When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

the Supreme Reign of the White Anglo Protestant is over in the US

fotoman

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is interesting is that the UK is years behind the US in terms of having someone like Obama in high office'

From my perspective and I think, the majority of the UK are as excited as the US about the new president. There is a feeling of real optimism, believing he can turn things round. Undoubtedly Obama is tremendously charismatic, which is something in the UK that we are missing from our leader!

Exciting times!

I feel blessed to have been born and raised not knowing or being taught discrimination toward any race .. my first taste of discrimination was when I went away to College .. it was shocking to say the least,.. having been raised not knowing it in any way shape or form.

Hmmmm, I think that is a stretch. Unless you were raised in an enclave on another island other than Oahu. My fiancee` and I visited my brother, in the Marine Corps, Kaneohe, in '87. The usual tour, Waikiki, Diamond Head, Hanauma Bay, Pali ladder, Paniolo Cafe for a rattlesnake burger, North Shore the usual. Then we made the mistake of visiting a waterfall on the North Side, wish I could be more specific, but it was 'local' and had a beautiful swimming pool beneath. We got looks, but were with the Marines. What could go wrong?

There was one local throwing a tennis ball to his Golden Retriever. The dog was smart. But not smart enough I guess. When he would miss a toss the owner would full frontal punch the dog in the chops. After about ten minutes of this my fiancee' had had about enough and called him out to stop. Without a second's hesitation the Hawaiian jumped into the pool, swam across and got up into my face as it was obvious who the girl was with. I remember a lot of derogatory remarks I didn't understand, then HOWLIE!, the sound of a light bulb breaking and I was out. I came around being dragged down the path by bloodied Marines.

So yeah, I dunno bra', this WASP sure as hell knows what it's like to be a "N" in Oahu. Then there was the time I was the "N" in Thailand. But that's another story. Maybe the Thais don't think racism exists in Thailand either. According to official position, neither does AIDS.

Anyhoo, I came away from both those experiences with a little better understanding for my Cuban friends. The kids are alright.

Hopefully someday all men can look at one another and see not skin tone nor religion nor culture but values and character .. when that day comes we will all be free .. then and only then will "FREEDOM RING" .... as MLK said in his famous speech

That's beautiful, if only a little trite and perhaps a little late?. It would have meant more in a post yesterday.

Cheers!

Nah... Partisans would say something like, "DOW 7949: Change we can believe in." :lol:

Ow, it only hurts when I laugh.

Worst inaugural slide in the history of the DOW. I thought Obama was elected largely on his Economic policy platform in the face of recession? The 'world' didn't seem to think so either. Couldn't have been anything else. Right? Like ummmm, un-informed base?

I think before this all turns around, this Conservative will be longing for the Clinton years. Now THAT is 'change'. Ow it hurts.

Edited by Demsey

I was raised without prejudice and in Texas of all places...so I leave you with the words of Nigel Powers father of Austin

"There are only two things I cant stand in this world

people who are intolerant of other cultures.......and the Dutch" :D:D

Happy Tuesday!

i don't get into the political crap anymore on the forums.

I will just simply say, just about everyone that commented was wrong and i highly recommend that right wingers start listening to something other than Fox news and Rush limbaugh, you may wake up to realize your not living in the same america as the rest of us.

if you didn't think a black person would have any issues becoming president, you don't understand the nature of the mindset of the US.

all of what i say is independently verifiable 1. read polling related to obama, does not match rhetoric of the right. 2. read the reactions to those who have been around and have tremendous perspective and you will understand the significance of a black president.

Corgi man, you aren't even on planet earth with your views - he didn't get elected cause he was a celebrity - -although he is a celebrity because he got elected. You will be amazed to find out, that he is nothing like the character that the right have concocted.

in 2004, the country was with bush, many liberals couldn't understand, the country is now with obama, many conservatives just won't understand.

no matter what and no matter where you are in the world, you all need him to succeed - or were all in deep [censored]

Well for this conservative, the Clinton years were among my best financially cool.gif

Indeed...viva Clinton!

Dluddy... you might be one of the like..50 conservatives in the state of MA haha...

I will just simply say, just about everyone that commented was wrong and i highly recommend that right wingers start listening to something other than Fox news and Rush limbaugh, you may wake up to realize your not living in the same america as the rest of us.

