When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Guangzhou watch markets.

offshore

haha, one of my favorite things about Guangzhou watch market is the fresh corn cobs (2RMB)and bananas (1RMB) they sell for 30 and 15 cents each, how did u miss that in the pictures of the streets?? :)

met another one of the few GZ sellers with high quality.

very very nice guy. i bought a watch from another competitor for a cheaper price, and he was fine with it and examined my new purchase for me.

Seems to be a very honest guy.

he runs enjoywatchesdotcom and actually speaks english

they all say they have access to same watches, but their prices do vary

but different factories do make the same models, so they vary slightly.

for quality its 1000- 2000 RMB

The problem is they all "say" they have the high quality ones, but not in stock to show you, even in their offices.

for example, Mark said i have to buy a Cartier santos first before i can even see it, while enjoywatch guy showed it to me right there in the market, not even an office trip.

however, he does have a ton of models in stock to show you, so i will definitely check him out next time i'm here.

Bottom line: Any more info on who are the quality sellers located in Guangzhou???

By any chance could I have the e-mail also?

I'm planning to head to china and HK the begining of July. I'm just now starting to do my research. I'm supposed to only go to HK and Beijing. However a trip to the GZ may be in order if I can line up things properly.

I'll be hunting for a nice Paneri and a Cartier Santos.

I'm an old member, but more about soaking in the talk than posting. =P. I've only owned 1 rep, and finally looking to expand.

Edited by chinaonnitrous1

haha, one of my favorite things about Guangzhou watch market is the fresh corn cobs (2RMB)and bananas (1RMB) they sell for 30 and 15 cents each, how did u miss that in the pictures of the streets?? :)

I dont remember the street vendor foods in GZ. However the biggest thing I remembered about my trip is that China has the worst beer ever. Anything imported is a million times better...

I dont remember the street vendor foods in GZ. However the biggest thing I remembered about my trip is that China has the worst beer ever. Anything imported is a million times better...

Thats because what there are, are wholly forgettable

Travelling on to GZ from Thailand - where you are totally spoilt for food & drink - (as I always do) you definitely have to keep reminding yourself that this isn't some hellish afterlife you've descended into where for punishment there's no readily available culinary delights and the beer is warm & appalling.

Travelling on to GZ from Thailand - where you are totally spoilt for food & drink - (as I always do) you definitely have to keep reminding yourself that this isn't some hellish afterlife you've descended into where for punishment there's no readily available culinary delights and the beer is warm & appalling.

China is the epitome of reverse engineering, yet they can't produce finer tasting beer.

• 7 months later...

So heres a question; why arent the really good reps like we have access to available there at the markets? Surely these watches are made in 1000s, so where is the main chunk going to? Random internet buyers? Me think not !

Hi,

the thing is that the watches on the ground level in the displays are crap. The high quality stuff is on the upper floors in offices. This is how it went down in my case: I met my contact at the intersection, took me up the elevator to the 5th floor or so. There she knocked on a door with a certain knocking code and it opened up. Inside was a waiting section and two sofas and a huge display with all kinds of watches. All the high quality stuff we also get from our dealers. But prices were much cheaper. Some people would be shocked. In my case, the dealer's english was really bad but I had an interpreter with me. That bad english probably justifies why her prices were so good - for example: an average A7750 Watch (like a porto chrono or IWC pilot chrono) was $180. There were also two other guys in there waiting to get served, both were from France but didn't know each other. The lady told me she also maintains 3 assembly factories somewhere in the boondocks around guangdong district. I bought some reps there. As her prices were so fantastic, I later tried to order from her, but it's such a pain in the ass, because her english is really bad and she has no paypal, doesn't accept CC and bankwire - strictly western union. As WU fees are ridiculously expensive, it never came to a remote purchase. It's only worth buying from her when you're there. I am in quite good terms with her and whenever I go back there, I want her to show me the assembly factories or other mysteries of the rep business!

simzger

Edited by simzger

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

You obviously didn't try Tsingtao. Excellent beer.

Why?

The brewery was originally built by the Germans, when they had a concession in Quingdao city. The brewery is now Chinese owned and run - but they still use the same recipe and method originated by the Germans.

• 1 year later...

+1 doe tsingtao...... been living on the stuff for 2 years now!!

Sorry to raise a old post, Im heading to GZ in a few days, Any advise or tips would be great. Looking more for movements/dials etc, but I'm sure ill come back with a watch or two swell.

Thanks

Dan

+1 doe tsingtao...... been living on the stuff for 2 years now!!

Sorry to raise a old post, Im heading to GZ in a few days, Any advise or tips would be great. Looking more for movements/dials etc, but I'm sure ill come back with a watch or two swell.

Thanks

Dan

an interesting Tsing Tao snippet:

A few years back, a business associate of mine in the brewing industry brokered a deal selling all of the brewing equipment from the defunct Narragansett brewery in Rhode Island(my home state) to the Tsing Tao folks in Shanghai...

So maybe a little of that "down home" character comes out in the product..??

lol, an 09 posting.

Reading up on the GZ markets looks similar to the other mass markets in China. All the cheaper sellers in the lower floors and better quality ones up top floors. I'm going to have to schedule a trip to GZ next time in China. I wonder how much has been "cleaned" up since new crackdowns.

I agree the domestic beer in China is some of the worst, but at least its cheaper then a coke at most places.