When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of the New 29j Daytona Movement

Again. Joshua says Portuguese and Daytona have the same number of jewels, 29. Just chek his webpage. Therefore:

Two only options:

1.- Portuguese has many jewels added for the seconds transfer, therefore, it is a very reliable movement.

2.- New Portuguese has skeleton gears like new Daytona, and has not 29j.

What do you think? ;)

Waiting for a Portuguese.

Francisco.

in all cases, they are time bombs...

Just to provide more info Francisco, I have been seeing the skeleton gears for a long time now, that's not new either.

RG

Yes, you are right.

In another forum a member has a second hand Daytona, bought before the new advertaisement, and has the same gears. Therefore, this movement is not new.

Francisco.

At least I try my best to list as much info on my website.

I don't think anyone debates that Josh. Just the veracity of said infomation!

So the consessis is that what we have is a new timebomb? Shurly it can't be that hard to get this jigger right? I'm not totaly convinced more jewels is the answer either. Considering these things usualy come dry could not more jewels actualy increse friction in the sec@6 train? A complete redesign would seem to be in order.

The Zigmeister: could you clear somthing up for me? Did the MVT have 29J to start with as AD stated a page or two back?

Col.

It strikes me as being a bit strange that Josh spoke up about the issue on RG but not here, I wonder why?

Fransisco, was the movement oiled (ie the transfer gears) or was it dry, as in the past to provide less stiction?

All the modification is dry and is better dry than oiled. A friend of mine, the owner of the "old" movement shown in the pictures, tried oil lubrication, different oils, with no success. Oil sticks the gearss over the surface.

Francisco.

Interesting read.... As far as i am aware the new improved movement is only installed in the 2008 basel editon daytona's, and yet to be installed on the older type models.

I noticed your one is the older style daytona.

I understand you were told the new movement is installed on this by a dealer... but i think its worth analysing a 2008 basel edition or an IWC Portuguese before discarding this movement.

Interesting read.... As far as i am aware the new improved movement is only installed in the 2008 basel editon daytona's, and yet to be installed on the older type models.

I understand you were told the new movement is installed on this by a dealer... but i think its worth analysing a 2008 basel edition or an IWC Portuguese before discarding this movement.

I hope you are right PT, I so want you to be right :lol:

This watch is sold saying that has the new movement. I really do not believe that other models have a better movement. Josh specifically told me that old stock of this model was sold out.

This is a picture of what I bought.

daytonatimoxw8.jpg

And now you are saying that perhaps other models have the new movement. OK. So you, as a dealer, open a watch, and show us the movement Do something for the forum. Not just giving here some useless hopes.

Sorry, friend, but I do not want to be scammed again. Now it is your turn, open another Daytona for us.

And do not worry, I am going to analyze the Portuguese of a member.

Francisco.

Bearing in mind that PT is not offering this watch for sale anywhere, I don't think he needs to do anything else, that job would be for the dealers are listing this watch for sale with the updated movement ;)

He is free to state his opinion, just like every other forum member can do. The fact that he has been told the movement is only installed in the latest Basel 2008 Daytona could very well be true, we will have to wait and see ^_^

He is not stating that he knows this as a fact either, he is just sharing what info he has, don't jump on him for doing that :)

Thank you AD. Trying to find the post would have been a needle in a haystack job.

It strikes me as being a bit strange that Josh spoke up about the issue on RG but not here, I wonder why?

Why? 'cause over there any real harsh comment may vanish into the matrix. Here that would not happen unles it was totaly OTT. Even then it would just get a warning and cavet attached. Free speach is good mmkay? His silence leads me to belive he has no comeback.

Josh: You have (mostly) great watches, great priceing and reasonable ASS so why do you insist on blowing it by telling LWL after LWL? You were once the dealer of choice for almost every person on the boards so why spoil it by spouting BS so deep you need wings to stay above it? It shows an almost total lack of respect for your clientel and respect my friend is so important when dealing with someone we have almost no comeback with when things go badly wrong. If you do not show respect for us how can we trust you with our hard earned dollars? How many nice houses, cars ect have the members of the various fora bought you in the last few years? Yet you treat us with total distain by treating us as if we are fools who will belive anything you say. No more my friend. I think you have realy blowen it this time and that sadens me as we could benifit greatly by an open and honest approach to the tru nature of what it is you are selling. The stupid thing is you have enough clout to enshure this problem was fixed properly but apperantly can't be bothered to do so and that is a damn shame for all concerned.

I strongly belive that as a result your (you and Andrew) days as a dealer of choice with anyone on the boards are numbered. Hope theres enough trade at RG to keep ypou going. After all, your never going to get kicked from there are you?

PT: Waiting. Pics of this "new" MVT please!

