When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

why do you buy fakes?

I really take exception to the use of the word 'fake'. A replica watch is not a 'fake' watch. A 'fake' watch would look like a watch but would not function like a watch ie it would not tell the time. We have replica watches which function as watches ie they tell the time, they are watches. Real watches. OK, they purport to originate from a different place/factory, but that in itself does not stop them from being watches. They are still watches. Real, actual living beating watches. So can we please refer to them as replicas and not fakes. Rant over. Thankyou.

While I get your point, I disagree. They aren't fake watches, that would be ridiculous, but they _are_ fake Rolexes, Omegas, and Breitlings. Rolex wouldn't concern themselves with the production of fake watches (even with the Brand name on them) but they are (or at least make some effort to appear to be) interested in fake Rolexes that work.

I've bought plenty of gen watches over the years, and will continue to do so, but I have no real interest in putting

I buy both reps and gens. The 21j reps are fun for me because I have no worries - I consider them semi disposable.

For example, I have a gen Omega 300m and rep Omega 300m. It's perfect for me to have both because I can go to the beach, park, work in the yard etc... and wear the rep of a watch I love.

I am very happy with the reps I buy. There are quality differences, of course, between the reps and gens (pearl, lume, dial, hands, screw down crown, etc..., etc...), but from a foot away you probably couldn't tell the difference between a good rep and a gen.

I'm very happy with both, as they serve different purposes for me.

I buy both reps and gens. The 21j reps are fun for me because I have no worries - I consider them semi disposable.

For example, I have a gen Omega 300m and rep Omega 300m. It's perfect for me to have both because I can go to the beach, park, work in the yard etc... and wear the rep of a watch I love.

I am very happy with the reps I buy. There are quality differences, of course, between the reps and gens (pearl, lume, dial, hands, screw down crown, etc..., etc...), but from a foot away you probably couldn't tell the difference between a good rep and a gen.

I'm very happy with both, as they serve different purposes for me.

P.S. Not to flame the above posts - but there is a huge difference in materials and quality between a $100 rep and $3k - $5k gen. Don't take my word for it - get any rep and the same gen. Put them side by side and compare with a 10x loupe. Also compare the screw down crown function, etc... . We all know the rep crows strip, but I've never had that problem with a gen. Dials are not even close in quality, neither is the lume, etc..., etc..., etc... .

That said - I still love reps!!!!!!

As a newbie a couple of years ago I asked elsewhere....

"A Newbie asks....

Why do you buy reps?

I guess we all love beautiful things but what makes you buy or evan want a replica, price aside. What floats your boat? Is it just a hobby? What is that hobby? Collection? Making mods? Why do you purchase and collect? What are our individual motives?

Many of the movements in watches we crave are form the same source as the gens and the finishes of the reps get better and better. The latest Breitlings, Steelfish and Chronomat and others are so close, for the man in the street that "no-one" (you know what I mean) can tell the difference. I loved the idea of a Navi, and have done for years but then I don't fly and don't need need the calculation functions so the people I know would wonder why I bought it. It's still looks great though, and so are the fantasy watches.

Most of the people that see thse things on our wrists would know the difference between a rep and a gen, or do they even care? So is it just for us? but do we like getting compliments. Do we want to impress and show off without the cost? Do we want to fool people, especially the possibilities of a AD or a watchmaker? [ I know better!!! ]

I know we want to get the ones that are as accurate as possible but are we obsessed about the minutiae? Are we worried that our purchase could be Tagged (sorry!) as not being a gen?

We know that some "important people" will only waer a cheap Timex, Casio or whatever 'cause a watch just tells the time, right?

I love watches but even I'm not sure why I'm now hooked into reading this forum.

As I said, I'm so confused about my reasons too.

So many questions.

Just asking....

Arlequin"

Anything changed since then?

I've learned a lot (never went anywhere near an AD or watchsmith by the way - I was a newbie that behaved).

