When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My First Watch Disassembly

redwatch

Ok so it seems I have hit a little snag. The little wishbone assembly that is geared to turn the date wheel seems a little off and because it is plastic, I can't seem to fix it. Either that, or when I put the thrust plate back over top of the date wheel, maybe its moving. I am not sure. Here are some photos. If anyone has any thoughts, input would be appreciated!

IMG_0772.jpg

Close up of the gear mechanism

IMG_0773.jpg

Close up of the "wishbone" pusher

IMG_0774.jpg

To me, the shoulder on the high point of the "Y" seems a little "mulched up"

One big problem with the OS movements, is that if when the movement enters the date change phase, and then the operator decides to reset the time, some level of damage occurs internally, which basically renders the movement US.

I have never bothered to disassemble a movement like this, preferring to just swap in a new one, so have never investigated this. Maybe this is what we are seeing here?

This problem is also very common in a lot of Seikos. particularly the 7T32.

Offshore

PS I think I may have a couple of dead OS movements in my box, however I believe they have the same symptoms :rolleyes:

Offshore

To me, the shoulder on the high point of the "Y" seems a little "mulched up"

One big problem with the OS movements, is that if when the movement enters the date change phase, and then the operator decides to reset the time, some level of damage occurs internally, which basically renders the movement US.

I have never bothered to disassemble a movement like this, preferring to just swap in a new one, so have never investigated this. Maybe this is what we are seeing here?

This problem is also very common in a lot of Seikos. particularly the 7T32.

Offshore

PS I think I may have a couple of dead OS movements in my box, however I believe they have the same symptoms :rolleyes:

Offshore

That seems to be the exact problem with this one. Due to the nature of the plastic "Y" it seems to be sitting higher than it should naturally. May be a little beyond repair at this point. I will keep playing with setting it a couple more times and then it may be time to order a new one.

Certainly learning a lot though! Having the magnifying headband sure does make life a whole lot easier!

That seems to be the exact problem with this one. Due to the nature of the plastic "Y" it seems to be sitting higher than it should naturally. May be a little beyond repair at this point. I will keep playing with setting it a couple more times and then it may be time to order a new one.

Certainly learning a lot though! Having the magnifying headband sure does make life a whole lot easier!

You might try filing the high (rough) part down to see if this makes a difference. Of course this, would be a very tricky task and probably impossible to do. Your efforts have encouraged me to try a similar operation on one of my movements that has a broken tube. Thanks for supplying the great photos as well. I never knew my G9 could take such good macro's - it's a great little point and shoot, like you say.

You might try filing the high (rough) part down to see if this makes a difference. Of course this, would be a very tricky task and probably impossible to do. Your efforts have encouraged me to try a similar operation on one of my movements that has a broken tube. Thanks for supplying the great photos as well. I never knew my G9 could take such good macro's - it's a great little point and shoot, like you say.

The G9 is awesome. Of course a little mini tripod is mandatory for good, in focus macro's. Also, if you set it to Professional 'P' mode, and then press the center 'Func. Set' button, you can set a ton of things up custom. Choosing the white balance, and then moving the selection to the right to 'Custom 1' or 'Custom 2' allows you to do a white balance check. By pressing the 'Display' button, it will analyze the white balance and it is usually perfect. I also have the lens adapter LA-DC58H and an Opteka High Definition 10X Macro Lens. I also have a Polarizing Filter attached to that. It's an amazing combo.

IMGP1210.jpg

As for the 'Y' point, I think I might try that. It does seem to be binding on the bottom of the thrust plate when I re-attach it. That might do the trick. Thanks for the tip!

So I just had a thought. Since I have come this far, why not improve upon things. The most obvious flaw in using this movement is the fact that the running seconds are at 6 o'clock instead of 9 o'clock like the gen. Is it worth it, or even possible to upgrade the movement in this watch? Or would I be better off putting the quartz movement back in, and then selling and buying a better quality rep?

I am guessing that the hands will not fit the new movement, but maybe someone can give me some options? I am loving this project and I would like to take it further if I can.

I still don't see any rodico in your kit. That is mandatory. Besides removing marks, once you have some, you won't believe how you ever manipulated hands/screws/etc. into position without it. I just got an ultra-fine plastic tweezers of ebay that I like as well. Doesn't have the precision of metal ones, but they have their place as they won't scratch.

As far as the G9, it's in the shirt pocket of many a professional photog along with the rest of their gear. The saying goes the best camera is the one that's with you. Can't always have a big dslr over your shoulder. I think the G9 in particular is still a better value than the newer G10, and the video is not bad either.

I still don't see any rodico in your kit. That is mandatory.

Rodico came in my last order from ofrei. Just didn't include it in the newest pics! It's awesome! I can't believe I didn't know about it before I got into watches. It's so useful in so many ways!

impressive job :1a:

Being new to this hobby and don't want to buy any expensive tools at this early stage of experimentation.

How can I remove the case back on a Rolex, Omega Planet Ocean using normal household DIY tools.

Thanks for any comments/instructions

P_Diddy

Still waiting on any comments about upgrading this watch to a better movement. Anyone have any good franken mod suggestions for this project?

Thanks!

So after some research, it looks as though an A7750 would do the trick. The Miyota Quartz movement has one really obvious flaw. The running seconds are at 6 o'clock instead of 9. The 7750 looks like it might work, but I am wondering if the spacing on the dial will work out for a 7750.

Any thoughts?

One other thought. Are there any other members who have some Miyota OS10 movements lying around that are broken that I can take the broken date wheel gear assembly from?

Offshore, I know that you mentioned you might have some but they have the same issues that mine has currently.

Thanks!

Nice work so far, its the best way to learn trust me. (well at least the most fun..) A 7750 swap does come with some issues, eg does the stem line up, and are the dial holes correct for the movement. You can of course get genuine Omega dials and hands from Ofrei's but I'm not sure if the case you have is worth that.

If the case is the same as the 7750 based rep then it might all fit together..

So I decided to go with the quartz movement for this watch. I definitely have the bug though, and now I am lusting after a new franken project. Just can't decide which one.......although the Tuder Sub is one sexy beast! :wub:

I will post some pics once the SMP Chrono is assembled

Good work rw!

And nice job by the looks!

O/S

Thanks offshore! Appreciate it! :drinks:

Also thanks to stolikat! I had a lot of fun on this one and learned a lot along the way. I hope that this inspires others to take on the challenge to repair their own watches. It is nerve racking, stressful, and at times very frustrating. However, once you complete the project, there is no better feeling of accomplishment!!!

Excellent work. The last watch I tried to mod was rendered totaly useless. I ruined a perfectly good BCE just trying to install a diamond bezel. You shouldn't use a ball peen hammer to press on a bezel.

Now I have limited myself to sizing bracelets. :D

Edited by jfreeman420

J,

Well, as I learned in this project, the right tools are the key to any succesful repair job. I of course learned that the hard way. By using the thumb tack to push the stem release, I inadvertantly created a whole new project for myself!!! :cry2:

However, I am very happy that I did that as I forced myself to learn more about watch repair and assembly. Of course, now I have the bug and I want more, more, more!!!! :Jumpy: