When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this Swiss or clone ETA?

jleef

...and is it cost effective to be serviced? I'm about to send off my SMP for a service (water got in the case for one reason), but I've been told by the guy that many asian movements are poorly made and he can't do much with them - plus of course there's the cost-effective point too.

I paid extra for a genuine eta movement but not convinced that's what I've got, so I should probably be on to my dealer questioning why if not?

47967954hr2.th.jpg 64839579sd2.th.jpg 55101242yn8.th.jpg

So, is it genuine? And is it of a good enough quality if not to still get it serviced? Thanks :-)

The rotor is covering the part of the movement which can be more helpful in ID'ing your movement.

Is that large silver gear in your picture polished or brushed? If polished it is likely a clone ETA movement. If you can take a clear, well lit pic of the rotor on the opposite side, it would be more helpful.

Not to worry though. I hear that alot - "I paid extra for an ETA movement". Please understand that it isn't your dealers fault. The factories offers two versions of may watches, one with a lower quality and one with higher that the factory claims is ETA. So what they really should be saying is "You paid for the highest quality movement available for that watch..."

Even dealers usually have no idea any more what is in there - other than that you DID get the highest quality version of the watch. What I mean is that complaining would do no good as you have the highest "ETA" version that can be had. It is not as if you draw the dealers attention to it he can go "Oh, sorry, let me tell the factory to make one with a real ETA this time...

Just look at it this way: If there isn't a real ETA in your watch, there isn't ever going to be unless you fit one yourself. This is the oldest scam in the industry and it ain't the dealers doing it. The factories have been repping ETA's for years and passing them off as gens - and why not? They rep everything else. Thinking that they wouldn't rep them is naive and pointless as the quality is still the highest available for whatever watch in question.

I give you the same advice I give everyone. Buy the lower quality movement in every watch you get. See if you love it. If not, sell it. If so, fit your own ETA movement in it for a bit over a hundred bucks. That way, you have probably paid less in total and then you will be sure. From now on there is no being sure about ETA in China - other than being sure that they are all fakes...

OK, I guess I can safely assume it's a clone then. I guess there's a hint of irony to all of this, being the replica watch market and all :)

So my next question would be: is it likely to be of a high enough quality to be serviceable? Or are we talking about a

In my memory, if you wants to spot what is fake or gen, you have to look at the holes on the small gears (that not the only way but a trusty one). This method was introduced by Chris ;)

But, I can be wrong of course!

For me this movement is a clone.

I will agree it doesn't appear to be an ETA movement.

I changed my mind. I believe it's an SW200 by Sellita. Being Sellita, it is in fact a "Swiss" movement in that Sellita is a Swiss company.

for more information: SW200 Sellita

Sorry that's not a Sellita, it clearly has an ETA stamp and Sellita don't put that on their movements.

Of course that doesn't necessarily mean it it's an ETA, could just as easily be a clone. One of the easiest tells is the shock mount on top of the balance, if it has a single cut out its a clone but if it has three then its Swiss, cant really tell from the pics.

img0143io8.jpg

OK, ETA logo doesn't look of the best engraving quality. I guess it's a fake.

My watch repair guy said a lot of asian movements are of poor quality, soft steel, and so he can't work with them. Is that likely to be the case with this one?

Thanks guys, I can clearly see the differences now and would have to agree that based on the evidence I've seen here, it's definitely a clone.

I've emailed my repair guy asking what he would charge to drop a gen 2824-2 into the watch should he deem the current movement not serviceable, so I guess I'll play this one by ear.

Thanks again!

I had a more detailed look at the engravings on your movement, and of gen, and amongst other things, I would say I'm 99% sure your watch has a clone ETA movement. Theres a number of issues:

1)The Kif Trior shock absorber on clone ETA has one notch for spring removal, gen ETA has 3. Yours has one notch...

2)The movement winding gear (gold gear under the large silver gear) is brushed on clone ETA movements, on gen its finished smooth. The gear in your movement looks brushed.

3)Your movement is missing the "DM" markings near the ETA logo, I have seen the same thing on all clone movements I've owned, gens always have the "DM" engravings from what I've seen.

Many thanks for The Zigmeister and his indepth post for the tells.