When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My First Vintage - Cortebert 616 based 6152

fishgodeep

I hungered for a vintage Panerai having seen the amazing "works of art" posted on these boards over the years but as I seldom venture over 44mm for daily wear I never thought I would enjoy one on my wrist as much as the photos.

But my tastes in Panerai models was turning retrospectively more and more each day , pursuing the Pre-A and Pre-Vendome dials was my personal labour of love and I wanted to dip my toe into the vintage pool one day soon.

I had the idea of making a contribution to the hobby, kind of like taking a bottle to a party ....I didn't want to turn up empty handed, so I had the 1:1 GPF Mod Dep buckles made and worked with V to perfect these over a period of about 9 months. A very limited and one off production.

V has since made some superb straps and ensured that a good portion of these buckles ended up on vintage lovers wrists.

With my buckles , I sold/ traded /gave a few of these away and made some great friends and contacts which is where the incredible part of this story really begins for me.

RMcSherry - provided me with a fully working Cortebert 616 - which I believe had been re-furbished and repaired by Madasboot

R also gave me a case set , case back , hands, a beautiful aged brown MM dial, CG Madasboot Plexi - basically everything needed to build the perfect watch

Having attempted to "vintagise" a 3646 case previously and being disappointed with my own results - I knew this deserved the hands of an "artisan" to finish it to the standards I admired.

So I replied to a "WTB GPF Buckles" post on RG from Clint Eastwood and soon knew I had hit the jackpot !!

I sent all of the parts to Clint , who advised me on additional parts required and then proceeded to carry out the following list of mods for me

-slimmed, reshaped, rounded and vintagised the case

-reshaped the lugs

-custom made single side vintage springbars

-reworked CG, without the RG TM, perfectly re-brushed and with new custom made domed lever pin- perfect tight closure on the crown

-caseback perfectly re-brushed and domed plexi installed

-tube modded to allow for thick dial and perfect lever closure

-Madasboot Plexi installed and the white nylon pressure gasket coloured brown

-Dial aged and indices aged , first resin filled and then lume applied

-stem re-tapped

-Movement regulated, the watch keeps more accurate time than my Gen 002-D!!!!

Whilst all of this was going on with Clint, I sorted my first strap out.

Having seen a "74" vintage reproduction by Old Skool (Zak @ Red12) I knew this was the perfect combo for the watch in progress

I traded a few buckles and OS made me THE strap I wanted....100% perfect with sublime details, patina and texture.

The really incredible part of the story is that I didn't pay a penny for any of this - just traded buckles and parts with some truly great members on this board.

I'm struggling to find words that sum up my gratitude to everyone involved but I am indebted to RMcSherry , Madasboot , Old Skool and last but by no means least , humbled by the generosity and skills of Clint Eastwood for bringing all the parts together to create such a perfect watch.

Huge thanks to each of you :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

There's only one flaw , unfortunately some of the paint came away from the dial (at the edges between 8 and 12) due to the thickness of the dial , but know that with the friends I have on this board a new improved dial will be just around the corner ;)

Anyway , enough of my ramblings - here's the "ticking" proof of what's possible when RWG brings such people together!!!

Thanks and enjoy!!

P1020843.jpg

P1020842.jpg

P1020845.jpg

P1020847.jpg

P1020844.jpg

P1020850.jpg

P1020859.jpg

P1020860.jpg

P1020864.jpg

P1020861.jpg

P1020863.jpg

P1020857.jpg

P1020852.jpg

P1020855.jpg

P1020854.jpg

P1020856.jpg

Welcome to the club!

the only problem now is that you'll want now to add an Angelus to make company to the Cortebert you got...the cure against the Vintage PAM bug is a little bit more expensive than the regular PAM bug... :lol:

I would like to add as well word of praise for RMc and C_E who are really gentleman's when it comes to sharing info regarding the mods that need to be done to have in the end to have a masterpiece like you got...this two guys never cease to amaze me!

and thanks to you, I have a nice vintage PAM strap with sew in GPF MOD DEP buckle made by V!!!

wear it well!

Very nice Simon, I too will be taking a dip in a Vintage project one day...like all mod projects, the journey is as rewarding as the finished product. Enjoy your special piece.

dave :victory:

Really NICE ONE.

Felicitation,is a keeper for life.

Great watch and project.

Wow, looks great. Marco and G are the real contributers here - without the movement repair and casework, it'd still be a bunch of parts! I'm glad you've pulled it off, it looks fantastic - and the NOS 616 is pretty unique to your watch (other than the PAM21, I've never seen another one installed like it!).

It's also worth noting that without the trust, support and contribution from yourself and members of the community, this wouldn't of been pulled off - the irony isn't lost that some of the most genuine people I have met have been through a 'replica' forum!

I am happy you like it

You are very lucky that i have this modded case ready in my watch spare box since 1 month and don't need to use it :) because modded the case take me more time than all other step to achieved it.

The only flow is the lack of paint because paint is fragile on stainless steel, but when RMC will do a new run of dial, it can be easily changed.

The matter with this one is the thickness, it was mounted on movement without back dial, so i was obliged to put the lume directly on the dial.

But what realy surprise me is how accurate time it give, very very accurate time!

There's only one flaw , unfortunately some of the paint came away from the dial (at the edges between 8 and 12) due to the thickness of the dial , but know that with the friends I have on this board a new improved dial will be just around the corner ;)

...if only I could remember which paint I used - the dial you have has a better colour match than any other I've done! The aged brown dial is definetly a theme to stick with on this one.

As you get to know more about vintages, there'll be new things that bug you about each watch - and it'll be expensive mods to get them right! Sunburst wheels are a good step forward - I've even tried polishing and plating the NOS movements that you have there - the effect could be quite cool if tweaked a little (although CDG is more historically accurate). When you start worrying about the construction of the dial which can't be seen unless you rip the watch to pieces, you know you've got a problem - I think I need to see a professional ;)

Great watch and even better story, I can't wait to see the next project you come out with!