When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Serious Security Issue

TeeJay

I'm confused by the statement "someone has actually been trying to hack their computer through the forum, and has so far used seven IP variants."

I hope someone can explain the attack strategy and vectors in more detail.

As for compromising a paypal account, or any other account, for that matter, this seems like a separate type of attack. The first sounds like a denial of service attack. The second attack would be grabbing your credentials and impersonating you to steal your money. Both are serious business.

By the way, last year I got a mini-token generator at a trade fair and use it as added protection for my paypal account. I think the use of such devices and its successors will become common in the coming years.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm confused by the statement "someone has actually been trying to hack their computer through the forum, and has so far used seven IP variants."

I hope someone can explain the attack strategy and vectors in more detail.

As for compromising a paypal account, or any other account, for that matter, this seems like a separate type of attack. The first sounds like a denial of service attack. The second attack would be grabbing your credentials and impersonating you to steal your money. Both are serious business.

By the way, last year I got a mini-token generator at a trade fair and use it as added protection for my paypal account. I think the use of such devices and its successors will become common in the coming years.

As I said before, I am simply passing on precisely what the person wrote to me. I can't clarify what they meant, as I simply do not know, I am simply going by what they said :)

I use different names for paypal accounts and different passwords for everything.

As well, when I transfer money out of my paypal account, it takes a number of days, and added to that I only have one account linked to my paypal account. If anyone tried to change my bank account, not only would I know they were trying to change the account, it takes a number of days for the change and two deposits from PP to verify the new account.

Unless someone used the hacked account to actually pay for a purchase, but then it would be easy to see where the money went, and put a stop to it.

If I hacked into your account, you wouldn't be able to hack into it to see that I had depleted your account in the first place??? so how would you know that I had stolen your cash?

Sound confusing to me.

RG

A brief note to put people's minds at ease... so far there are no signs anything is amiss with the board and all digging we're doing is turning up nothing serious.

Research continues but at this time people can relax. If anything remotely strange comes up, immediate and dramatic steps will be taken.

The only thing running on the server was TwoTone, in his ballet slippers and tutu again.

Sheesh. We keep having to get him to climb down offa there. :bangin:

Well I'd say make it a "dry" forum and your problems with TT and Ken would be over but...hell, no one wants that! :drinks:

Well I'd say make it a "dry" forum and your problems with TT and Ken would be over but...hell, no one wants that! :drinks:

We got bigger problems than that. <_<

Cornerstone keeps dropping the soap in the office showers. :o

Ken :D

These are times that try the souls of even the most stalwart of men. Rest assured we will get to the bottom of this!

asshat.jpg

Agreed Ziggy...

I smell bullshit...

And a whole lot of over exaggeration and drama...

TT

+ 1 TT.

Credit cards, debit cards, PP, MB, whatever is money related leave traces and will be fixed anyway in favour of the owner of the money.

I had only one fraud debit on one my cards (in around 25 years) and it was credited back to me immediately by Visa ;)

Let me just say that whatever has happened to this member, it has not come from this forum. Our servers are very well protected and there is only 1 person with access to them, and thats me. Several different scans are performed every day to avoid anything to happen. (Rootkithunter, CHKROOTKIT, nobody-scan, etc)We have a solid brute-force protection system in place + anybody trying to get access to any vital areas and don't know the username/password, will be locked out by our firewall after 5 tries. Even if somebody should manage to get access to our system, it won't do them any good. All user passwords are MD5 encrypted. So let me just assure you that you are all safe when you do your daily surfing on RWG.

paying for intangible goods on the internet

paying for goods and trying to get them shipped to another delivery address

i'd imagine the user will be able to reverse the transactions - contact paypal asap !

As I mentioned in my post. every transaction can be traced. even if they try to have something shipped to another addres... there is a trail.

Agreed Ziggy...

I smell bullshit...

And a whole lot of over exaggeration and drama...

TT

Have to admit, I hadn't considered the point Ziggy made... As mentioned, I was only going on what I was told, and trying to warn other forum members if anything untoward might have been going on. Thanks for looking into it :)

Whoa!! Back up pardner!! :p

3 FACTS:

- It was you and Miss Understood that originally petitioned for a 'communal shower' whereas my proposal for private baths with prostitutes was dismissed as 'expensive, unworkable and contagious'.

- It's you that is in charge of the soap purchasing, and you buy 'Mr Slippy' every time, whereas I have repeatedly PM'd my preference for 'Iron Grip Dove' (I find it milder).

- While it's an undeniably tempting sight - you could resist occasionally you know!!!

:animal_rooster: