When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Neil Peart Breaks a Drum Stick

Ronin

I've played with him a couple of times, the guy is on a different planet!! If only I had a smidge of the talent and skill he has!!

One of the greatest and most breathtaking skill he has, as well show in YYZ up there, is the way he can go from such different styles, beats and solos in the blink of an eye!

Only other drummer I've played with that even comes close to him, both on a technical and showmanship level, is Tommy Lee! He gets played ou as a dumb rock starwho parties with playboy girls etc, but if you ever see him play live or have seen one of his solo's he really is up there!

But on a pure techincal and skill level I have yet to play with anyone anywhere as good as Neil!!

This young kid is pretty impressive though!!

I've played with him a couple of times, the guy is on a different planet!! If only I had a smidge of the talent and skill he has!!

One of the greatest and most breathtaking skill he has, as well show in YYZ up there, is the way he can go from such different styles, beats and solos in the blink of an eye!

Only other drummer I've played with that even comes close to him, both on a technical and showmanship level, is Tommy Lee! He gets played ou as a dumb rock starwho parties with playboy girls etc, but if you ever see him play live or have seen one of his solo's he really is up there!

But on a pure techincal and skill level I have yet to play with anyone anywhere as good as Neil!!

This young kid is pretty impressive though!!

Pray tell how u got to play with these guys nikki?

JTB

ok - he's a good drummer. although i'm not totally into his style. My favorites are Portnoy, Shane Gaalaas, but the best is Vinnie Coliuta. Anyone who can record albums with Chick Corea, Sting, and Megadeth has to go down as the best drummer of all time.

- now on breaking a stick - that was no big deal AT ALL :) for an average drummer. people drop sticks miss flips and break them all the time.

You want to be impressed? you should check out my video of my High School Jazz Band state competition video.

In a song that i had a drum solo - i'm playing, all of a sudden my bass drum pedel breaks in the middle of the song.

With continuing to play swing in the cymbal with my right hand - i pulled out a drum key, put the pedel back to gether and tightened it, without missing a beat., went on to play the drum solo !!!!

:)

BT, that made my morning. amazing...

Get the Replay DVD, which has 3 old Rush gigs. This particular one (where the YYZ has been taken) is "A Show of Hands" from 1989. It's one of the best recorded live performances I've ever seen. I have some impressive performances by King Crimson, Zappa's band and Mahavishnu... but this takes the cake, imho. The whole gig is just surreal... as great live band as they still are... they aren't playing at the same level anymore.

rush-replay-x3.jpg

Drum sticks? Gay.

This is the, not-arguably, best rock drummer that ever took in air. If you want to argue the point. Start a new thread. I promise I won't click it. :)

Mmmm! For once my friend we have to agree to disagree. You know of whom I talk. Nuff said.

Guest carlsbadrolex

Who even cares who the BEST is... they are both absolutely incredible.

Nikki, please do tell what you had to do to even be in the same room or on the same stage as NP.

Yea, both are great.

But neither have Goldfish in their kit B)

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Plus, nobody could finish like Keith

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

As some of you may or may not know, I played in bands for a lot of years when I was younger. I have been friends with the Crue for a long time and have played Tommy's drums on several occassions, that kit that goes round and round is a killer I still have no idea how managed the solos he did in that thing!!

As for Neil, I have a lot of fiends in Niagra Falls and the Toronto area. One of these knows Geddy Lee pretty well, on one of my trips over there we went to Geddy's house and had a laugh and went down to his studio and were messing around (I got to play YYZ with Geddy which was awesome!!) then from out of nowhere Neil came round with some new stuff he was doing and wanted to try it out with Geddy. After talking for a while we decided it would be fun to jam and have a laugh, I ended up in a drumming duel with Mr Peart, it was amazing fun, I used to be a pretty good player, but man, my skill never even came close to what this guy could do. In our 'Deliverence Duel' as it was from then called, I got totally creamed, but it was an experience that taught me loads and leaves me with awesome memories, of guys who were almost Gods in my youth and who turned out to be just great guys with a great sense of humour, in my now dark wee world.

I would say he is by far the best I have ever watched or played with no contest!! But my boy, Tommy, has some serious skills too!! Hes not just some dumb rockstar he is an amazing guy with a huge heart and a massive talent!!