Hate Fox, am not a "right-winger" because I'm not silly enough to unilaterally align myself with any one party however I wouldn't say that everyone who commented was "wrong" - especially since many comments were opinions... I thought the whole point of Obama's presidency was overcoming injustice, intolerance, etc.

The title of this thread says it all. Pho, I think it is you who doesn't understand the mindset of America. I suppose if Obama isn't elected in 2012 you'll expect a thread entitled "The Supreme Reign of the Black African XXX is over in the US" from a Right Winger? Don't count on it.

I thought Obama was elected largely on his Economic policy platform in the face of recession?

Well in part he was, As I see it there are 4 distinct pieces to the puzzle of his election.

Part A: A voter base that thought he was going to tap Bill Gates' bank account and send them a check

Part B: ALOT of people believe anything that comes out of a famous entertainers mouth

Part C: The heard mentality, you usually find this in the young crowd(18-25) these days. They need so badly to be a part of something bigger than themselves that they will latch on to anything that makes them feel like part of the crowd. Most of them do not believe in their cause or do not know enough about it to make an informed decision but to feel like part of the crowd they will give it all they have.

Part D: The liberal media was able to sway the vots of those who preach politics from the one sided info they get from CNN.

Notice no where in the equation was his acctual ability, accomplishments, or proof there of that he is capable of the power we have given him.

Ted Kennedy - good senator, lousy date.

:lol:

no matter what and no matter where you are in the world, you all need him to succeed - or were all in deep shit

@Pho

Can't say that I even come close to agreeing with your politics...

But your above statement is spot on...

I'm prayin' he does...

Double T

Corgi man, you aren't even on planet earth with your views - he didn't get elected cause he was a celebrity - -although he is a celebrity because he got elected. You will be amazed to find out, that he is nothing like the character that the right have concocted.

While this will be my last post in this thread, having tried unsuccessfully to refrain from posting in the first place, I will simply say that Corgi is absolutely correct at least in his characterization (not necessarily in his prediction). For the political junkies such as myself, who followed this one very closely, what happened on November 4, 2008 was nothing short of a pop cultural coup d'

:lol:

@Pho

Can't say that I even come close to agreeing with your politics...

But your above statement is spot on...

I'm prayin' he does...

Double T

I've yet to hear a right winger praying for an Obama failure. A failure for Obama is a failure for America. I say give him a chance.

Presidential success is largely a lagging indicator, to use a trading term. In other words, by the time the efforts of a President trickle into success or failure in something or other, a considerable amount time has almost always elapsed. The very bureaucracy of Washington nearly guarantees it. This is true particularly with economic successes or failures. To that end it is absurd to think that any President is ever judged on a leading basis. And yet they are routinely. What is closer to the truth is that things are starting to catch up around the time a term is over, so what often happens is the new President is actually incorrectly evaluated on the efforts of the previous one and then the next guy ends up getting the credit (good or bad) for what the previous guy did. And yet people think that it is always the current leader who is creating the good or bad stuff "now". Maybe in dictatorships or monarchy to a lessor extent, but not in a totally democratic system to be sure. If Obama were to only have one term, it is likely that much of his success or failure will really be based on the success or failure of older stuff catching up to him and the new President after him will inherit his successes and failures.

Of course, even that conversation is moot, since the US Presidency is really an office of hope and feeling as opposed to one of concrete, verifiable success or failure in pretty much every social and economic issue. It is the machine with all its parts that creates the cause and effect in our lives and not the efforts of any one man - President or otherwise. However, it is interesting how the simple fact that the masses think he controls everything and is responsible for our destiny. It is fascinating to me how that whole phenomenon can actually produce positive and negative effects in the world, depite the fact that the office has little or nothing to do with whatever it is that is changing or where it comes from. One thing is for sure and that is that the entire world is obsessed with the American President and all it stands for. This is very interesting to more than a few political scholars since the design of the system he fits into should make for a far less powerful and instead a largely custodial role.

I've yet to hear a right winger praying for an Obama failure. A failure for Obama is a failure for America. I say give him a chance.

Just so there's no confusion on what I meant...

I'm prayin' that he's successful...

EXTREMELY successful...

TT