When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Photo-Geeks: Bought myself a Olympus SLR

slay

Hey!

Lookin for a budget cam on eBay, I mysteriously came across a Olympus e410 D-SLR for about 130Euros. I thought what the heck and bought it. It is from a reputable seller and is refurbished straight from Olympus. Of course with the lens included!

So what do you say, did I make a good buy? Will I be happy with the cam? The only downside of this cam is that is does not support auto focus when you want to use the display for "live view".

Edited by slay

Hey!

Lookin for a budget cam on eBay, I mysteriously came across a Olympus e410 D-SLR for about 130Euros. I thought what the heck and bought it. It is from a reputable seller and is refurbished straight from Olympus. Of course with the lens included!

So what do you say, did I make a good buy? Will I be happy with the cam? The only downside of this cam is that is does not support auto focus when you want to use the display for "live view".

Hey B. I think at that price u cant go wrong man!

I do not know that cam in depth but there are good reviews available on it try (dpreview, steve digicams etc...)

I have a canon 40d that i got September 2008 and was amazed by the quality of image u can achieve with a dslr... it really is a day / night difference!

I also learned later that is not about the body that much as it is about the lens! And believe me u will get that soon... The original lens i had was a decent one an Canon EF-S 17-85/4-5.6 IS USM, that makes nice pictures but when i invested into a Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L then things started to pop of the screen...

Its a tricky and addictive road the dslr one... sadly as u proceed it will command big expenses still can be manageable if ure not to demanding ;)

Hope to see it in action on the GTG ill bring my canon also capice will be there with his 1d series.

He for sure will have some tricks to share so looking forward.

regards Laz

Hey!

A friend has one of these and he loves it.

As lazarini says, lenses are the bit that can make a huge difference, in you case though I think the kit lens is made by Zuiko and they are supposed to be superb.

Very good move buying it.

Yes, it has a Zuiko lens :) I still can't believe that I got it for 130 Euros, what a crazy deal for a DSLR (even with live view!). Just ordered a 8GB CF card so I can start shooting :D

@laz sorry, won't have it at the GTG, will get it the week after I think, the seller only wanted to ship to my residence in Germay, so I have to wait till someone comes up here and brings it :)

By the way, would you say I need a macro lens? Or will the cam take good macro shots without that extra lens?

Edited by slay

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ThePhilosopher

A macro will let you get so much closer than not - I have the 35mm f/3.5 Macro and will be ordering the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro soon. Lighting and training your eye to see it are more important than any gear - sure you'll get better quality, but the images will still stink if you don't know what makes a good composition. Good price too BTW, I shoot Olympus also.