The Chief does AR better than gens, The Zigmeister and Vac do outrageously good lume and the "average" gen is well overpriced

For me, I guess it's just just what looks nice, knowing the flaws and the looks of a watch that pleas me. Mainly simplicity.

Personal decisions as to what you like and the flaws YOU can live with or can change.

The only 100 % rep is a gen!

Arlequin

I own an Omega SMP and Oris gen, amongst others,and the watches I wear most frequently are my modded Hublot, modded uPO and Slevin.

Let me also expand on this, 99.9 of people don't give a damn what watch you're wearing, and for this reason alone thats why I love watches. I can walk around wearing either my gens or reps and I'm happy knowing what watch I have on, not whether someone else notices it.

As an aside, go to the sales section and check out Concepta's movements, thats what its all about my friend.

hi guys!

do not get me wrong - i'm one of us... or at least used to be.

so, here's a question - why do you buy fake watches?

Bottom line - are we losers? Why do we buy fakes?

I read your first posting days ago ... and I reflected your interesting question. The result: You are right :blush: .

So since 3 days, i am offering my watches - only the fakes, not the gens ...

thx for your posting, now I feel better .... :o

So if someone likes one of my watches (please have a look on my photo-postings), he should feel free to send a PM to me :surrender:

hi guys!

do not get me wrong - i'm one of us... or at least used to be.

so, here's a question - why do you buy fake watches? You buy it and you, most likely, say to your surroundings that this is a real stuff. Except, may be your closest friends know you bought a knock-off. And you have to hide it sometimes from cool dudes who have real Rolex and Omegas (name it) - because if you put two things aside you are busted! And this is a same to admit you have a rep. Even if you have nothing to compare to your watch some people can easily recognize reps or at least suspect you got one. For example, i showed my submariner LV to one of them - the guy used to have a Rolex. He was amazed about its quality but his first comment was - is not it should be shinier? And he was right - Rolex does not use 316 grade steel! Even whatchmaker9 cannot fix it with all my respect!!! Some watches come with unacceptable quality and we just do not wear them at all!

Over past two ears i have bought more than a dozen watches - i have some Seikos and Citizens also among my Omegas, Rolex, Panerai etc. So, what i noticed recently, that my beater is Seiko diver's watch. Also, simple math - if i saved all the money i spent on replicas i could buy a decent real watch and wear it proudly.

Bottom line - are we losers? Why do we buy fakes?

alex

P.S. I can not stop buying fakes myself - i'm addicted... what will be my next one??? :blowup:

some of my watches:

This is actually a really good post. The same thoughts go through my head daily. I have a small collection of mostly very good quality (at least is theory good the $200+ reps) replicas and for the most part love my collection, however I cant help but sometimes wish i'd saved my money and bought 1 or 2 really nice genuine watches.

I also find myself really wanting to wear a replica but finding it hard to do so when I want the watch to work. That said all my watches work but do so in an inferior way to a cheaper gen. EG: I like to wear my Carrera and aquaracer but always end up going with My Gen Tissot or Swiss Army, just because they are without fault and work!! The Lume is 2X as bright on them, I dont have to look after every hand was or shower to see if they have fogged up, and dont have to hope people dont look to close to see the tiny imperfections that almost all reps have (misaligned bezels, hairs under the glass, crooked hands etc...). My Swiss army Maverick II Is an awesome watch and I actually picked it up cheaper then ANY replica ive ever bought and it looks amazing. Lume is phenomenal, Dial pops, and the workmanship, and style are both top notch.

There is also the re-sale problem. I can sell Gen's I no longer want but dont even bother to try on rep forums etc.

That said I still buy Reps. I just dont completly know why. It's really kind of an addiction... well not kinda..it is!

I'd rather wear a rep over an invictia and day of the week, but take Brands like Tissot, Hamilton, and Swiss Army over any Rep.

Ubi makes it obvious that reps can be so much cooler than gens.

