When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam Screws End Comparison.

V

In most cases the slot end of the screw is even more noticable on the reps. If you buy genuine screws they may not fit any better, as the total width of the outside of the lugs varies from rep to rep. Only Jimmy Fu's cases are exactly the same as the gen in my experience.

Here is another comparison... a new (generic) screw - and one that was removed from a brand new Rep.

Good reason to check - and if necessary, replace - your lug screws.

97268-27060.jpg

It looks to me as if the screw was power-driven into a drilled - but not threaded - hole, in the hope that it would cut its own thread. Not best engineering practice <_<

Loktite is your friend...

V,

Can you post a pic comparing the OEM, REP, and aftermarket screws side-by-side? I'm curious to see if the OEM's are actually longer in length (threaded portion) or if its because of the lug thickness on the rep 44mm case.

B.

Edited by buster1

I can't post pictures at the moment but I have a gen 005 with OEM screws, plus a spare set of OEM screws, as well as 3 44mm reps and a few sets of Jimmy Fu's screws. In each case the rep's screws are the same length as the OEM, but have a slightly longer threaded section which allows the rep screw to screw in further than the OEM. This results in the slot end being recessed and the threaded end projecting slightly (but less than the recess at the slotted end) because the outside width of the lugs is 0.03mm wider than the genuine PAM005. Jimmy Fu's screw sets are the closest to the OEM but still slightly rounded at each end where the gen screws are perfectly flat across their entire thickness. Hope this makes sense.

I can't post pictures at the moment but I have a gen 005 with OEM screws, plus a spare set of OEM screws, as well as 3 44mm reps and a few sets of Jimmy Fu's screws. In each case the rep's screws are the same length as the OEM, but have a slightly longer threaded section which allows the rep screw to screw in further than the OEM. This results in the slot end being recessed and the threaded end projecting slightly (but less than the recess at the slotted end) because the outside width of the lugs is 0.03mm wider than the genuine PAM005. Jimmy Fu's screw sets are the closest to the OEM but still slightly rounded at each end where the gen screws are perfectly flat across their entire thickness. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for the info....

:g: So...if I throw a set of OEM screws onto my rep, the 'screw-end' will be recessed and not flush like in the gen?

B.

Thanks for the info....

:g: So...if I throw a set of OEM screws onto my rep, the 'screw-end' will be recessed and not flush like in the gen?

B.

OEM screws will only be perfect if the lug thickness and lug spacing are both 100% the same as the gen. Otherwise both ends will either be recessed or project slightly depending on the extent of any variation in the lug spacing or thickness. In my experience of 3 reps they have all varied slightly but enough to be noticeable. I think the manufacturing tolerances of the reps cannot be expected to match the gen, particularly as the screws are probably manufactured elsewhere and ‘bought in’ rather than matched to any particular batch of cases.

BTW, I have had a genuine PAM 001 where the genuine screws projected outside the lugs on both sides, due to the case having been commercially machine polished. This illustrates how close the tolerances really are.