When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

why do you buy fakes?

hi guys!

do not get me wrong - i'm one of us... or at least used to be.

so, here's a question - why do you buy fake watches? You buy it and you, most likely, say to your surroundings that this is a real stuff. Except, may be your closest friends know you bought a knock-off. And you have to hide it sometimes from cool dudes who have real Rolex and Omegas (name it) - because if you put two things aside you are busted! And this is a same to admit you have a rep. Even if you have nothing to compare to your watch some people can easily recognize reps or at least suspect you got one. For example, i showed my submariner LV to one of them - the guy used to have a Rolex. He was amazed about its quality but his first comment was - is not it should be shinier? And he was right - Rolex does not use 316 grade steel! Even whatchmaker9 cannot fix it with all my respect!!! Some watches come with unacceptable quality and we just do not wear them at all!

Over past two ears i have bought more than a dozen watches - i have some Seikos and Citizens also among my Omegas, Rolex, Panerai etc. So, what i noticed recently, that my beater is Seiko diver's watch. Also, simple math - if i saved all the money i spent on replicas i could buy a decent real watch and wear it proudly.

Bottom line - are we losers? Why do we buy fakes?

alex

P.S. I can not stop buying fakes myself - i'm addicted... what will be my next one??? :blowup:

some of my watches:

post-16289-1244338300_thumb.jpg

post-16289-1244338333_thumb.jpg

post-16289-1244338364_thumb.jpg

post-16289-1244338402_thumb.jpg

no offense man - is this what we should say when busted?

in what way they are more interesting? they are crappier - definitely! more interesting?- doubt it. B)

When you do what Ubi has done, they are definately more interesting. Go out and drop the $10,000 on a gen in a shop or build the frankens from scratch?

Ubi is right.

I have several gens, but actually it is quite boring to go in a shop and spend $5k. It is a lot more rewarding to build a franken / rep that will stand the comparison to a gen.

The rep vs. rolex steel myth is IMO not true. You can combine gen rlx parts wth rep stell and you won't see any colour difference in any light.

Quite simply for me: I buy reps because I like nice watches, but don't have the money to buy all the gens instead.

With regards to your example; we're still awaiting an actual good LV rep so the LV will always fall short.

The "grade of steel" talk is something I really got interested in discussing and finding out about a while back and obsessed over it. Only to find that the steel used in Rolex bracelets is 316L (bar the deepsea), so you're telling me you're going to notice colour differences in the case? which is going to be mostly polished parts anyway..

Any 'more shiney' look is no doubt due to Rolex's extremely superior polishing techniques which comes from using expertise and expensive equiptment.

Many people have said that using a couple of cleaning techniques they've literally had black dirt etc "pouring out of the bracelets".

Keep buying what you like, make smart choices and enjoy the hobby! In all honesty if you showed a gen LV to your friend he would have made some kind of comment about its authenticity anyway.. its a Rolex right?

I own Replicas because when I am done with them, I get to scoff at knuckleheads who pay retail for and inferior watch..........maybe :D

Of course, with vintage watches, I can have my dream watch, at one third the cost:

5512Gilt004.jpg

Anyone who owns/buys a replica hoping to pass it off as a gen to dupe others............won't be found on this forum.

A gen you buy, the wear and just (as well as having spent certainly much more than what is actually true) ^_^ . A replica is more interesting because after the purchase is a long quest for perfection, you want to compare the satisfaction of making a replica closest to the original with several changes, with replacement, change the dial today, then tomorrow the bezel still the case back until your ego is satisfied. Ours is a mission more than un'hobby. Modify, develop, seek componenente which is best on the market, putting together technical skills and knowledge for a purpose:

Enjoy your passion. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thank you.

Archimedes :)

Sorry my anglo-italian :(

If you follow Archimedes' principle, you are a committed hobbyist. I enjoy watches because of their craftsmanship and design culminating into a beautiful piece of metal. Most men aren't into jewelry, but a watch is in fact the perfect piece of jewelry for a man that can express masculinity and style, and serves a useful purpose, such as "what time is it" and "how long have the steaks been on the BBQ".

I first looked seriously at watches at age 19 when I noticed a friend had a sub or gmt master (it was a long time ago). I went into a DF AD shop in Panama, and discovered that the Rollie cost USD 300!!!, a small fortune to me, and almost the tuition for a year's university. Instead, I bought a USD 75 Seiko chronograph with orange dial, and loved it almost as much, and still have it today. I had no idea of what was going to pass in watch inflation over the years and my growing desire to own a Rolex. I now have three gens, SubTT, EXPII and a 1960 GMT Master that belonged to my wife's father. I enjoy wearing them, and indeed did non stop until I rediscovered the quality of reps these days about 4 months ago. (I have a half dozen cheapies I bought in Hong Kong in the 80's that clearly demonstrate the improvements in QC of today). I do not pretend that the are real. But I do marvel at how beautiful the designs are, even if some swiss or italian came up with it first. Finally, they (reps) are affordable, to almost anyone with a job, if only 1 watch is required. And if they break, get it fixed, or get another one. Now I open my drawer every morning to 10 eager puppies wanting to be taken for a walk.

