When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of Rolex Submariner WM9 v2

By-Tor

eVpsASn.jpg

Okay, here it is... the "Super Sub v2". Watchmaker9 and bklm1234 have squeezed out a remarkable 16610. Actually, the version 1 was the revolutionary one, which already took the 16610 to another level. Version 2 just improves the "missing bits". Personally, I think this is more like an "upgrade" rather than completely new watch.

People who currently own the v1 don't have to bury their head in the sand. It's still an excellent replication, fundamentally the same watch as this... and I don't think it's even necessary to upgrade unless you're a hardcore Rolex freak.

READ THE REVIEW OF WM9 version 1 HERE

I was more than satisfied with the v1, and I thought long and hard trading it and upgrading to v2. But at the end of the day I couldn't resist these small but extremely nice improved details that the v2 version carries.

7lK12gn.jpg

The most significant improvement on the v2 is the dial, which has gen-like superluminova hour indices. What I really liked about the v1 was the "Flat S", which represented rarer 16610 dial variation very nicely. Unfortunately the new WM9's come with standard S, which (of course) is just as accurate.

While the v1 dial was very good, I gotta admit the v2 dial is simply superb. The font looks excellent, even in the macro shots I've taken. WM9 v2's from bk have Clark Crystals, which fixes the oversized etched coronet problem. The date font and magnification are perfect.

NzFBuHm.jpg

I was really impressed when I put the watch side-by-side with my genuine Rolex GMT Master II. The luminous abilities are 100% identical. As you can see the (much improved) bezel pearl has been superlumed as well.

6ogYhRQ.jpg

The crown is a bit oversized, which (along with SELs that are only 95% correct) remain pretty much the only remaining flaws on the v2 (besides the vertical crown position). Coronet on the bracelet clasp is perfect as well, and the operation is sturdy and very gen-like. This was also the first Rolex replica (that I've seen) that has an extra link for gigantic wrists. I had to remove one link for my '8 wrist. Another upgraded detail is the hollow link bracelet (v1 had inaccurate solid middle links).

AyA2Ncu.jpg

The wrist presence is superb. It was actually superb in the v1 already, but the super luminova and improved pearl are something that a Rolex WIS will notice right away.

O6FDIk8.jpg

Magically, the WM9 reps seem to fix things that we have always complained about. Ubiquitous bought his Yacht-Master just recently, which is ridiculously better than any of the previous versions. I'm sure the upcoming Sea Dweller will be an instant smash hit as well. People have awaited for a good replication of the 16600 for years. All the previous Chinese replications have been very disappointing but now we at least have hope.

I haven't praised dealers a lot in my articles, because most of our sellers always have access to the same quality reps anyway. I'll make an exception with bklm1234, because he's not just a "dealer". These watches go through quality control and get even more additional improvements by him (like the Clark Crystal on my watch). BK has estabilished himself in all replica forums with his excellent communication, knowledge and superb products. If you're looking for a replica Rolex, don't even think about ordering from anyone else. BK can get the absolutely best reps of every modern Rolex model, including the legendary Noobfactory Explorer II's. I'm not recommending him because he's my friend or anything, just stating a fact here.

Without a doubt this is the best ever Rolex replica, and features like the super luminova dial must put make WM9v2 one the top-5 replicas ever released. I'm really happy with the watch and it finalizes my Rolex collection nicely.

"Who has the best Sub?" has always been the biggest cliché of the replica forums... a question that we never have been able to answer easily... a bit like Monty Python's "What's the meaning of life?" Now we finally we have an answer (for the first question).

Many thanks to my mate Watcher for the "delivery help". A great guy, great member, great WIS. I hope you all liked this review, it was a pleasure to write and photograph.

lLOcjNI.jpg

CLICK FOR WM9 WALLPAPER

REVIEW UPDATE MARCH, 2010
They eventually released a v3 version of the WM9 Sub. Is it even better? Community's premier 16610 expert Tribal thinks no. Read his thoughts from here.

REVIEW UPDATE AUGUST, 2012

Some new modifications to WM9.

• Like 3

Thanks guys.

HERE is quick and dirty gen vs. rep dial comparison (gen on the left). My photo has been taken from different angle.

ROLEX and "m" in 300m aren't perfect, but everything else is very close, even the coronet and the new style "S" in SUBMARINER... which mimics the D-serial Sub dial. Also the thicker, new D-serial dial print has been done nicely.

Thanks again, all.

So does the Clark crystal have the correct sized coronet etched into it? Or is there no coronet etching at all?

I don't know. I took some dial shots and the etching wasn't visible in any of them. It's possible that it actually IS there, I didn't even look for it. Personally, I don't really care either way... I'm just happy that the huge etching isn't there anymore (although it didn't really bother me a lot, either).

Great post, and a very expert ByTor

My answer: I have deceided to buy a Euro V4, sometime ago. To day I have seen your review and I have some dubts. Is Euro no confrontable to WM9 or is it in quality not identical but similar ?

WM has a price more high than Euro whit asian eta, but if the difference is great I buy WM, if is not great.................

So does the Clark crystal have the correct sized coronet etched into it? Or is there no coronet etching at all?

There is no etched Crown. Bk replaced the Glass because the Datemag is too low on the WM9.

George told me he will update the Crystal with better Mag.

If you need a etched Crown the best way is to order the watch with the build in Crystal and replace

the Cyclop.

Better way go for a gen Crystal ;)

• Like 1

thx by-tor for the excellent pics and review as always, and the high compliments. It means a lot to me.

The Clark crystal doesn't have any etched crown.

George promised to fix the cyclop mag. When it's fixed, I will go back to the wm9 crystal and offer the Clark crystal as a paid upgrade. Clark's advantage is it has the top edge rounded like gen. And if you don't like any etched crown on the crystal, Clark has that as an advantage too. wm9's etched crown is so much like gen. I was looking at a gen crystal the other day. I'd say the wm9 can easily pass as a gen as far as the etched crown. Faint and yet visible up close.

-bk

Thanks a lot for your time BT!

Now we know which route to follow to get the best Sub indeed.

Congrats to BK! Or, better thanks to BK! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

You will save a lot of money, time and energy to all the new Sub hunters.

I don't see the point to go for any other Sub from any other dealer, and God knows how much different versions there are :shock:

Cheers

Stephane

Thanks Gentlemen! :)

The small ladies' ETA / Seagull (whatever it is) seems to be an excellent timekeeper. +2 / 24h.

Does anyone remember what was the exact model number/name/type of this movement again?

Thanks Gentlemen! :)

The small ladies' ETA / Seagull (whatever it is) seems to be an excellent timekeeper. +2 / 24h.

Does anyone remember what was the exact model number/name/type of this movement again?

wasn't it ETA 2678?

excellent review By-Tor.

Not only extremely informative but also exceedingly generous.

Cheers!

I'm surprised about how unimportant people think the etched crown is on the crystal, I would have thought this was one of the very important things to have (and have correct) in a rep?

Probably because most etched crowns on reps have been oversized and god-awful. And keep in mind that lots of modern Submariners still don't have the etching, including the SEL ones. They only started using the etched crown in what... 2005 or so? 16610 had been unchanged for a LONG time until they started to put the rehaut engraving there.

There's no way to determine the age and serial of your watch without removing the bracelet, so with or without etching... it doesn't really matter (imho).