should be pinned for all to see, i also wait with antisipation on Joshes responce

Well Josh? We're waiting! The LWLs appear to be geting bigger by the day and not just from the cartel I must say.

Thanks Francisco for the hard work you have put in here to expose yet another one. Depressing ain't it?

I belive that one of the problems with geting this MVT right is that the sec@6 module is not made by the factory makeing the MVT itself but by a third party who just don't care who bad it is. The base MVT in almost all our chrono reps is a Liaoning however they do not make the sec@6 module. The source of the module is unknown (anyone?).

For a slightly different take on the inherent problems of this MVT have a looky HERE and part 2 HERE Note I said different, not right, not wrong. I don't know near enough about this MVT to pass judgment. I would like coment from those who do however.

Regards, Col.

Joshua on RepGeek - Yesterday, 07:06 PM :

Jos nana - Yesterday, 07:06 PM

How many jewels are there in total ? 29

Are there changes compared to the earlier movt ? Yes.

Improved ? Maker claim that their overall rate of movt rejects during installation has lowered significantly. I did a practical test of a IWC portugese movt.. Same principles as this daytona movt and found that indeed it is stable.

This is based on data at my ends. The movt spec details.. I add on to my website to provide more info to the end user. I did not charge a premium price to it. Price of my watches remians the same.

My description definitely fits what I have claimed and what is being supplied. How people wish to interpret it .. I have no control.

And please be more civil with remarks. At least I try my best to list as much info on my website.

Joshua

Again. Joshua says Portuguese and Daytona have the same number of jewels, 29. Just chek his webpage. Therefore:

Two only options:

1.- Portuguese has many jewels added for the seconds transfer, therefore, it is a very reliable movement.

2.- New Portuguese has skeleton gears like new Daytona, and has not 29j.

What do you think? ;)

Waiting for a Portuguese.

Francisco.