When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Comex?

Nanuq

B, I know that Parisian seller, and he's very much above board.

What I don't know is enough about COMEX history to know if there was any suggestion they ever commissioned such a watch, however the word 'prototype' on the caseback would make me wary - not something I'd expect to see, numbered or otherwise.

It certainly has more Doxa Dreadnought DNA in there than Omega Ploprof, in fact so much that it looks like a redialled DN. Something I'm not sure Doxa would allow COMEX to get away with. The lack of supporting paperwork doesn't help either - even a letter of acknowledgment from Marseille would do the business, hard to believe this hasn't been obtained by a French seller. However playing Devil's advocate, I am aware many companies prefer not to officially acknowledge prototypes.

So all things considered, I think there's some very reasonable doubt there about its provenance. Your own expert reservations are on the money I think and combined with the price realised - nowhere near high enough if this were indeed a genuine prototype - suggest this is a ringer. A nice one admittedly, but a ringer nonetheless.

That looks a lot like Kenzo's Nautilus... Just with a different dial...

Basically a Fricker built case, I think?

BINGO!!! And the stuffed animal goes to Ubi!! :tu:

First time I've seen this case was at tz-uk/timefactors where the host Eddie Platts desinged a PRS-2 aka Dreadnought. There has been some arguments which was the first watch to use this case design: Dreadnougt, sawfish, nautilus. Who knows, but it's a handsome watch

I forgot one: Jacques Etoile's Atlantis