When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

why do you buy fakes?

• 7 months later...

I just bought my first Hublot rep, the reason why I bought it is because I can't justify the price for a real Hublot when I can use the same money to buy a gen Pam SE. I personally don't see Hublot are great watches, I like the design but shocking movement compared to other makes. Also I wanna wear this rep while I am on slightly dodgy places in Eastern Europe, so I can leave my gen at home ;)

I will buy gen when is worth buying, I have gen Rolex and Pams but Hublot is not a brand I will consider worth buying gen for....

+1

Same here. I own gen APs, IWCs, Rolex and one hublot (before the ridiculous price hike of the brand)

Hublot movement and general build quality does not command the kind of asking price, relative to other watch brands. Nice rugged designs though!

Give me a rep hublot any day please. In times when I have the dough, I would rather go with a used gen AP or a good gen rolex. Definitely not an Hublot.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I buy fakes because like many cannot afford the real deal, i know people with real watches and have compared mine with theirs and they are gutted as mine looks and feels as good, reps have come a long way since the cheap chiniseh battery reps of 10 years ago and more modern reps say 7 year old are terrible compared to newer modern ones i like watches always have always will, so i buy reps because i love watches and simply cannot afford gens and even if i could i doubt i would waste so much money on one watch, i mean i can buy 4 or 5 great reps for a grand, what am i going to get for that? not a rolex or omega? maybe a oris or tag which are good watches but i like the feel of a rep rolex on my wrist and no one knows real or not! most could not tell anyway I mean its getting hard for everyone to tell which only means the quality is getting better i think in a few years time not even jewellers could tell the differance.

I have a good friend who makes well in excess of 700K each year and is a watch lover. He owns a few gens and loves them. A few weeks ago I saw him with a brand new sub and asked to see it...it was a rep. He buys a gen but says the reps are so great now he'd rather put the wear and tear on a rep. He keeps the gens in the box for the right place and right time and keeps them pristine as the investments they can be. He says "I have no worries with my rep. I can work out, fix stuff around the house and just generally do anything I want without fear of messing up a near 10k watch." I can't say I blame him. He wears a rep because he loves the look and style of the gen.

• Like 1

beaten to death topic. 

I agree with Ubiquitous, Reps to me ARE more interesting, with the options open to mod and do stuff to them that you would never dream of doing to a gen.

Before you judge me to be another cheapo rep collector, a very brief background

My gens: I own 6 AP ROOs, an IWC, 2 Hublots and 1 rolex, and a nice Rotary watch from one of my buddies here

My Reps: Currently 4 Hublots, 2 ROOs, 2 rolex, 2 Franck Mullers, 3x Cartiers

I own reps because I find some of the models close enough to gen, and its a matter of economy for me. Some reps I bought to try on for fun. I wear reps for travel as well, and there are very interesting looking reps which the gen are no longer available. I also love the process of modding a rep to be a better watch, something I cannot see myself doing with a gen. So you see, the reasons are many.

I like each watch I own, gen or rep. The watches do not judge themselves, its only we and our fellows that judge them. I have said it many times: You wear ANY watch for yourself, because you like it. As for what your neighbor thinks of your watch, it should not be a concern, nor should it really be his business.

If I see a Hublot on a wrist of a man in a mall, I would not bother spending more than 2 sec wondering if it was a gen. That is his business. But if that man is dressed in a torn T shirt, shorts that needed patching 2 years back and flip-flops with no soles, yeah, I would be thinking that the watch is either a stolen one or a rep.

If you want to wear a nice watch, gen or rep, just make sure you look like a man with a nice watch, and not a mismatched work of art. If you would not think of wearing pink shorts and wellingtons with a tuxedo, apply the same sense when wearing a nice watch, and 99% of the time, you would do alright.  

• Like 1