When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Solution to the Sunken DW of the Asian 7750

Not sure how I missed this one.

Well done Francisco, lots of hours went into doing this project, and it does seem to require very specialized tooling and skills to get it done. Good job documenting the process, it allows others to see how much time, skill, and effort is required to do what at first seems to be a simple task...make a spacer ring.

Thanks so much for doing this up and showing such great detail, you set a high standard.

Not sure how I missed this one.

Well done Francisco, lots of hours went into doing this project, and it does seem to require very specialized tooling and skills to get it done. Good job documenting the process, it allows others to see how much time, skill, and effort is required to do what at first seems to be a simple task...make a spacer ring.

Thanks so much for doing this up and showing such great detail, you set a high standard.

Thanks friend. You know that working with the lathe takes its time.

BTW, you have a new name... :rolleyes:

Francisco

I think some people is trying to offer the mod.

About myself, I should find a faster way of manufactuing the parts.

Francisco

Yes, I think if the spacer ring can be made with the same exact tolerances, in volume and fast, then you could sell that individual part on the boards. It would then be up to each member to create the sandwich date wheel with there local modder.....

Great stuff, it will make such a big difference to many watches. Do we have one installed in a watch yet? To see what it looks like? B)

Yes, I think if the spacer ring can be made with the same exact tolerances, in volume and fast, then you could sell that individual part on the boards. It would then be up to each member to create the sandwich date wheel with there local modder.....

Great stuff, it will make such a big difference to many watches. Do we have one installed in a watch yet? To see what it looks like? B)

I have one Panerai that I would like to mod. But as you know, only good results can be achieved with a Lello DW, not with a black ETA 7750 DW.

In a couple of days I will begin to research how to offer the mod.

Francisco

Only question for me now is how to service the movement if you need to? Is it possible to disassemble the date ring in this arrangement?

Using the small amount of glue (even epoxy) shouldn't be an issue in removal. Obviously glue would have to be used again for reinstall. The Zigmeister has used epoxy on hands where pinching won't work without difficulty and tested removal and re-install as well.

Mind you...I'm not the watchmaker doing the work...so only their QUALIFIED experience would be the true answer...but again, given how glue is used even on datewheel overlays (that I have experience with), removal and reinstall is not an issue.

We were also discussing this idea here http://www.rwg.cc/members/Navitimer-date-fix-t97183.html

Glad to see it implemented and that the concept actually work. Well done!

Only question for me now is how to service the movement if you need to? Is it possible to disassemble the date ring in this arrangement?

As I wrote in the tuto, I used Hypo Cement for glueing the top DW + ring to the bottom DW, i. e., a "soft" glue. In addition, following picture shows that I employed only 4 small drops of glue:

cement.jpg

On the other hand, I employed many drops of expoxy, a "hard" glue to fasten the ring to the top DW.

img2322.jpg

Therefore, the mod (top DW + ring) can be easily removed.

Francisco

As I wrote in the tuto, I used Hypo Cement for glueing the top DW + ring to the bottom DW, i. e., a "soft" glue. In addition, following picture shows that I employed only 4 small drops of glue:

On the other hand, I employed many drops of expoxy, a "hard" glue to fasten the ring to the top DW.

Therefore, the mod (top DW + ring) can be easily removed.

Francisco

Nice use of materials. Clever B)

• 2 weeks later...

four words....precision plastic injection molding...

i'm certainly not an expert in this field, but it seems to me that the metal machined ring could be used to make a form where these rings could be produced thru precision plastic injection molding...can't be much to make the mold/tool to produce this ring...and then you could simply crank them out for a very low cost...amortizing the mold/tooling cost, these could be produced rather inexpensively...

i may also post this comment in the watchmaking section...

amazing work to make that ring, Francisco!

thoughts/comments...R

four words....precision plastic injection molding...

i'm certainly not an expert in this field, but it seems to me that the metal machined ring could be used to make a form where these rings could be produced thru precision plastic injection molding...can't be much to make the mold/tool to produce this ring...and then you could simply crank them out for a very low cost...amortizing the mold/tooling cost, these could be produced rather inexpensively...

i may also post this comment in the watchmaking section...

amazing work to make that ring, Francisco!

thoughts/comments...R

Thanks!

I answer there...

Francisco

Amazing work. Skills and tools make this a profesional solution. Maybe plastic or teflon could be used for the ring. You could not count the number of watches people would order kits for this mod.

Usil

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...