When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why do Manufacturers make such silly mistakes?

steviekill

Hi,

I have been interested in the "best" reps for a couple of years or so and I read these forums from time to time to

learn from the fountains of knowlege that often post here but one thing has always bugged me...

Why do the manufacturers seem to always make silly mistakes on reps?

They seem to copy the really difficult markings from the original but then make the most stupid, often silly mistakes that you would have thought

would have been easier to get right ie, the wrong Omega logo on UPO version. wrong fonts used on date wheels on various reps, engravings missing on bracelets on various reps etc, etc, etc

These things you would assume would cost no more money which sometimes suggests attention to detail is laughable and

gives the impression that manufacturers don't really care about the products they make.

Do they not use originals as a comparison? Surely there is enough money to be made if they get it right to

buy an original as a template to work from to match every detail or very, very, very close (not obvious, easily correctable mistakes)

I await any information anyone has with all ears!

Look forward to your replies

I know I've wondered this myself. Like they go as far as to line the x's up with the 1,2,3,4, and 5 hour markers and the r's with the 7,8,9,10,11 or w/e but then will screw up something as simple as the color on the date wheel? lol

I'd say they make these mistakes on purpose to be able to distinguish between rep and gen. Imagine what would happen on eBay if they were to make a perfect sub, indistinguishable from the gen. We all know what happened here when the rep makers got a little too close with the Hublot ;)

This much I know for sure - rep watches are not designed or manufactured by WIS types (serious watch aficionados/collectors). Most are either not aware of the mistakes (think of how long it took most of us to learn the differences between a Rolex 703 & 702 Triplock & that is just 1 out of thousands of details) or do not think that most buyers will notice them (which, for the majority of rep buyers, is true).

In addition, while I have absolutely no proof of this, I continue to suspect some degree of collusion between the gen makers & major rep factories. The agreement stipulates that the gens will leave the rep makers (mostly) alone as long as they agree never to produce exact copies.

So you think selling a perfect watch means no opportunity for re-releases?

smaller is the word for that part right there... there would be a smaller opportunity as most people if they already have a perfect watch they bought for 300$ they're not going to buy another... however if they paid 200$ the first time and there were flaws and another came out that had those flaws fixed and was $300 you'd get a much larger response....

In addition, while I have absolutely no proof of this, I continue to suspect some degree of collusion between the gen makers & major rep factories. The agreement stipulates that the gens will leave the rep makers (mostly) alone as long as they agree never to produce exact copies.

I tend to agree with this. This sort reminds of the early days of Microsoft, Metallica, and online 'piracy' in a way. For years Microsoft did nothing to combat piracy. It was not until it monopolized the market that it started to crack down. Metallica helped build its success via the 'bootleg' industry, and more to the point-- have you ever downloaded a song, movie, or software only to later BUY it or in some way SUPPORT the artist???

For some Rep's are like a gateway drug, get you hooked, and perhaps some day you pony up for the Gen.

Lets face it, there are people running around with reps that can never afford a gen, but the more Rolex's fake or otherwise get noticed. It helps keep the name in headlines. Free publicity, no such thing a bad publicity.

Finally, you have people like me who have thrown in the towel for a good GMT rep, 14060 rep, and Navi (can't live with date and bezel #) and OWN/WILL buy the GEN-- shortly I hope.

-Ronin

I think there are few elements to this.

Yes it is agreeable that Gen manufacturers may ease their frustration with Rep manufacturers based on a premise that if replicas represent the spirit of a Gen but not the physical attribute a 100%, then perhaps the Rep world ought to continue because as said, it may lead you to buy a Gen in the future.

Also, and less speculative perhaps, they may have several individuals who break down gens and try and copy the individual parts. Some of these designers are perhaps slightly better at focusing at the difficult stuff and leaving the "easy" jobs to other designers who rarely care about the stringent accuracy of the parts but are merely motivated by the profits they can generate.

Also a possibility is that certain parts are made in different factories around the area and some parts get mixed up or parts are bought in which aren't of top quality just to cut costs and guarantee a little more revenue.

Either way I understand your frustration.

Oh and as for the individual who said something along the lines of "buy a V2". Well not true, the V1 IWC 3717 had a good dial and case, glass, but lacked in good AR and lume.

To counter that they made the V2 where they countered all the negatives before but foolishly made a terrible looking dial. It was only thanks to a later V3 that things got better but the issue with the date wheels never got resolved as such without the intervention of personal modding.

Regards,

Asim

yes, I have also been wondering about that myself.

From reading the posts, it seems that many people think that gen manufacturers has some sort of agreement with rep makers.

They probably are aware that they cant do anything to stop their products being repped, so to think that they make a deal with rep makers is plausible..

However, I don't think gen makers want to deal in any way with reps.

Probably they are turning a blind eye if the reps are really not that close. I don't know. Do you think it is likely though that they made a deal with chinese factories?

In regards to free marketing, I agree though that in most cases it is never bad. But we have to keep in mind too that an inferior product (your rep keeps breaking down for example and people think that the gen is not reliable) might be bad marketing for the brand.

I agree.

Getting busted for a 90% replica carries the same rap as getting busted for a 99% replica.

I think the factories do not care as most buyers do not know the difference and are happy with the status quo...RWG etc guys are exceptions.

The factories can probably make 99% replicas for about the same price as 90% replicas if they wanted to.

What's really crazy is when they come out with an "all new 100% perfect replica" to correct past mistakes and it is worse than the model it replaced.

c'est la vie :D

Exactly... take the "old factory" SMP for example...proper HE valve, etc. What happens to the factory? Shut down.

Now...the new factory makes one with an incorrect HE valve, shitty sapphire crystal and dodgy quality (generally screwed link) bracelet. Funny how that works out....