When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Yorkers? Canal St advice please

big0spin

Hi there.

I'm going to be in New York next (i'm travelling there for the 1st time next week from UK)

I'm really after some advice from any New Yorkers (or anyone who knows) is Canal Street worth a visit if you like reps

My girlfriend has been told that fake handbags are in abundance, but i've also seen it mentioned on here a fair bit

Any advice would be appreciated

thanks all

D

not worth it... its a different place lately. there was a HUGE crackdown a few years back.

you'll still find some rep handbags but most are of really low quality.

watches are more scarce. the ones in the shops are usually crap, like really crap.

there are a few street dealers that have cartel quality stuff. just know your prices and you can haggle them down to something decent... if you even find them as theyre not always around.

one main guy at the intersection of canal and lafayette.

I dont even bother anymore. honestly, if you're not already on your way down there for some dim sum, then don't waste your time.

the good quality reps are always in the back room of the store...whether it be bags, sunglasses, watches, etc.

so always ask if u can buy the 'good' stuff and if they think u aint a 5-0, then they will bring u to the back room and take out the stuff from the safe

I've been living in NYC for 20 years, 3 subway stops from Canal. I've been buying reps there for all 20 years, and been in the "back room" in multiple places, but I've never seen watches in the back, only bags, and not a single safe.

OP, as mentioned, there has been a major crackdown. It started with Rolexes. But within the past 2-3 months, you can't even buy a Panerai unless the cops are giving the dealers a day off. There are permanent police RVs and vans stationed up and down the block now. Entire swaths of dealers have been put out of business and their stores remain vacant.

There are some reps still available; Omegas, a smattering U-Boats and IWCs, plenty of B&Rs and Pateks, and some APs.

My feeling is the reps you can find there seem to fall into 3 categories...

1. Those brands which don't really feel the pinch of counterfeiting because their uber wealthy target market would never buy a rep, and the rep customer either could never afford, or simply wouldn't drop the coin on, the real thing, i.e. Patek, Vacheron, AP.

2. Those brands who have always seemed to do very little to quash the rep trade, almost as if to silently embrace the added brand recognition that reps can bring a watch company, regardless of the hit their already massive gen sales may take; like Tag and Omega.

3. Those brands who are just a bit too small and boutique to have enough global resources to do anything about the situation; IWC, Porsche Design, B&R, etc.

Just my theories.

One thing's for sure, stick to the north side of Canal. The south side is primarily junk. There's a young guy between B'Way and Lafayette, very friendly, not pushy at all, who sells some "Swiss" versions, literally on the top shelf. His prices on the lower shelf stuff are considerably cheaper than the online cartel prices and the quality is very similar if not identical.

Don't waste your time with the guys who carry briefcases. Stick to the shop fronts. And don't waste your time going anywhere with anyone who whispers "Rolex, Movado" as you pass by.

Edited by mcdj

its either 226 A or 228 A

they have a backroom, usually a kid in his 20's hanging out side on the sidewalk making sure people aren't stealing stuff. they have a great back room, great prices, medium to large bags for under 50 bucks.

Usually they won't let you in the backroom, they will asy ou want you want and they will go get it. I fight withhim everytime but eventually he takes me back.

This particular shop has a small wall that helps hide the door that is hidden at the back of the stoore so, if you can see straight back, its the other place.

watches - forget about ti

purses, you can find Great deals as opposed to whats aavail for mail order, i am assuing because of hte mail costs.

i have bought at least a dozen bags there, for the most part they have held up really well and proven very good

:)

no matter what tsore you hit, they will have a few fake bags, ask them for the good stuff, they will pull it out :)

• 4 years later...