When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT Function. Help or Hinderance with travel?

TeeJay

I just wanted to bring this up so as not to drag my upcoming pictorial off track, but I really wanted to get other's opinions and feedback on wearing a watch with a GMT function while in a different timezone, ie business trips/vacations, and most specifically, do people find that it helps, or hinders their ability to synch to the local time? Here're my findings...

On my last trip to Spain, I wore my 029a, and used it to keep track on UK time (only minus an hour, but still fun to do :lol: ) I didn't have any problem adjusting to local time, I guess because it was so close to GMT anyway.

However, on my trip to Japan, I wore a Rolex GMT and never adjusted to the local time at all. I'm back home, and having no problems with the UK timezone and the difference with Tokyo. Okay, I admit, I'm somewhat tired and mentally a little 'fuzzy round the edges', but a 12 hour flight will do that to a person :lol: I'm wondering if my inability to synch to the time in Tokyo, was because I was always aware of what the time was in the UK, rather than simply ignoring UK time all together, and just living purely on Tokyo time. I admit, I find the GMT function very handy to be able to track a second timezone, and I like having that function on a watch, but I'm not so sure that it actually helped me while in a second timezone... Might I have adjusted better had I not been using a GMT function... Might I have adjusted better had I stayed longer, or would sleep deprivation simply have driven me round the bend? :huh:

What are other people's experiences?

I use 1 watch when I travel. My white dialed Explorer II. I love the fact that I can keep track of Hawaii time vs where I'm at. (Japan, Canada, Paris, NYC) It allows me to call home and not call them at 3am accidently. :-)

I dont think it really hinders the ability to adjust to the timezone difference. For instance it was 12 hours difference while we were in Paris a week ago. After the 2nd day I was on Paris time, I think the fact that the sun went down at 10PM everynight was more confusing than having the watch tell me the time was 10am in Hawaii.

In fact I love the watch's GMT feature so much I'm strongly considering it to be my 1st genuine purchase, more so than a Submariner.

I wear my GMT when I travel to the west coast (-3 hour difference). It's mainly my choice for two reasons, to keep me aware of the time at my home office, and so I don't have to reset my watch.

Yes I'm lazy, the GMT stays on Pacific Time all the time.

Guest Carl

I wear GMT's out of outdated habit.

As a surveyor, I have been involved with GPS surveying from the old days, when there were only a few satellites up there and we had to do "mission planning" for our field sessions as there were only a few windows in 24 hours when we would have enough satellites.

Sounds really retro I'm sure but the system started out on GMT and is still on it other than a shift of seconds totaling the leap seconds added since the inception of the NAVSTAR system.

Carl

even though texas is like 2 hours away from here (california), Im going to bust out the gmt hand on my PAM 228 anyways. Right now its on -8 gmt on the regular time and HK time on the GMT hand so I know when to email DSN about a new 111H :p

Ever since I started wearing this, my GMT experience greatly improved. I used to find it a hinderance with my Rolexes as if I used the bezel it would get hit and I personally don't care for the 24 hour bezel format as the hand reading changes. With the jumping hour pusher system moving forward and backward across midnite it is a breeze. And I love the 24 hour window for home time which tells night/day via 24 hr obviously, but does so without interfering with the main hands or dial. I wish more companies did "non-bezel read" GMT watches. I never travel with anything but this and I bring my DJ for a dressier change of pace usually as well. I will wear the GMT as a more casual day watch and the DJ as more of a night watch with of course strictly the Un on for actual travel days.

UNgmt1.jpg

UNgmt5.jpg

I use my EXPII last trip to Asia.....I always adjust well coming Asia way, but have a hard time adjusting back home! It takes about 5 days to finally get in synch!

TJ! Waiting for your Japan pix, Bro! Hope you had a great time with the wify!

F

Ever since I started wearing this, my GMT experience greatly improved. I used to find it a hinderance with my Rolexes as if I used the bezel it would get hit and I personally don't care for the 24 hour bezel format as the hand reading changes. With the jumping hour pusher system moving forward and backward across midnite it is a breeze. And I love the 24 hour window for home time which tells night/day via 24 hr obviously, but does so without interfering with the main hands or dial. I wish more companies did "non-bezel read" GMT watches. I never travel with anything but this and I bring my DJ for a dressier change of pace usually as well. I will wear the GMT as a more casual day watch and the DJ as more of a night watch with of course strictly the Un on for actual travel days.

UNgmt1.jpg

UNgmt5.jpg

I've said it before, bro, that is an awesome watch, and incredibly elegant, but I'm a little confused by what you meant with the text I've boldened...

I know what you mean about how a bezel can get knocked, and it's funny, previously, I said I liked the all-black GMT insert, as it meant that only the numbers moved, while the watch retained it's same appearance, but, I have to admit, having the coke insert did make it easier to make the day/night distinction at a glance... That's the awesome thing about this hobby, any time I get 'too comfortable' with an idea, a new watch shows me the error of my ways :D

LOVE GMT watches- very convenient on business/ pleasure trips- i'm comforted knowing my home time :)

I'd definitely agree with you there, but do you find that knowing your home timezone affects how you adapt to local time?

I use my EXPII last trip to Asia.....I always adjust well coming Asia way, but have a hard time adjusting back home! It takes about 5 days to finally get in synch!

TJ! Waiting for your Japan pix, Bro! Hope you had a great time with the wify!

F

I thought you used your AP Safari :huh: It was actually your shots of that which made me wonder if I would have adapted better with a regular watch, rather than the GMT which constantly displayed the UK time...

The pics are already up in the off-topic section, bro :) It was an awesome time, I only wish we could have stayed longer, to have experienced more of the country, and spent more time with people :)