When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

tourbillion reliability

zesh

Hi

I was going to look to buy one of the beauties from homer. A tourbillion. My question is that is it reliable?

I have a guarantee buy what experiences have your guys had with these movements.

It is a pricey watch so i would like some peace of mind that it would break down or lose accuracy within a couple months.

I've good experiences with my rolex movements and unitas from panerai. But the tourby is more expensive.

Can anyone input

Thanks

I've never had an issue and I've owned three...generally they run within 2-10 seconds per day...my watchmaker adjusted my latest one and it easily meets COSC..especially (and as expected) when it's in the crown up/crown down position...I've banged my latest one on the doorjamb quite a few times by accident and scooting around people at parties/ at bars and have never had an issue... the Tourbillon mechanism appears to be very well manufactured and quite robust but that's just my opinion.

So does anyone except king and homer have any tourbies?

I love the double tourbillion but is there anyone who can get one for a good price? seagull want like 3k for one i think.

I think it will be my next purchase as they are truly understated, but show a real passion for a good time piece.

2 years with an asian Seagull movement tourbillon, no problems.

The Million Smarts sold by Homer use the Liaoning 5010 as the base MVT not the Sea-Gull ST80.

Tho a cheaper MVT there is nothing wrong with the 5010. It is a reliable MVT and spares are redialy available inc thru Homer himself. Homer can also service and repair these MVTs.

The ST80 is a more expensive MVT and more acurate however the 5010 can still be regulated to within COSOC, the ST80 to well within and the Beijing Watch Factory TB01-2 is reputed to approch some Euro Tourbys in accuracy.

Here are the basics on current China Tourby production.

Current Chinese Developments Beijing TB01-2 In 2000, the Beijing Watch Factory revisited the tourbillon concept and reworked it for limited production. The result was the TB01-2 flying carrousel-tourbillon, currently the most expensive production Chinese tourbillon on the market. It features a titanium flying tourbillon cage, and is usually elaborately decorated on both dial and movement. Beijing have also developed a double-tourbillon.

Liaoning 5010 Costing much less and thus reaching a much wider market, this calibre has enjoyed great success cased-up by http://www.tractionink.com/watch_wiki/inde...art_EnterprisesMillion Smart Enterprises for a variety of new international brands.

Shanghai The Shanghai Watch Industry Corporation launched their Classic Tourbillon as an exclusive Shanghai-branded product only, however they have since followed the trend and offered this somewhat expensive movement for sale to other watch companies. Returning to Breguet's original idea, this movement features a large balance-wheel on a common axis to the tourbillon cage. In 2007 Shanghai revealed their amazing Orbital Tourbillon, which features either one or two tourbillons mounted on a 12-hour carrousel platform.

PTS Resources FD-3032 This was the first Chinese tourbillon to be reviewed online. Clearly built to a budget, and featuring components from the humble Standard movement, it is nonetheless as impressive as any tourbillon that actually works. In 2007 PTS presented a prototype '12 Hour Karrousel' movement of unusual design and much higher grade.

Sea-Gull ST80 Most Chinese tourbillons owe something to the Blancpain flying carrousel-tourbillon design, but this is the one with the closest physical resemblance. Of higher quality than all but the TB01-2, the ST80 is still ery competitively priced. The newer ST82 features a common axis tourbillon similar to the Shanghai. Auto-winding is now available on both. In 2006 Sea-Gull released their ST8080 double tourbillon withone carrousel-tourbillon and one common axis.

Dixmont DG-8000 A latecomer to the field, Dixmont-Guangzhou have focussed on auto-winding on their tourbillons. The escapement appears so similar to that of the ST80 that it is likely that they buy Sea-Gull parts for their movements. The DG-8001 is similar but with a common-axis tourbillon.

Regards, Col.

Col. is correct regarding the Homer Tourbillon. In my case, I have the full skeleton tourbillon with the Seagull ST80 flying duck. So how do you tell which you have? The ST80 looks very similar to the Blancpain design with a "flying duck" while the Liaong 5010 is the 4 screw design.

ST80

timeworksonline_2011_22866767.gif

Liaong 5010

z_0391.jpg

• 5 months later...
The Million Smarts sold by Homer use the Liaoning 5010 as the base MVT not the Sea-Gull ST80.

Tho a cheaper MVT there is nothing wrong with the 5010. It is a reliable MVT and spares are redialy available inc thru Homer himself. Homer can also service and repair these MVTs.

The ST80 is a more expensive MVT and more acurate however the 5010 can still be regulated to within COSOC, the ST80 to well within and the Beijing Watch Factory TB01-2 is reputed to approch some Euro Tourbys in accuracy.

Here are the basics on current China Tourby production.

Current Chinese Developments Beijing TB01-2 In 2000, the Beijing Watch Factory revisited the tourbillon concept and reworked it for limited production. The result was the TB01-2 flying carrousel-tourbillon, currently the most expensive production Chinese tourbillon on the market. It features a titanium flying tourbillon cage, and is usually elaborately decorated on both dial and movement. Beijing have also developed a double-tourbillon.

Liaoning 5010 Costing much less and thus reaching a much wider market, this calibre has enjoyed great success cased-up by http://www.tractionink.com/watch_wiki/inde...art_EnterprisesMillion Smart Enterprises for a variety of new international brands.

Shanghai The Shanghai Watch Industry Corporation launched their Classic Tourbillon as an exclusive Shanghai-branded product only, however they have since followed the trend and offered this somewhat expensive movement for sale to other watch companies. Returning to Breguet's original idea, this movement features a large balance-wheel on a common axis to the tourbillon cage. In 2007 Shanghai revealed their amazing Orbital Tourbillon, which features either one or two tourbillons mounted on a 12-hour carrousel platform.

PTS Resources FD-3032 This was the first Chinese tourbillon to be reviewed online. Clearly built to a budget, and featuring components from the humble Standard movement, it is nonetheless as impressive as any tourbillon that actually works. In 2007 PTS presented a prototype '12 Hour Karrousel' movement of unusual design and much higher grade.

Sea-Gull ST80 Most Chinese tourbillons owe something to the Blancpain flying carrousel-tourbillon design, but this is the one with the closest physical resemblance. Of higher quality than all but the TB01-2, the ST80 is still ery competitively priced. The newer ST82 features a common axis tourbillon similar to the Shanghai. Auto-winding is now available on both. In 2006 Sea-Gull released their ST8080 double tourbillon withone carrousel-tourbillon and one common axis.

Dixmont DG-8000 A latecomer to the field, Dixmont-Guangzhou have focussed on auto-winding on their tourbillons. The escapement appears so similar to that of the ST80 that it is likely that they buy Sea-Gull parts for their movements. The DG-8001 is similar but with a common-axis tourbillon.

Regards, Col.

Where can I get the Beijing TB01-2 watch?? Pics?? Thanks...

Good question, I'm not sure anyone can answer.

I've only seen pics of a double tourbillon but if i could get my hands on one then its mine.

I've been told that it will take a week for me to receive my watch. so i'll put some pics up.