When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How To: Removing "permanent" Links From An Oyster Bracelet

watchgrl

So, how do you remove more links from an oyster bracelet even AFTER all the “removable” links have been removed?

I am a woman who likes large watches. Even after all the links have been removed, the watch is too large and --more importantly-- the clasp doesn’t sit correctly under my wrist. I learned how to do this from a Rol*x AD, and have done it to my own watches ever since. This procedure is permanent, but it is a nice alternative to an improperly fitting watch.

BTW, thanks to El for a wonderful Explorer. I wore it into an AD yesterday and I’ll be dammed if I could see the differences between the rep and the gen.

1. Open the bracelet and lay the watch flat. You will see the Oyster bracelet has 3 sections. We are going to force these sections apart in order to see (and remove) the pin. Please note: this will permanently damage and remove this link!!!

2. With vice grips securely holding one side of the link, take a bolt cutter (however, heavy duty wire cutters will also work) and line it up with the junction of the 2 pieces you want to separate. Lightly wiggle and squeeze to get the bolt cutter tip to start separating the links. Do this on both junctions.

post-2057-1153882127_thumb.jpg

post-2057-1153882214_thumb.jpg

As you can see, the link to be removed is permanently damaged.

post-2057-1153882226_thumb.jpg

3. Grab a separated link with a vice grip. Hold—don’t crush—the link. Use another vice grip to hold—not crush—the other outside link. Gently wiggle the vice grips while separating the 2 outside links from the center link. Pull apart.

post-2057-1153882238_thumb.jpg

post-2057-1153882283_thumb.jpg

Here is the removed link

post-2057-1153882321_thumb.jpg

4. Reattach bracelet. This does change the perfect taper, but it is less noticeable in person than it is in the picture.

post-2057-1153882333_thumb.jpg

5. The result is a properly fitted watch! Easy!

post-2057-1153882389_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nice work! I've done similar procedures using a razor blade to wedge between the links to seperate them. It takes a little longer (okay, it probably takes a lot longer), but may be less damaging than the vice grips. Just a lot more trying on the patience (namely, mine) :)

Regardless, great work!

BTW, thanks to El for a wonderful Explorer. I wore it into an AD yesterday and I’ll be dammed if I could see the differences between the rep and the gen.

I don't think so.....!

1. The case is the wrong shape.

2. The 3 / 6 / 9 indices are TOTALLY wrong.

3. The dial printing is way off.

4. The hour hand is too short.

5. The minute hand is too long.

6. The seconds hand is waaayyy too long.

Everything is WRONG about this watch.

Just my wee joke...............winding you up.........very nice watch.....I hope you enjoy it........:lol:

Edited by TTK

I don't think so.....!

1. The case is the wrong shape.

2. The 3 / 6 / 9 indices are TOTALLY wrong.

3. The dial printing is way off.

4. The hour hand is too short.

5. The minute hand is too long.

6. The seconds hand is waaayyy too long.

Everything is WRONG about this watch.

Just my wee joke...............winding you up.........very nice watch.....I hope you enjoy it........:lol:

And here I was thinking, "what have you been smoking?" ;)

very interesting post. i have a (rusted out movement) genuine rolex that i am going to be turning into a frankenwatch one day for my wife (see pictures below). she doesn't really want it ... but she's getting it! anyway, i was doing the same thing just the other night. only difference is the watch was a datejust with a jubilee bracelet. luckily for me, the watch fit her on the smallest possible size fitting with screws. i am curious to know if this could be done with the jubilee bracelet as well. if so, i might try it because the clasp could be a little better positioned for her. thanks for the tutorial. big watches on girls is hot! watchgrl, you need to get a pam 049 now. that will be another purchase for my wife that she doe not want. lol. i love it.

very interesting post. i have a (rusted out movement) genuine rolex that i am going to be turning into a frankenwatch one day for my wife (see pictures below). she doesn't really want it ... but she's getting it! anyway, i was doing the same thing just the other night. only difference is the watch was a datejust with a jubilee bracelet. luckily for me, the watch fit her on the smallest possible size fitting with screws. i am curious to know if this could be done with the jubilee bracelet as well. if so, i might try it because the clasp could be a little better positioned for her. thanks for the tutorial. big watches on girls is hot! watchgrl, you need to get a pam 049 now. that will be another purchase for my wife that she doe not want. lol. i love it.

nice DJ i would restore that watch 100% ! :wub:

maybe The Zigmeister can help you ..

I would be willing to bet the process to snap a jubilee bracelet is the same as the oyster bracelet. Let us know how it goes! In order for the clasp of a large watch to fit on my tiny wrist, the bracelet has to be short on the 6 side.

I had a gen 49 for a few months, but I traded it for a gen ExpII. I really want a Daytona (waiting for a good one :whistling: ) as my next large watch. I am thoroughly enjoying my ExpI and would love to source a gen bracelet and dial to "finish it off".

• 11 years later...