When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Improved DRSD

jjfesq

This is my Double Red

(MBW/MBK)

I bought it with the following mods:

-Gen crown and tube installed

-Lugs drilled

-Gen type springbars

-Insert replaced

-Dial & hands with aged lume

-Caseback paint removed

-Case repolished and then patinated

I added a gen 93150 hollow link to dress it up.

after your comments suggestions and opinions I added:

Clarks Superdome

PMWF Bezel

Ofrei Pearl

what do you guys think now

am I only a working he valve away from being done?

note pic showing he valve is before the clarks superdome install

Thanks

JJ

IMG_1574.jpg

IMG_1581.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

IMG_1567.jpg

IMG_1585.jpg

drsd012.jpg

IMG_1584.jpg

IMG_1577.jpg

Congrats jj !!.. I'm no Rolex expert.. but it looks quite AWESOME !!

enjoy !

Live Strong and Wear it Well

L B)

btw .. I did remove the lume from the ofrei pearl and added some wood stain , from the back to match Ziggy's vintage T lume..

The work so far definitely shows.

I would consider a few additional steps -

• Reshap the crown guards - as they are, I think they look too new & may be covering a bit too much of the crown
  • Relume the dial & hands with either white (my preference) or a tannish color paint or non-glowing lume (the tritium lume on a vintage watch would have lost its glow many years ago).
  • Vintagize the dial/hands (there are a number of tutorials you can search out, including mine done with matte spray varnish)
  • A working Hev, but as this requires alot of work for very little visual improvement, I would do it after completing all of the above.

I think the watch looks very nice. Some aging would be nice, but everyday wear and tear will achieve that eventually.

I disagree with Freddy about the crown guards- at least as far as the insides next to the crown. I think that part is fine. Now taking metal off the outside of the cg's helps, IMO. MBW cg's on the 1665 and 1680 are too fat, but thinning down the outsides is a lot of work- Pugwash did it on his 1680. It really helps, but it's a lot of work- not for the feint of heart.

Working HE valves, personally, I wouldn't worry about it. This is a rep and who's really going to know.

Were those 593 end pieces on your 93150? 585's are almost impossible to find and 580's are your best bet- but that could run $100-150.

I think you're to the point of wearing it and let the aging begin. Congrats.

It's the fundamental problem with the MBK case... the cg's are too "curved down" and bulky. The outsides need to be shapen and filed as well, to achieve that "spiky" gen look.

Gen cg's look like "chops" on the vintage Dwellers & Subs... the cg "tops" aren't as rounded.

RetiredDvrs.jpg

Check this old post by Sherrington. I think he pretty much nailed the correct cg shape.

Other than that... your watch looks great! :tu: