When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Crystal.... Crack!

GrantR

One pleasant evening i was just on my laptop and i herd this crack, like a twig being snapped... Thought nothing off it as i couldn't locate the sound, then about 30mins later i check the time and find this on my newly purchased Planet Ocean 45mm.....

sdc10223x.jpg

sdc10224.jpg

Argh! Only had this Omega for about 3 weeks...

Has this happened to you? If so did you find a replacement?

Damn, what a nightmare, seems to have just fractured, no signs of a bump/knock either! :o

Contact your dealer, maybe you can get a new crystal shipped out? if it's a UPO, parts should be readily available, just a question of getting the crystal installed....

Cover up any gap in the crystal too, to stop dust/dirt getting at the dial etc.....

Good luck! B)

I had the exact same thing happen to a Seiko Orange Monster. It delaminated just like that. Of course I was standing on it at the time........ :Jumpy:

Forget trying to source a real domed Seiko replacement. Can't be done. But I bet you can push that crystal out with your thumbs (remove the movement first) and measure it up, and get a nice GS sapphire replacement for not too much $$$.

Damn, what a nightmare, seems to have just fractured, no signs of a bump/knock either! :o

Contact your dealer, maybe you can get a new crystal shipped out? if it's a UPO, parts should be readily available, just a question of getting the crystal installed....

Cover up any gap in the crystal too, to stop dust/dirt getting at the dial etc.....

Good luck! B)

Nope, haven't even knocked it recently! Its not a UPO, nor is it new. I bought it second hand on here... so a replacement from the factory isn't in the question sadly!

I had the exact same thing happen to a Seiko Orange Monster. It delaminated just like that. Of course I was standing on it at the time........ :Jumpy:

Forget trying to source a real domed Seiko replacement. Can't be done. But I bet you can push that crystal out with your thumbs (remove the movement first) and measure it up, and get a nice GS sapphire replacement for not too much $$$.

I could certinaly remove it and measure it up but what is a "GS sapphire replacement"? And maybe more importantly where might i get one?

Good question... GS is a company that sells watch crystals. There's an incredible array of choices out there. If you can caliper the diameter and thickness, and get a rough idea of the cross section (lens? flat on the back?) then anyone with a good GS assortment can set you up. And they're surprisingly inexpensive.

Some leads...

http://www.gssupplies.com/catalog.html

http://www.ofrei.com/page751.html

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Vintage-Watch-...l__W0QQ_armrsZ1

http://bestsource123.com/page873.html

I would just contact the dealer and ask for a whole new replacement watch. That is unacceptable. Be glad it didn't explode and take out one of your eyes, or one of your family member's eyes.

If i had bought it new from a dealer here i would without a doubt have done that, sadly its second hand from the TradingZone.

I had this happen to an old seamaster rep I had (10+ years ago). It was a mineral crystal and it was not installs correctly and caused uneven pressure on the crystal. I set the watch down one day, face down, and pop, she cracked just like yours. I was able to take it back to the place I bought it (a mall kiosk) and he threw in a new crystal.

Follow nanaq's advice and you will be allset. Good luck

Sorry to hear about your experience, I've heard of PAM 127 crystals spontaneously exploding, but not an Omega crystal :huh:

I'm sure you won't have any problem finding a replacement part, and installation is simplicity itself :) Best of luck :good:

Thanks for all the replys and ideas guys, i think i'll def have to get a new crystal one way or another. Put a wanted post in the trading section, as i figure there must be loads of 42mm PO's that have died over the years, prob some people who have them setting about with a nice double ar crystal etc...!

if it were me i'd email my trusted dealer (who i order most of my new watches from) and tell him the situation. you might be surprised by the response you get ;)

if that doesn't work, i'd consider it an opportunity to snag one of reg's (now legendary) 42mm POs....

just my $0.02,

deltatahoe

I've been searching for one myself, and came across this:

Seiko Monster replacement crystal?