Col.

Bearing in mind that PT is not offering this watch for sale anywhere, I don't think he needs to do anything else, that job would be for the dealers are listing this watch for sale with the updated movement ;)

He is free to state his opinion, just like every other forum member can do. The fact that he has been told the movement is only installed in the latest Basel 2008 Daytona could very well be true, we will have to wait and see ^_^

He is not stating that he knows this as a fact either, he is just sharing what info he has, don't jump on him for doing that :)

Yes, my words seem too hard. :unsure:

But I am a bit tired of possible improvements, possible new models, perhaps the other models....

Facts, please.

Francisco.

This watch is sold saying that has the new movement. I really do not believe that other models have a better movement. Josh specifically told me that old stock of this model was sold out.

This is a picture of what I bought.

daytonatimoxw8.jpg

And now you are saying that perhaps other models have the new movement. OK. So you, as a dealer, open a watch, and show us the movement Do something for the forum. Not just giving here some useless hopes.

Sorry, friend, but I do not want to be scammed again. Now it is your turn, open another Daytona for us.

And do not worry, I am going to analyze the Portuguese of a member.

Francisco.

I think is the turn of Joshua and Andrew to disasseble these watches for show us where is the improvements... they advertise this product, it makes no sense to attack those who do not sell this rep

The above comment i made was a "comment" not a fact.

I am as much interested as you are about this movement. I hardly sell daytona's because of the failure rate of this movement.

I am yet to stock this product. As i too would like to hear about the changes in movement which is what attracted me to your post.

Please note i have no major watch repair skills.. so asking me to take apart a movement is something i am unable to do. If i had the knoweledge on how to do this, beleive me i would do it first thing to show any possible improvements on this piece.

I merely commented on your review to say when i asked about this movement in the older style daytona, i was told it was not ready yet.

I am not saying the movement is not the claimed improved 29jewel movement... all i am saying is i would be interest to see the 2008 basal models disassembled to check if it is the same, based on what i was told a couple of weeks back.

If it is the same.. then fair dues.... you have an excellant review which has helped me and a lot of other members. I do not like to buy dead stock.. hence why this review is as important to me as it is to you.

Remember i am not selling or advertising any of these just yet... I am contributing to this thread, so we can compile an accurate review of this movement for all members knowledge.

Please do not jump on me for merely making a comment. It is the sole reason why many dealers like me choose not to participate in user threads and only post in our own sections. When we do participate somehow we automatically become a target.

Edited by Precious Time aka PT

all i am saying is i would be interest to see the 2008 basal models disassembled to check if it is the same, based on what i was told a couple of weeks back.

@PT could share with us exactly what the factory says of this 29J movement? and You can get pictures from manufacturers of this so called "new 29J"?

The above comment i made was a "comment" not a fact.

I am as much interested as you are about this movement. I hardly sell daytona's because of the failure rate of this movement.

I am yet to stock this product. As i too would like to hear about the changes in movement which is what attracted me to your post.

Please note i have no major watch repair skills.. so asking me to take apart a movement is something i am unable to do. If i had the knoweledge on how to do this, beleive me i would do it first thing to show any possible improvements on this piece.

I merely commented on your review to say when i asked about this movement in the older style daytona, i was told it was not ready yet.

I am not saying the movement is not the claimed improved 29jewel movement... all i am saying is i would be interest to see the 2008 basal models disassembled to check if it is the same, based on what i was told a couple of weeks back.

If it is the same.. then fair dues.... you have an excellant review which has helped me and a lot of other members. I do not like to buy dead stock.. hence why this review is as important to me as it is to you.

Remember i am not selling or advertising any of these just yet... I am contributing to this thread, so we can compile an accurate review of this movement for all members knowledge.

Please do not jump on me for merely making a comment. It is the sole reason why many dealers like me choose not to participate in user threads and only post in our own sections. When we do participate somehow we automatically become a target.

Ok. I understand your position. I recognize my words were hard.

I have contacted Josh and he permits me to send the watch back if I want. He did not give the option about replacement the movement or possible change of model. Therefore, I assume that this is the movement "new improved 29j" as it is written in the description shown before.

No hope. that's all.

I received a very new Portuguese some days ago. I opened it and I found that the movemennt was the same, like old models. I did not post the results, because there was a chance that this is not the Portuguese that Josh is selling. A small chance... but enough for me to not publish the results. Now another Portuguese, this time bought from Josh will be sent to me. And it can be proved that comes from Josh and advertized as 29j movement.

I will publish the results here. Hopefully this time the review will show a better movement. If not, there will be no doubt, as I think there is no doubt here. Hopefully I am wrong... hopefully you are right.

Regards,

Francisco.