When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Your help please. Thinking of a move to the states

FxrAndy

I have a job offer to get me started and a sponsor but where do you start with getting permission to work in the states, it may just be for 6 months but it may be permanant. what do i need to do first?

Who is up for a Louisiana GTG????

It's not worth it. Honestly. If I could go back in time to 1929 to prevent my father from leaving Aschaffenburg I would.

There is no better life here. I dwell in a shack and receive a government monthly stipend of just $1,200. I have toast for breakfast and a frozen chicken pie for dinner. Our Social Security system is a kind of euthanasia on the installment plan for our sick and elderly.

Phoband actually is/was a board certified attorney in Florida, where I am, but due to circumstances beyond my control last year, I had to put off finishing law school until this fall, so I'm not sure how current/accurate my information will be. But Louisianna is probably the LAST state in the Union that you want to move to. Half of the state looks like shhit, the other half only smells like it. The crime and political corruption is one of the highest in the US, and other than typical Southern-style politically corrupt scandals and bastardized french white-trash, the place is a cultural and cognitive vacuum. Avoid at all costs.

To my knowledge it's easier if your company could apply for the Visa for you, but I believe it's a J-1 work visa for a skills/work exchange type, or the ubiquitos H-1B visa for typical employment stay. A lawful permanent resident would move up to the green card, which short of good contacts and greased palms will take years. If memory serves, the J visas are renewable every 18 months, but in order to get an H-1B visa, you will have to have the US equivalent of a Bachelor's degree, or 12 years continuous work experience in the same field you would be applying for in the US.

EDIT: Considering "ubique" is Latin for "from everywhere", we would first have to know where you're coming from to determine if it's worse than where you'll be going. If the answer is Kabul, Dushanbe, or Glasgow, then Louisianna might actually be a step up for you.

Edited by gioarmani

Aha thanksd Gio, i actualy liked louisiana lat time i was there, but that was before Katrina

but in order to get an H-1B visa, you will have to have the US equivalent of a Bachelor's degree, or 12 years continuous work experience in the same field you would be applying for in the US.

may be a problem as well as i am retiring from the military after 24 years and starting fresh and if i had a bachelors degree i would not hsave spent the last 24yrs running round the world chasing wars, not that i have done that much but still.

Just has a good laugh reading some of the forms, but have not found the are you a terorist one yet

agree with georgegrasser here...

think about it, i for myself have some relatives in US.

if its payd good and just for 6 months ok then

but believe me there WILL be things to come even much worser than now

for us citizen...

it might even get hard to understand how this was once called

"land of the free"

george

"land of the free"...

come on, utopia does not exist. opportunities are there where we look hard enough. i mean, yes times are hard now and things won't be rosy for many years, but i think we should go where there are possibilities.

and usa ain't all bad, i was in virginia beach for two months doing an investment banking internship and it was great!!!

It's not worth it. Honestly. If I could go back in time to 1929 to prevent my father from leaving Aschaffenburg I would.

There is no better life here. I dwell in a shack and receive a government monthly stipend of just $1,200. I have toast for breakfast and a frozen chicken pie for dinner. Our Social Security system is a kind of euthanasia on the installment plan for our sick and elderly.

I don't know your situation or profess to know but I'll just say this: Americans traditionally shun government handouts and believe in self-sufficiency. I consider that a plus.

Wow! And what did you do to earn that $1200/month besides bash your country on the internets?

PS... You know, it's never to late to pursue greener pastures.

n73001712913158218420.jpg

Ken :animal_rooster:

I think the issue most Americans have with international football is that we like it when there's a plan. Before every play of American football, they have a meeting and obviously have a plan. With international football, it's impossible to tell if they have a plan or are just running around. :D

I think the issue most Americans have with international football is that we like it when there's a plan. Before every play of American football, they have a meeting and obviously have a plan. With international football, it's impossible to tell if they have a plan or are just running around. :D

Bold, bold statements! I kinda want to lay into this abit but yeah.. I'll just call you brave instead :D

I wonder if any of you guys have ever watched a game of AFL?

Yes they have a basic team plan and the coach is constantly adding little fine tunings to it through-out the game...without the stoppages.....they go flat out for 120 minutes and best of all no helmets or padding, just blood and guts. :)

Ken