Also, I hate calling something fake when there is so much attention and authentic craftsmanship, either physically or conceptually, put into a rep.

Think about it: How much mental work is put into buying a gen compared to a rep? Not nearly as much. You know every spec of both the rep and the gen when you're serious about this hobby.

Call it a fake if you want, but that would make me question whether you know anything at all about this hobby.

and I dare people to "bust" me on my reps. I don't put them out there for pretentious reasons, and the only reason any human being would call out a watch is to discuss it, have fun with it, or to judge you. Calling out reps calls out fake people (the one's judging not owning) more than it does the watch.

+1 again for me B)

I'd rather wear a rep over an invictia and day of the week, but take Brands like Tissot, Hamilton, and Swiss Army over any Rep.

That's because brands like Tissot, Swiss Army, ESQ (Movado), etc... make VERY good watches at a great value. The reps are fun because you can get a multi-thousand dollar brand name watch for next to nothing that is fun to look at and fun to wear (it's great to wear your favorite rep watch - I have a few Cartier reps I love wearing). But the quality is most certainly better on the brands you named above if you need functionality.

PS: As I write this I am wearing a rep Omega GMT - I love it.

I bought the two reps I own because I was completely in love with the way they look for 1/10th the cost of the actual piece. Has nothing to do with the "brand" ... no one has even heard of Bell & Ross. How could you be pretentious wearing something that no one has ever heard of?

My Grandmother said to me "Oh thats nice. Did you get it at Target?" LOLOLOL

• 1 month later...

no offense man - is this what we should say when busted?

in what way they are more interesting? they are crappier - definitely! more interesting?- doubt it. B)

Im really supprised that you buy reps. :p IT appears to me like your tring to find reasons to put them down. The truth Is most people will never be called out on a rep. The few people that I have shown my reps to are very Impressed and have asked me to give them more Information on where they could buy such a watch. To have a really nice watch for two-three thousand Is no big deal. I mean a watch should be pertty nice when spending that kind of scratch. But to buy a rep thats has a 7750 or a 2824 for around $300.00. I think thats a no brainer. The reason I think Reps are more Interesting than gens Is, well you can have your rep modded. There Is also this mystery about reps. In most cases they have to travel thousands of miles before they get to us. Will they arrive In one piece? Will they arrive at all. Will they work properly? How can we make them better? lume, ar, cg work, etc, etc. etc. My experence Is that If you are worried about being called out on your rep then this hobby Is probably not for you then. I know for myself that I could care less what anyone thinks about my watch. I wear It for my enjoyment not others. The truth Is most people dont really care what kind of watch your wearing. Do you go around staring at peoples watches? Things have been kind of slow (quiet) around RWG lately. Thanks for stirring the pot, gets people a talkin ;) Mike

I like the designs, and the prospect of working on something small and mechanical that I wouldn't do if I had spent $10,000 on it. I like looking at a $100-$200 piece and thinking that I can take it apart and if it breaks I won't be broken. Can't do that with high end gens, and with quartz movements it's not very interesting.

I like the variety of designs. I could buy lots of lower end gens or a few high end gens...but I see more interesting designs in the reps than things like Tissots, or Swiss Army or whatever.

I kind of came into reps by accident, having been looking for a nice watch for a birthday present for myself and pointed to this board by a fellow member on a car forum. I've only really got two true reps at the minute, a quartz BR01 cheapy and the great IWC Portuguese 1939 that's been reviewed on here (with a Sea Dweller now on order too B) ) but they and the homage watches that I've picked up at bargain prices have meant that I now have a selection of watches that I can choose from dependant on what I feel like in the morning. Some days I'm feeling I want to be smart but understated, so I'll pick up the IWC. Other days I want to have something chunky but classless, so I'll strap the SS BR01 homage on. And at the weekends the Big Pilot is the perfect 'casual' watch that goes with jeans or a shirt or a t-shirt...

I could never afford to have more than maybe a couple of decent gen watches if I didn't buy reps and 'buy clever' to maximise the value of my limited funds. I think this is what is attractive to me at the moment - I have so little money, so what can I get that's going to look great but also still be working in a month's time? Through the expertise and knowledge on this forum and RWG1.1, I have so far bought well, and I expect to be still enjoying the watches I've bought for many years, unless I kill them through my own stupidity/clumsiness. It's also quite satisfying when someone compliments you on your watch - what's better, someone complimenting you on something you've spent $3k on and would expect compliments on, or someone complimenting you on something you've spent $50 on? I'd rather know I'm being complimented for my excellent taste rather than the fact I have a wad of spare cash to blow on something small, shiny and labelled.

Overall, though, I think it's just great to have a choice. Could I go back to just one watch now? Not a hope. I've got 9 in the box and two on the way, and there's still so many more great reps out there to buy, even at the amazingly cheap prices for the quality you can get recently.

And if your woman ever moans about how many you've got ('why do you need so many bloody watches??'), just ask her how many handbags and pairs of shoes she has, and whether she would like just one pair... ;)

Edited by Member X

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

There is another point in this topic, I think.... I have several gens and several reps. Buying watches and wearing them develops something in your taste of watches. Your first watch purchase is based on your first taste, gusto. With the next watch you will buy something a bit different, your taste of watch design changes a bit, develops itself. I can observe myself - my taste definitely develops with every watch purchase I am making. Buying reps can accelerate the process greatly! I would spend the lifetime to develop actual desire for watch design buying only gens!

For me as others have said it is because I don't have enough money to buy the genuine thing. I would never pass off a rep as gen as that would make me a chump of the highest order.

Maybe one day I can afford a gen one day but for now reps allow me to wear the watch I like at a price I can afford.

• 4 weeks later...

Rep:

If I drop it on the floor. Oh well.

If I got bored. Let's open the caseback and mess around with it. [censored], I've broke it. Let's sell the parts on RWG :)

But the number one reason why rep is so fun:

Modification!!

Hmm, I don't like the dial, let's buy another rep and swap the dial. Look, I have one of a kind watch here :)

• 5 months later...

Rep:

If I drop it on the floor. Oh well.

If I got bored. Let's open the caseback and mess around with it. [censored], I've broke it. Let's sell the parts on RWG :)

But the number one reason why rep is so fun:

Modification!!

Hmm, I don't like the dial, let's buy another rep and swap the dial. Look, I have one of a kind watch here :)

But now days you can do mods of "not"-fakes to. there's a bunch of makers who sells aftermarket parts for a number of brands.

I opend this topic about two years ago and surprised to see it's been read during this time.

I discovered Seiko for myself as my favorite brand. Not just Seiko - Japanese market Seiko. They make outstanding quality watches for their market. Only sources of the watches are online sellers from Japan (seiya, chino brothers, higuchi) and you know... e*b*a*y... I don not regret to move from fakes to Seiko. They are awesome and because they are different from what you can buy in North America for instance - they stand out. Just check out some models - google it - SARB001, sarb005, sarb 003, sarb021, sarb033, sarb017, sarb065, sarb057, sbdc005, sbdc001, sbdc003....

Also japanese Orient - same story!

all these watches and a number of other models will please you more than any fake... And if you get bored - buy some spare parts and install a new bezel, dial or hands.

Good luck everyone!

alex

post-16289-0-37324100-1291837478.jpg

post-16289-0-01839300-1291837518.jpg

• 1 year later...

I just bought my first Hublot rep, the reason why I bought it is because I can't justify the price for a real Hublot when I can use the same money to buy a gen Pam SE. I personally don't see Hublot are great watches, I like the design but shocking movement compared to other makes. Also I wanna wear this rep while I am on slightly dodgy places in Eastern Europe, so I can leave my gen at home ;)

I will buy gen when is worth buying, I have gen Rolex and Pams but Hublot is not a brand I will consider worth buying gen for....