When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Minute Repeater

b16a2

Untitled-1copy.jpg

Over the years of collecting watches, IWC has become a firm favourite in my choice of brands. When the cartel released the IWC minute repeater I tried to source it by other means. Unfortunately the wrong model was sourced, but I had already part written the review. So instead of letting it go to waste, here is my review of the IWC Minute Repeater through use of internet pictures.

History

The first Minute Repeater (hereinafter referred to as MR) was introduced in 1995. The mechanism was the result of 50,000 man hours. MRs are unique in their design as they notify the wearer of the time by emitting various sounds on an internal gong. This was particularly useful in the age where electric light was not available, and so this made telling the time at night possible.

When the slide is at its lowest position it emits pure tones to represent the time. When the repeater is at the top (depressed) it is ready for action. The mechanism is designed such that it always keeps up with the correct time, so it will instantly chime the correct time when the MR slide is activated.

OldMR.jpg

Then in 2007 the newer version of the MR was released. The diameter of the case increased 1mm to 43 mm, the original weighing in at 42mm. The overall look of the watch is similar in design, only with little changes to give it a more modern look, without losing its class and elegance.

IWC_5242_04_00.jpg

The 3714

Great review - thanks!

I've been wearing the Portuguese chrono on and off for a couple of years now - been lucky enough to have one where the movement appears to still be intact - but have been considering one of these as a "dress" watch (normally a Seadweller/Cousteau/BP/GMT/DSSD type person).

Tempted - as you say for $98 seems like a bargain!

Great review!

Seems like a dumb question but does the MR function work on the replica?

No, the slide on the side is fixed as a decoration only. If the Chinese were to ever replicate a minute repeater mechanism in a 98USD rep, I think many watch companies would go out of business :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...