When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Has anyone bought any Rep Pens ?

Doddsy

I have a couple of nice Rep watches (Rolex Submariner and Tag Aquaracer) and thought to add to this a nice pen would add the finishing touch.

I know its a bit off the subject of Watches but has anyone bought any Rep pens from Josh or anywhere else ??

I was about to ask this same question but you beat me to the punch.

I own a number of fountain pens of various make (OMAS, Pelikan, Visconti) but no reps. I have enough trouble with leaks and spills with the genuine article. :p

I don't really like any of the models on Josh's site and I doubt there's a large enough market for reps of anything but the very largest brands (like Montblanc or Cartier).

If all you're looking for is a decent Montblanc Rollerball rep, the pics on Josh's site look OK.

Keep in mind that a good (not super high-end, but very good) gen pen can be had for under $100 and some real beauties for a few $$ more.

Colorado Pen Direct has a good selection and there are bargains to be had...I have no affiliation with Colorado Pen Direct and I received no compensation for this plug, I've just bought a couple of things from them. :-)

Hope this helps,

Tony.

I bought a Mont Blanc Starwalker, fineliner and fitted it with a genuine refill. I had to enlarge the hole at the tip fractionally and the genuine refill is now a good fit. While I was initially impressed with the pen the refill dries out quickly, indicating that the cap is not fully airtight. The case is a good replica of the gen but the quality is simply not there and the finish soon fades. I won't buy another as I really prefer something like a LAMY instead. These are good quality, reasonably exclusive and IMO a better alternative. I suppose the same could be said of watches if I am really honest.

I have a MB fountain on the way from Josh. I'll let you know how it turns out.

The bar is not that high really, my gen $350 USD pelican fountain still leaks and gets ink all over my hands. But that's not the point of course. Fountain pens are like fine mechanical movements, whereas rollerballs are japanese quartz. I'm proud to use it at all my conference room meetings, etc., messy fingers be damned.

The rep pens are OK, not great in terms of finish and weight.

I recently carefully reamed out the tip of a rep pen, unfortunately the gen refill did not have enough threads to screw down and stick out thru the tip, that was a waste of time.

I don't like the generic refills, they don't write well.

So, I may be done with rep pens, not worth the bother.

I'm going to buy a Laban Mento fountain pen, on eBay for $100, it's gotten superb reviews.

Of course on the flip side I have 3 rep pens and I haven't any real complaints with any of them.

I note where rek001 tried reaming out the tip of a pen, this was one method suggested at one time another is very simple, I have been told a Parker refill would fit quite nicely.

Ken

having had a couple of rep MB's, I can say they were average at best. For the money there are other pens out there that are very nice, and well made. I have a picasso which is very nice, and probably cost just over half what the MB did, and although it is Chinese, it is not a rep, and hence there are quality controls in place.

You're all so lazy ;)

Review MB Starwalker:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...mp;#entry367130

How you can make gen refills fit:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...t=0#entry370050

Let me tell you that after I fitted my rep MB with a gen refill there is absolutely no reason to buy a genuine MB anymore. I find the overal quality and finish of my rep excellent. Off course there are a variaty of rep MB pens makes out there so surely it depends on the source. Try Narikaa, he never disappointed me.

I have bought a MB and a Cartier pen from Josh, I think they are great to the price, you can use them without caring too much.

I use them everywhere - should I loose one I have not lost a fortune.

They write perfectly.

All the best

Eskild :D

I have bought a MB and a Cartier pen from Josh, I think they are great to the price, you can use them without caring too much.

I use them everywhere - should I loose one I have not lost a fortune.

They write perfectly.

All the best

Eskild :D

i have bought several reps MB and Cartier from Josh and Andrew.they were huge and very false looking so i gave them to my kids!

if you want good looking and quality items buy gen Waterman,Lamy or Cross.they are not expensive, especially for Rollerballs.

I was given a Montegrappa silver fountain pen some years ago by my wife. they cost over

yes I have purchased many. My advice to you:

1. Stay away from replica fountain pens. They are garbage and do not work. If you want a MB fountain then get GEN.

2. Do not spend more than $30 on a fake pen.

3. The Imperial Dragon Rollerball has surprisingly long-lasting gold applique

4. The Starwalker is a very good (and affordable) rep.

If you do decide on a rep pen then i believe narikaa has a very wide selection.

Ken

I can only comment on the quality of his old ones, and to be honest, they were really really bad. They didnt take genuine refills, the refills that were included were not usable (dryed out), the metall was brass and the coating screatched very easily (exposing the brass), certain parts where out of cheap plastic instead of metal, and so on...

Its not easy to find a good, quality MB rep pen!

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't looked for one in a while, but I did find these after reading another thread that referred to the site I found these on. I haven't compared these to original, but on the face they look pretty good to me...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

reposted PS adjusted pics for better viewing

www.tt88time.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=222

Actually avoid the starwalker, even the best version of the rep is a horrible copy contrary to what some people on here say. I just did a detailed review of the authentic pen next to the rep here : http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=50095

As you can see they look actually nothing alike, there are some major tells even from a distance and even more up close.

• 1 month later...