Sixx :bones:

Mmmm! For once my friend we have to agree to disagree. You know of whom I talk. Nuff said.

And revelling in it! To know that we are both 'correct' in our opinion is just so 'right'.

Truth be told, if given the opportunity, I would have prefered the personal company of Moon. I would only imagine. Bonzo was not the 'happy drunk' from sources. To be in his good grace was fine, but if he doubted you for a nano-second, your ass would be more than likely handed to you. I simply cannot drink under those circumstances :lol:

Anyhoo, it took years for me to reason out why Bonham was the first drummer on record who's playing touched me. And I never played a drum aside some bongos. It were the fact he dialed out all the 'snare' from that particular drum and it's sound was instantly recognisable. I am from an era, as many are here, who first heard albums like Zeppelin's IV on radio as 'new releases' long before buying the record, much less hearing them first on "Golden Oldie" AM stations. I had a combination transistor radio/spot light on my Schwinn Stingray bike handle bar. When I was twelve I heard the opening to "When the Levee Breaks" riding around at night on that bike in upstate New York. It scared the hell out of me when the guitar riff and harmonica chimed in after that drum intro.

Years later, at boarding school, I was listening to WPLJ out of NYC late at night, in bed, all against the rules. The 'new' Zeppelin record Physical Graffiti was being played, in it's complete form. Something unheard of up till then on rock FM radio. One track, The Wanton Song, even aside Kashmir stood out as my instant favorite. Conferring with the only drummer on campus days later, the drumming technique I heard and tried to explain was termed " a triplet". Yeah, the "triplet". That just gets me to the core. Bonham handed them out like I sneeze; you don't think about it, it just happens.

A year or two later I knew what I had to do, when I got the chance; go AWOL from boarding school @ 18 and take the Metro North down to Grand Central Station. The rest is history. :)

Led%20Zep.jpg

@Sixx WoW...

@dluddy, Keith Moon was Neil's biggest influence back in the day. He has said as much in past interviews. I think it was Moon's influence that lead to Neil drumming with the opposite end of the drum sticks. He did this up until the Test For Echo record, when he went "back to school" with Freddie Gruber.

Also, make sure to check out his Buddy Rich tribute stuff.

This is actually my favorite solo of his, and it is not with Rush. I think I like it for the smaller/simplified drum kit he uses. Also, you can see him "flip" to using the back side of the stick shortly in to his Rush-esq solo portion.

Guest carlsbadrolex

Nikki, I have a kit packed away that I hope to dig out when I am settled in at the new place. I have ALWAYS loved the drums, but never really been any good at it by anyones standards. YOU my friend are one lucky (and obviously talented) guy.

I agree about Tommy, he is pretty damn good also. What is your opinion of Travis from Blink? It seems to me that some times he is right on and plays really well and sometimes he is all over the place.

In any event, I bow to you...

:punk:

Drum sticks? Gay.

This is the, not-arguably, best rock drummer that ever took in air. If you want to argue the point. Start a new thread. I promise I won't click it. :)

Demsey I cant agree. Then again I cant disagree :o WOW Oh and by the way it just so happens that Led Zep is my all time favorite band. Jimmy Page on his double neck. classic "Get the led out" B) Mike

That was great Ronin. Neil featured with his own orchestra. Wonder what that event was?

Buddy Rich Memorial Concerts. (Amazon link)

Product Description

The world's finest drummers came together with the Buddy Rich Big Band on October 14, 1989, to honor Buddy Rich. This 2 DVD set features Neil Peart, Dennis Chambers, Dave Weckl, Steve Gadd, Louie Bellson, Gregg Bissonette, Vinnie Colaiuta, Marvin 'Smitty' Smith, Steve Smith, Omar Hakim and Will Calhoun. A very successful series on VHS, this highly anticipated DVD represents an exceptional value by containing the complete original series and special features including photo gallery and 3 bonus performances starring Buddy Rich. Running time approx 270 mins.

:thumbs:

• 1 year later...

New Guitar Hero 3 has Rush 2112 theme. Dunno what I should think about this... band who always avoided this kind of mainstream stuff... are they selling out... or merely staying "in touch" with the modern technology? :unsure: