When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The favourite Rolex divers watch - please vote!

chefcook

Your favourite Rolex divers watch  

61 members have voted

1. 1. SeaDweller

• 116660 SeaDweller Deepsea
    • 16600 SeaDweller
    • 16660 SeaDweller
    • 1665 SeaDweller - The great white
    • 1665 SeaDweller Submariner 2000 - the red
  2. 2. Submariner Date

• 116613 / 116618 / 116619 - the new ones with ceramic bezel
    • 16610 / 16613 / 16618 Submariner Date
    • 16800 / 16803 / 168000 Submariner Date
    • 1680 / 1680/8 Submariner Date WHITE
    • 1680 Submariner Date RED
  3. 3. Submariner No Date

• 14060 /M
    • 5514 COMEX - This watch was the SeaDweller's mother
    • 5517 - The military submariner
    • 5508 / 5510 / 6200 / 6204 / 6205 / 6536 / 6538 - pretty old stuff

Hello everybody,

I had discussed this topic with some watch addicts yesterday and we only came to one answer: They all are great. There is no favourite Rolex diver's watch. All of them have their right to exist, somehow.

Do you share this opinion? Or do you have a favourite? Let us know...

Cheers,

M.

Hard to pick just one when they are all fantastic in their own right.

Always interesting to look back on the model refs and to observe the technical changes each has made throughout the years. Rolex divers have remained pretty true to form, with only slight changes and revisions made throughout. No unnecessary frills or gimmicks...

When thinking of all the reference no.s for this poll I realised that there were over 50 variations of the Rolex diver's up to now. 29 different references so far - no. 30 will follow next year with the new 116610 - and a huge number of variations to each reference number

For example about sixteen different case / strap / dial combos for the 16610 Submariner date: "Swiss T<25" dial with Tritium in a lugholed case without etched crown and with LELs, "Swiss" dial with Luminova in a lugholed case with LELs, "Swiss" dial with Luminova in a lugholed case with SELs, "Swiss Made" dial with Superluminova in a lugholed case with SELs, the same with laser etched crown, the same without lugholes, the same with engraved rehaut, Maxi-Dial for the LV with and without engraved rehaut... mulitplied by two for the round and flat S dials...

I had to vote for the old stuff. Of all my watches the 6536 gets the most use because it just does it all, and does it well. It's small enough to disappear on the wrist; I forget I'm wearing it. And it's apparently indestructible, so it gets my vote.

Hey wait a minute, can I vote once in each other category too? ;)

I'm with you on that, CF! Oldies and mids are my pref as well- Just something about those matte dials, the acrylic crystals... But the crisp, clean look and feel of the modern pieces can't be discounted either! For the transitionals, the combo of matte with sapphy combines the best of both :) Something to appreciate in every category and with every model, I think...

I'm with you on that, CF! Oldies and mids are my pref as well- Just something about those matte dials, the acrylic crystals... But the crisp, clean look and feel of the modern pieces can't be discounted either! For the transitionals, the combo of matte with sapphy combines the best of both :) Something to appreciate in every category and with every model, I think...

It's hard to change a true-blue rollie guy like you, Ubi! ^_^

Though i have to agree with you too!

Well, it took me a while to figure this out! You're supposed to vote once in each category! I kept just voting for the 16800, but got an error message. So I voted for the GWSD, the 16800 and the 5508, and it looks like it worked!

The 16800 has become my grail watch of sorts, with a gen matte dial, a gen tritium dial w/ wg surrounds that still glows- a late 90's replacement dial, and the 16800 franken w/ the relumed matte dial, it's certainly my favorite model. The sapphire crystal does show smudges, but I do feel it's a heartier watch than the plastic crystal subs.

When thinking of all the reference no.s for this poll I realised that there were over 50 variations of the Rolex diver's up to now. 29 different references so far - no. 30 will follow next year with the new 116610 - and a huge number of variations to each reference number

For example about sixteen different case / strap / dial combos for the 16610 Submariner date: "Swiss T<25" dial with Tritium in a lugholed case without etched crown and with LELs, "Swiss" dial with Luminova in a lugholed case with LELs, "Swiss" dial with Luminova in a lugholed case with SELs, "Swiss Made" dial with Superluminova in a lugholed case with SELs, the same with laser etched crown, the same without lugholes, the same with engraved rehaut, Maxi-Dial for the LV with and without engraved rehaut... mulitplied by two for the round and flat S dials...

No wonder I'm confused by all the different models and what they should have! :blink: lol

I went for the red oldies... not really a ralex kinda guy anymore ... but that's what got me into reps!

Though I wouldn't mind an Ubiquitous El Primero Daytona ;)

Hmmm I'd almost forgotten I still have a genuine movement, as well as a genuine V72... I really should get to work on them someday!

I'm partial to 16610 and 16600. It's a tough battle between 14060 and 5513 though... love them both.

Red dials are outstanding and represent something really desirable in the Rolex lineup but I never liked the bulged crystal on my 1680 rep... I prefer the modern sapphire models... they're just about perfect in every way. I have never owned a vintage Dweller with the "Dome" so I don't know how that would feel.

DeepSea is simply terrible (imho) and the new design of Submariner leaves me cold. Why did they change the case shape which was iconic?

Now another question: How did the availability of good reps of ALL models we choose as favourites influence your vote?

For example the modern 16610 had it's popularity boost over the last 1.5 years since the first WM9 and Euromariners. And there is not one good 14060 rep...

I would love to see a fantastic rep of the 14060.

Ditto.

However the upcoming WM9 Classic Dweller is the answer for people who dislike the cyclops. But yeah, 14060 is very attractive in many ways.

I wonder if Rolex still leaves the 14060 to their lineup when the new SS Sub comes out eventually.