There are many reasons, but owning gens and reps is not a contradiction, or just enjoying great designs, and as some on this forum do, modd the hell out of them, like car and biker owners do. So, in the end, I agree with Ubi, reps are very interesting, and certainly more accessible than the exclusive club of $5,000 to $250,000 gens.

no offense man - is this what we should say when busted?

in what way they are more interesting? they are crappier - definitely! more interesting?- doubt it. B)

Hmmm. I have never been 'busted' for my 'fakes'...

IMG_4445.jpg

IMG_4480.jpg

IMG_4520.jpg

IMG_4509.jpg

IMG_2516.jpg

IMG_2521.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg

IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_8267.jpg

IMG_3231.jpg

IMG_3365.jpg

Some stock, unmodded, unfrankensteined pieces that I haven't done any work on...

IMG_9077.jpg

IMG_2850.jpg

IMG_2863.jpg

And yeah... I think they're much more interesting to build than buying gens... When the topic arises, usually from someone else with an interest in watches that notices what's on my wrist, many are surprised to know that I built what I'm wearing. Discussion usually turns into curiosity- Lots of 'hows', 'what's involved', etc. and if I can build them something. When I have my gen 165.024 on for instance, I say, yeah, it's an oldie, they say 'nice' and the discussion ends there.

IMG_0241.jpg

Besides, it's more fun to build. Anyone can buy a gen with the right means...

Ubi makes it obvious that reps can be so much cooler than gens.

Also, I hate calling something fake when there is so much attention and authentic craftsmanship, either physically or conceptually, put into a rep.

Think about it: How much mental work is put into buying a gen compared to a rep? Not nearly as much. You know every spec of both the rep and the gen when you're serious about this hobby.

Call it a fake if you want, but that would make me question whether you know anything at all about this hobby.

and I dare people to "bust" me on my reps. I don't put them out there for pretentious reasons, and the only reason any human being would call out a watch is to discuss it, have fun with it, or to judge you. Calling out reps calls out fake people (the one's judging not owning) more than it does the watch.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add one of these to my reply:

B)

It's a huge myth that gens are somehow "superior". They're just stainless steel watches that show time. Another myth is the "Rolex shine" which is often exaggerated by people who have never owned a gen. Gen Rolexes don't have any kind of mythical "special feel", either... nothing that would "jump out" anyway. They're rather flimsy stainless steel automatic watches, just like their rep counterparts.

And if you think that RWG members don't own impressive gens, you're sadly mistaken. Actually MOST old time members own many expensive gens. They buy all kinds of watches, and sometimes there isn't enough love for a certain model to justify the $5K price. Sometimes there is, but when there isn't you can get visually 95% replica for $350.

All in all... they're just watches. And we love them. Gens and reps... why limit your options?

May I add one thing.

I really take exception to the use of the word 'fake'. A replica watch is not a 'fake' watch. A 'fake' watch would look like a watch but would not function like a watch ie it would not tell the time. We have replica watches which function as watches ie they tell the time, they are watches. Real watches. OK, they purport to originate from a different place/factory, but that in itself does not stop them from being watches. They are still watches. Real, actual living beating watches. So can we please refer to them as replicas and not fakes. Rant over. Thankyou.

• 1 month later...
May I add one thing.

I really take exception to the use of the word 'fake'. A replica watch is not a 'fake' watch. A 'fake' watch would look like a watch but would not function like a watch ie it would not tell the time. We have replica watches which function as watches ie they tell the time, they are watches. Real watches. OK, they purport to originate from a different place/factory, but that in itself does not stop them from being watches. They are still watches. Real, actual living beating watches. So can we please refer to them as replicas and not fakes. Rant over. Thankyou.

I agree with your thought, the only thing that leaves me puzzled is that legal, for example in Italy is punishable by the Penal Code on Trade and the purchase of replicas, there are heavy fines and complaints to the authorities. Why violate the copyright and misuse of the mark.

Beyond this remains only an expensive game.

Thank you

A watch is a clock, a small clock on your wrist, my wrist goes near my mouth so why should i pay rolex to put their clock in my mouth?

Cause at the end of the day, production costs of a gen versus production costs of a rep would be relatively similar. Materials and technology have come to the point where you don't need to pay an excessive amount for a beautifully constructed watch. Yes a gen carries that feeling of "i am awesome i have a 10k watch" but at the end of the day the watch still cost 50 bucks to make only difference is your paying for Rodger Federer to wear a rollie at Wimbledon....

I will buy another Gen when it makes my coffee, mows the lawn and does the dishes. Otherwise its still a wrist watch just like a seiko ..... It tells the time.

That aside a gen is a great "marvel of engineering" but all you are really paying for in essence is the brand, the difference in materials (barring gold) are negligible....

Hmmmm maybe i will buy one of those benjamin button clocks that goes in reverse.................... Was that a Gen?

If you get nervous and sweaty because of other peoples oppinion on you, better stick with Seikos. Otherwise enjoy your hobby! B)

Hi again guys!

i guess this is quite late reply and i kinda swallowed it in the first place. But then I accidentally ran onto this link http://www.seiyajapan.com/category/2_seiko_mechanical/ and was amazed what Seiko actually makes! So, while some watchmakers produce same model over and over again and at the end of the day you pay for gold case and bracelet - Seiko actually along with classy models goes ahead with technology, stile and quality... So, I honestly do not mind to stick with SEIKOs.

I hope at least some of you would share my opinion...

thanks!